Monza style gas filler?

I guess I was looking for one that came with a threaded adaptor to thread on to the X filler cap threads and make a nice simple conversion.

to thread on to the X filler cap threads
I believe the Fiat's filler neck/cap threads are not a common size (surprise). So even if such a type of flip cap was available, it is very doubtful they would make one that fits the Fiat. However I don't recall ever seeing any that are made to mount that way. Most either have the hose slip-fit neck or a flat flange to be welded or bolted to the tank.

As you know a lot of older motorcycles also had flip caps. They are smaller and might clear the Fiat's sail panel and rear glass in the stock location. But they were part of the bike's tank so figuring out how to connect one to the stock filler pipe would be a challenge.

I agree this mod could get to be more work than it's worth. Although I will be modifying the entire engine cover area on the turbo car, it still may not be simple to do with a stock tank. However the outlaw car will get the front mounted fuel cell, so I might add the flip cap to it - sticking through the frunk lid like I mentioned before.

Anyone make a Monza style flip up gas cap that is not terribly involved to install on a later style X gas neck? I know that BAT sells a lot of them but not aware of any that would be simple to install. Not ready to reinvent something that may have already been done.
I've collected a few examples from the web, but not sure how easy they are to execute...

Attachments

• Tankdeckel from zodiag.jpg
    Tankdeckel from zodiag.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Mark Groom.jpg
    Mark Groom.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 62
Erwin, you did note that the red car has a DCfiats sticker so it must belong to one of our members, any idea who?
BAT is a company that started out selling after market parts for the old Ford Fiesta and some other smaller Fords. They currently sell a vast array of Monza style caps.

The second example on the black(?) X you posted ("Mark Groom.jpg") looks like it would work due to two things. For one it appears to be a smaller version of the flip cap - at least it is much smaller than the one I have. That would allow it to open in a tighter space without hitting anything. And the other thing is it's mounted at an angle, tilted away from the rear glass and the side sail panel. That will also allow more room for the top to open without hitting. I'm not sure what was done to accommodate that angle, but shouldn't be too difficult to do. Those two factors combined seems to make it work in what I believe is the stock location. However I cannot tell if the stock plastic surround has been modified - can anyone make out if it is still stock?

The other two examples with flip caps do not look like they will open without hitting. I'm not sure what their functionality actually is?

Last edited:
The earlier idea about using a "fake" flip cap with a regular cap inside it brought up another idea. I've seen attachments for gas filler necks that are designed to be "capless" (so to speak). They allow the pump nozzle to enter through a 'trapdoor' that seals the neck when the nozzle is removed - but without an actual cap. If something like that could be added to the filler neck under/behind a flip cap, it would help prevent the leaks that flip caps are prone to. And it might allow the flip cap to be positioned differently, to allow better access without compromising its functionality. I'm not sure how much that would really help but may be something to play with and find out.

By the way, is that what's in the first photo (red X, "tankdeckel from zodiag") - a fake cover over a regular cap?

Erwin, you did note that the red car has a DCfiats sticker so it must belong to one of our members, any idea who?
That's mine. One of my winter projects from a few years back. I always wanted to find a way to mount the cap from a TR6, the most beautiful cap ever, on the X. The flatter more angled styling fits well, and it is raw aluminum, not chrome. I found the cap many moons ago when one could still find the occasional TR6 on CA junkyards. I had to cut into the plastic surround and place and angle it exactly so that it could open without hitting or scratching anything. Hence it's not straight, but diagonally mounted. I also had to butcher the X filler neck, so it is not a easy screw on fix. But the end result is pretty neat looking :)

The other two examples with flip caps do not look like they will open without hitting. I'm not sure what their functionality actually is?
I know mine opens and closes fine (red one) and I'm sure the other ones would work too. The flush motorcycle style one is from a German guy who was starting to market odd little custom touches like but I'm not sure it ever became anything

Thanks Erwin. The cap I have is also from a TR6, so it is very encouraging that you made it work. Honestly when I did a quick trial fitting, I did not attempt to angle it like you describe. So it would not work. But after seeing those pics you posted, I can see how the angle will definitely help. When you say "angle it" are you referring only to the rotation, or to the actual tilt relative to the flat surrounding area?

Back