Money as Dept

jjay911

True Classic
Look I have been with you guys for a while. And most of you come off as pretty intellectual. So here goes. Lets see how many of you can answer the question.

Where does Money come from?

No........... Bueler? Any takers???

Its long so I am betting most of you wont get past 10 minutes.... Its worth it....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3sKwwAaCU"]Money As Debt-Full Length Documentary - YouTube[/ame]

Where does money come from?

The pressing need to avoid barter. And the equally pressing need to avoid barter with goats you don't have now but probably will have in spring. I didn't watch the video but if it didn't make those two points in some way I would be very surprised.:laugh:

The pressing need to avoid barter. And the equally pressing need to avoid barter with goats you don't have now but probably will have in spring. I didn't watch the video but if it didn't make those two points in some way I would be very surprised.:laugh:

watch the video.. its sobering.....:wink2:

Seen it before and watched...

about 2/3 of it just now. It isn't saying anything untrue, but it isn't saying anything that hasn't been said in most economics classes for decades. In fact it is very similar in concept to Marxist analysis of capital formation. The problem with an explanation like this is that it treats money and the economy like they are 'things' that can and should be weighed up on a balance scale and be the same. But the economy is not a 'thing' it is a vastly complicated web of interactions and a process that extends across both space and time. In order for a 'money' system to accomodate that extension in space and, especially time, 'money' can't be a thing that tries to run around balancing itself against all that activity. It too has to be a kind of dynamic process which is really just a score keeper on all the transactions, making sure in the first place that those transactions don't get counted twice.
I suspect this video was produced by the gold guys. But gold is a dead issue as a basis for 'money' backing-it just is and as the film depicts it wouldn't matter if it was re-established as a standard either because the inevitible pressure from capital formation would make it collapse just like it did before.
Debt is scary, but it just a tool and when it gets out of control it can do a lot of damage, when in control it allows a new tent to be bought and used over the winter while waiting for the spring goats to be born and given in payment to the tentmaker for his faith in the borrower.:laugh:

A simplistic but good explanation I once heard:

Money is a unit of your future labour owed.

I've come to think of money like this, and when spending, I'm always asking myself whether or not I really wanna owe the particular recipient of my labour. There's damn few institutions and/or organizations out there that I feel inclined to give my life and labour to...the family and friends come first! And next are a few good wine producers in the south of France. And the Fiat mechanic. Not necessarily in that order.

Yeah, that is the...

basic drift in neo-Marxian analysis (David Harvey being the most prominent of that group-also the most verbose and disorganized writer I have encountered in a long time. Very jolly company but he loses focus very easily!)

Money thought of that way lines up pretty well with any sysrem that founds itself on a 'labor valution' philosophy. It is certainly the prime mover behind 'consumer credit' which truly is minting money out debt at the loan's inception.

Back