More alternator woes

emrliquidlife

True Classic
Okay, so I replaced the brushes on my alt two weeks ago. Now I have found that my alternator will drop voltage to almost nothing.

On an 85, where is the voltage regulator? Is it in the alt?

I think I am going to put on a spare alt, but have no idea how hard this job is.

Voltage is 11.5 both with the car off and on.

Ed

Last edited:
Further definitions here.

Used to be that getting the car some RPM, 2,000 would get the voltage up, now it won't. Sometimes while on the fwy it will start charging, but with any RPM over 4k it will simply stop charging.

Grrrr.

Brushes and regulator in one!

The brushes are part of the regulator, so maybe your replacement part is no good, or the brushes aren't seating in the prior brushes' wear grooves.

Instant fix! Thanks. I simply took out the part, then reinstalled and instant voltage!

Thanks. I was about to take out the whole alt. Free beer for you.

Ed

Well, I had it with the voltage fluctuating and just went to a new alt. Runs great. Never had voltage so high.

I was suprised at how easy the job was. The access panel in the back makes the job a snap.

Ed

YEP! And if ya have a '78 or earlier...

... cutting an access panel will take less time than trying to get to the alternator from below!

Question?

Did you change the brushes for the alternator with the alternator on the car?

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

TK... this is what he said...

"Instant fix! Thanks. I simply took out the part, then reinstalled and instant voltage!

Thanks. I was about to take out the whole alt. Free beer for you."

So yeah... he left the alternator in the car!

Back