Mini-Project: Install Stainless Steel Exhaust Brackets

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Remember those really well-done stainless steel exhaust brackets that XWeb member sawadee-khap was selling?

I bought some from the first batch and am just now (!!!) getting around to installing them.

But first a detour.

While I am doing this mini-project, I am thinking of how I have blasphemously ignored this XWeb Article Of Faith: Thou Shalt Remove Thy Insulation From Between Thy Muffler Heat Shielding and Thy Trunk Floor, Lest Thine Precious Exxie Suffer The Perdition Of Iron Oxidation!

Since the muffler and cat are on the garage floor already, it's only a small task to remove the heat shielding and see if my Exxie is suffering from eternal damnation :eek:

You be the judge:

20190407_173851.jpg

20190407_173751.jpg

20190407_173731.jpg

[Content will be updated when task is completed, within the next couple of days.]

Last edited:
Does all that insulation actually accomplish anything other than retain moisture and generate rust?

What a coincidence - I pulled out all of that insulation from mine yesterday as well. Luckily I found things to be in a similar state, largely spared from rust except for some small areas of surface corrosion that I dressed.

Did you put the aluminum heat shields back in place minus the insulation? Without the insulation present, the mounting tabs don't hold the heat shields very firmly. I'm not sure how necissary they are . . .

Does all that insulation actually accomplish anything other than retain moisture and generate rust?

To determine whether it accomplishes anything, we'd have to come up with a temperature test with and without. If it turns out that (1) the insulation actually does reduce temps, and (2) you want reduced temps, and (c) you value said reduced temps over the risk of creating or exacerbating rust, then it would make sense to keep it.

It is an Article of Faith here that the insulation is on the whole a "bad thing" but it doesn't seem to be an issue with my car...

What a coincidence - I pulled out all of that insulation from mine yesterday as well. Luckily I found things to be in a similar state, largely spared from rust except for some small areas of surface corrosion that I dressed.

Did you put the aluminum heat shields back in place minus the insulation? Without the insulation present, the mounting tabs don't hold the heat shields very firmly. I'm not sure how necissary they are . . .

I will be putting the insulation and the heat shielding back in place. The insulation that you see in my current pics is not original; the last pic in this post shows the original stuff in "as pulled" condition. The current stuff if actually fiberglass ceiling tile from Home Depot--it comes with a thin white vinyl layer that would face toward the room, which of course I peeled off. It is held in place on the heat shields with a hi-temp reddish glue that you can see some traces of here and there.

I guess if you carry your Godiva Chocolates in the rear trunk the insulation would be important, my rear trunk is just a parts tray for when I work on them motor.

A non water holding insulation like mineral wool would be ideal here. Non flammable and doesn’t attract nor hold water.

Pics of the new stainless exhaust hangers in-place:

20190410_193656.jpg

20190410_193650.jpg

Here are the original ones, which I had powder coated back in 2009/10:

20190410_201329.jpg

That is the box in which XWeb member sawadee-khap mailed the stainless hangers. The postage says I got them in 2017 :rolleyes:

I was wondering what that sheet of insulation was, just kind of resting there, seemed odd. Thanks for posting this as it seems I may need to do a similar job sometime in not too distant future. That is a clean machine!

Back