MidgetTurin

Watry

Daily Driver
IMG_5289.JPG IMG_5290.JPG IMG_5293.JPG This isn't exactly a rear wheel drive Fiat, but it's a rear wheel drive MG Midget with a 1438 twin cam and five-speed in it. Converted 15-20 years ago, used as a daily driver for years, a dent took it off the road, I bought it a month ago. Seller was in the process of bolting on an Alquati downdraft manifold and two 40 IDF carbs, which didn't fit well in the chassis, gave up, sold it. I am putting the stock manifold back on and a stock carb or a DGV I have. I did the timing belt and tensioner pulley yesterday, have a water pump coming. Distributor is sorted and will go back in.

I wasn't exactly looking for this, but it's pretty interesting, and a clean conversion for the most part.
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I wasn't sure if you could edit it or not, so I changed it. I am not sure if this is a moderator only thing or not. Do you see a "thread Tools" drop down menu at the upper right above the very first post in this thread? If so, that's where I found an "Edit Thread" option that let me change the title.

I do see that, thanks. I'm so used to the AlfaBB, very hard to adjust headings there once wrong.
Hope to attempt to fire this thing by the weekend. Brakes need finishing, then will attempt driving. Stock mechanical fuel pump works.
Andrew

Question. My old 128 with 1500 X1/9 engine used #4 for ignition timing. It looks in the factory manual the 1438 uses #1, but the cam lobes look like #4 is the one. So I'm confused. Thank you.
Andrew

Me like. I've had two Midgets. Now, I'm not sure what to think of Italian and British mixed, I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing will work ever.

Yeah, if what they wanted was more power, you can get a ton out of an A series 1275. Probably was just the cheapest/easiest way to replace a blown engine or something. I don't know.
Got the manifold in. Will go with a DGV, the stock carb is too messed up. Tested the starter, hope to get it running this weekend.
Andrew

Question. My old 128 with 1500 X1/9 engine used #4 for ignition timing. It looks in the factory manual the 1438 uses #1, but the cam lobes look like #4 is the one. So I'm confused. Thank you.
Andrew

I would say you could use either, if you are timing via the flywheel or the crank pulley. On a inline 4 engine, the #1 and #4 pistons move in lock step. One will fire on one revolution of the engine, the other on the next. So as far as the flywheel or crank go (which is where the ignition timing marks will be), it does not really matter.

Cool little car, by the way. Good find!

Pete

Nice.
I have had three Sprite/Midgets.
Great cars, but the transmissions (and engines) could be better.
So a swap to an italian heart is just what the doctor ordered. :)

Nice.
I have had three Sprite/Midgets.
Great cars, but the transmissions (and engines) could be better.
So a swap to an italian heart is just what the doctor ordered. :)
I agree, not that I would know really but no great love for British mechanicals (or electrics). Just the overall design, small responsive roadster, great fun. Although I did have great fun with the SU carburetors, seriously, I like those.

Yes, I understand re timing. It's just the book doesn't explicitly say. Easy enough to move the dist rotor 180* if needed.
Got the 1438 manifold in. Took some work, the studs were all bent. I had to trim a couple down, replace one with a bolt. Now all good. Put on the DGV; the original vacuum-secondary carb was too heat-warped to make sense. The mounting face and the float bowl surface were visibly not flat. DGV has throttle and choke on the other side, but I'll make it work. Cams, tappets look good, cam timing is right on.
Trimmed an Alfa plastic fan to fit on the water pump pulley, will discard the mondo electric fan that made the radiator unremoveable. Once the water pump shows up, will install, then put some fuel in in. Starter works, engine turned over! 10+ years since use, fingers crossed.
Andrew

Not too lead us too far from Turin, but yes, I like SUs also. My dad bought an MGA Twin Cam new, I taught myself to deal with the SUs. Even better, the Hitachi license-built SUs on a 240Z had a much simpler jet setup that didn't require centering. But great carbs, yes.
Andrew

So I got it running yesterday, drove it up and down the driveway with the handbrake (waiting for brake parts and wheel bearings). Some sorting of ignition, and confirmed when cam marks and ignition timing are lined up, #4 is firing, not #1. So moved the dist shaft, and it started. I had previously confirmed Fiat fuel pump worked, had oil pressure, and changed the remote filter. Coughed and sputtered, hasn't run in 10 years, eventually evened out and seems OK. Some blowby, that will dissipate I hope as the rings get comfy with the bores. Pretty cool. I have a cam belt cover coming from Lenny at Auto Italia.
LF wheel bearings have Capn Crunch or something else in them, one wheel stud is broken and the other three are half worn through, so not gonna drive it til I sort all that. Have the first on your block!
Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_5353.JPG
    IMG_5353.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 133
Back