More tires issues

Coupefan

True Classic
I'm starting to panic a little. The Sumi 185/60-13 is now not available at TireRack, Vulcan Tires and Discounted Wheel Warehouse. Anyone have a lead on another vender?

On another note, anyone have fitting issues with the Sumi 195/60-13 on a 5" wheel?

Thanks. I tried. Brenda I think it was, mentioned she gets a few calls a day regarding now discontinued sizes. She understands there are thousands of vintage car owners out there who now left standing in the cold. There are no plans to produce a tire in that size. Now Coker Tire supplies some really vintage rubber. I wonder if we're going to see 'modern' 13" tires being sold by them soon.

1000's of 185/60 in stock...

...at Les Schwab Tires.
They're round.
They're black.
They're hold air.
They protect your rims from rolling on tarmac.
'bout $45 each.
Various generic brands.
Whatever comes on the boat from Korea.
Federal SS635 is one.

In spite of teeth gnashing,
the sky is not falling.

I wrote Coker tire about a year ago

At that time they weren't planning on offering anything in this size. The response I received wasn't that they wouldn't consider it, but it was more like they were unaware of the need to produce such a tire.

I would say there would have to be a huge demand shown by not only X owners, but 2002 owners, and other cars that use this size for it to be economically feasible for them to make a run.

I agree although I tink...

1000s is an exaggeration...

There is an eBay seller with auctions for those Federals $230 shipped to your door so how can you beat that?!?

...at Les Schwab Tires.
They're round.
They're black.
They're hold air.
They protect your rims from rolling on tarmac.
'bout $45 each.
Various generic brands.
Whatever comes on the boat from Korea.
Federal SS635 is one.

In spite of teeth gnashing,
the sky is not falling.

Undoubtedly a figure of speech...

...1000s of 'em.
But the point is rumors of demise
are greatly exaggerated.
Aka Chicken Little syndrome.
Like the boy who cried "wolf".
Been watching consternation for years.
Ain't all that dire.

update

Online Tires, out of stock and informed me again of the out of production issue. Someone suggested Les Schwab Tires. They seemed to have pissed off quite a few people according to consumer watchdog services, and interestingly, their website site has no contact phone number. Not the most seamless and easy entity to deal with. The guy with Federal Tires on Ebay? Well, he only has a partial set and is checking when he can get the others. Right now, he's the only one in the running. I think the lack of availability of good, affordable tires in that size is more severe than some of us are willing to admit. If it's this much of a pain in the ass now, imagine a couple of years from now.

Tried 175/65x13 ? These are a viable alternative and I got a few web hits. In fact I had this size Pirelli P8 on my X back in the late 80's

The nexens are a fine option. At some point, the tires will go up in price, and continue to be available. The cheaper option will be the taller 13" options that were available on the Hondas.

and the latest update

Thank you LarryC for the new contact. No stock on the Maxxis, Sumo and the Nankang (who?). But they do have the Nexen. While I have no experience with that brand, I can take comfort in the fact that at least they passed some DOT test to sell them here. Looks like I may become a guinea pig. If I decide to go with these, I'll provide some input in the next few weeks, that is, if I'm still alive. :thumbsup:

VeeRubber

Somebody know VeeRubber ? any advices

screenshot046j.png

Chinese brands?

I have a sneaking suspicion that all these weirdly-named tire brands that have been popping up lately are Chinese, which, if there is a parallel with the musical instrument world, are flooding the market and are made in large anonymous factories, stamped with dozens and dozens of brand names, at the request of whomever is distributing them. Their quality is anybody's guess. Are y'all sure you want to trust your lives to these?

Chinese products are EVERYWHERE. Even my latest Pirellis (P4 Tourings, for my Lancia Beta) were made in China. I have to say they are the worst-looking and worst-handling Pirellis I have ever had on any car, and that's a fair number of Pirellis over the last 25 years.

alot of the odd-ball named tires are made in Korea. Actually, most of them come out of the same factory...

and are copies of other tread patterns.

Ed posted above he is running Nexen...

and I'm using Nexen CP641s on the Corsa until the summer.Then I break out the good stuff ;)

Like Ed said Nexen is a very good option and if you are Ok with Sumis then no worries.Nexens have been around for a very long time known for economy but a good value with quality.Their performance number tires like N3000 or N5000 get great reviews.

This seller just posted today with Nexens FS...decent FB but not so decent shipping costs :blackeye:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nexe...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This is what the sidewall looks like...

DSC00213.jpg

Looks like I may become a guinea pig. If I decide to go with these, I'll provide some input in the next few weeks, that is, if I'm still alive. :thumbsup:

Danger Yves!

I've heard very bad things about the VeeRubber. I think Todd R posted he had a horrible experience with them as well!

VeeRubber is a Thailand company got their claim to fame in dirt bike, skooter tires etc. and just started to branch out into the auto & truck world.

Even the bike guys complain about the hard rubber.Quality of material used in rubber very poor in Thailand.
Go with the Nexens if you can find :)

Somebody know VeeRubber ? any advices

I have 195/60's on the blue car in my pics...

they are on 5" wheels...

For everyday driving they feel fine for me.:thumbsup:

Back