Monty Python - Camp Army Drill Team

You know.. what I think is funny about this is to contemplate the uproar this scene would cause if SNL did a similar skit today. A larger portion of the American publics collective heads would explode that they were being unpatriotic enough towards our troops risking their lives overseas to protect our rights 'LIKE FREE SPEECH'!!! We'd have to endure people on 24/7 news channels lamenting how this must effect military moral, etc.

I think a movie like "Stripes" would be dead in the water today... implying that soldiers don't want to be there, or are stupid, or psycho.. Subject material that is very touchy compared to years past. In previous years, the whole movie could be based on what a group of idiots, slackers and degenerates the platoon was made of... Gunney Highway whipped a whole bunch of them into shape in Heartbreak Ridge! Today, I can hear Sean Hannity complaining that this 'Hollywood representation of our fine military is a disgrace!'

The sad part is it's the truth!

Sure there are a ton of upstanding people in the military. When I was in Naval Flight Training I was constantly amazed at the caliber of most of my classmates. But...

I was in flight training with a few college grads who signed up mainly because "Once I heard you could defer college loan payments while on active duty... I decided 'What the hell!!! I'll do it!' "

I met another dude who graduated from a seminary college and at a party he told me that he wanted to get assigned to A6 Intruders for the Navy, because it carried the most bombs and could therefore kill the most non-Christians in the upcoming religion war. I actually busted out laughing when he told me that, then there was that moment of uncomfortable silence when I realized he was dead serious.

A close friend of mine (one who mentioned the college loan thing!) ended up with a Marine pilot as a roommate for a while, and that guy would bring guns or knives in the room if someone brought over a girlfriend or wife! No women around, he seemed normal... as soon a gal was around, he'd walk to his room, and come back with a knife and start sharpening it! The guy looked like "Private Pyle" off Full Metal Jacket to really make it weird.

I think an A6 did carry a larger load than the F18 which has replaced that role in the fleet. Silly accuracy has eliminated much of the need for sheer tonnage. The F18's range is a bit of a problem... and I don't know if it's all weather radar is quite as capable as the sucker hiding under the Intruders big nose. GPS and lasers get it done pretty good today rather than relying on operator finesse.

I just googled it... the A6 could carry 18,000 pounds... the new Super Hornet can carry 17,750!!! Intruder by a nose!

Having grown up near NAS Oceana, I can assure you the A6 is a bunch louder, if that counts for anything!

A6's were pretty much on the way out when we were in Pensacola in training... most guys who got A6's... eventually went to EA6 Prowlers, the electronic warfare bird...

Last edited:
I was stationed at Oceana from 94 to 98

and the A6's were VERY loud! I was there when they left Oceana for good. I'm glad I wasn't there to see the F14's go. I always loved watching those fly.

I lived over in Wellington Woods off Great Neck Rd, right in the 'pattern'! When I was younger in grade school and we were there, I remember we'd sometimes stop talking when a F4 or A6 screamed overhead... When we moved back stateside and the F4's were gone, and the sky overhead was filled with F14's their constantly changing whistle seemed almost quiet! The occasional A6 coming by seamed deafening compared to everything else in the air.

The F14s would sweep their wings forward and come by a lower throttle settings... where F4's seemed to be nose high riding a higher throttle to keep from stalling out of the sky... flying by sheer jet thrust and force rather than keeping a steady flow of 'bernoullis' over the wings!:)

I was a little kid living there when a F4 dropped out of the sky and crashed in the back of Laurel Cove... man, that was scary. Made you look at those roaring fighters overhead in a whole new light.

Back