Monterey Concorso '23

tigeravg

True Classic
I had a great time meeting you all, talking about mods, and exchanging X ideas (in person). I got to scope-out some really neat cars, and everyone was super generous with their time.
Many thanks to Tim H. and all the other cool folks I met at the show.
IMG_4022.jpg

That looks real fresh.... Make ME want to cry. Can imaging how the owner feels...

View attachment 76743

He set the brake when he drove in, and stepped a few feet away. As the brakes cooled it started rolling, and hit a tree. Could have been a lot worse!

Lesson, always park in gear. Especially if your brakes are hot.
This is a good reason to have 100% coverage collector car insurance. To match the paint they might get to do the entire car over.

That looks real fresh.... Makes ME want to cry. Can't imaging how the owner feels...

View attachment 76743
Spoke to the couple who owned this car. He just finished the restoration the previous week. This was the car's first outing. Both husband and wife were shook up but surprisingly stoic. Her...sliiightly more so than him.

BTW, I too learned a hard lesson regarding the parking brake. I (automatically) set the parking brake after some very hard-driving of a Crown Vic, only to have smoke-then-flames pointed out to me within a minute of walking from the car. Rookie move. Embarrassing.

Last edited:
That looks real fresh.... Makes ME want to cry. Can't imaging how the owner feels...

View attachment 76743
Actually, reality is even worse. I judged Lancia as I've done for many years. When he arrived, I positioned this car. He stopped about a foot short of lining-up with the other cars. I told him that was close enough. A few hours later, he decided to move the car up that foot. But, when he released the parking brake, the parking brake stuck. So, instead of asking someone for help, he got out of the car, with the parking brake off and the transmission in neutral, went to the front of the car and pushed. It worked. The parking brake unjammed and the car started moving. But, he was parked on a pretty good incline and he couldn't run fast enough to get back in the car and stop it before it backed into the tree. He was holding the driver's door when it hit. The car was even a contender for 1st or 2nd Place.

Sure are a lot of Ferrari owners. And someone drove an exxe from Idaho?!?
The X from Idaho was perfectly stock with very low miles. It's owned by a friend of the owner of Concorso Italiano, Tom McDowell. The owner shipped the car to the event and, at Tom's request, we got the car from the transporter and placed it on the green for the owner that couldn't make it.

Since this year is the 50th Anniversary of the first sale of the X1/9 in Europe, it was celebrated at Concorso Italiano. So, we had 12 X1/9s show up. They all had different wheels!

The X from Idaho was perfectly stock with very low miles. It's owned by a friend of the owner of Concorso Italiano, Tom McDowell. The owner shipped the car to the event and, at Tom's request, we got the car from the transporter and placed it on the green for the owner that couldn't make it.
A tad confused. I believe the only X with an Idaho plate was mine (Gold '78, backdated, custom bumpers). It is anything but perfectly stock.

I don't recall the plate on the red, late model X (to the right of mine) which took first place for Fiats, and I never got to meet the owner of that car. Might that be the X trucked in (and pal of the CI owner) you are talking about?

And I'm guessing the fires down south had something to do with quite a few expected X's not making the field.

Sadly my '79 X1/9 did not make it. I came in my 2018 124 Fiat Spider Lusso. We were the bastard step children of the show parked up and around behind some trees.

Back