Most expensive X ?

rturchan

Baja Bob
Who is willing to share their X19 expense report?
I just added it up and wow! I know better, you should always buy the nicest car you can. I costs twice as much to do the work than to buy it done. I have proven it while restoreing many cars (1969 BB vette convertible to NCRS Top Flight, 1970 911S, '77 Bronco, and several others) Always spend a lot but I figured this time I'd be ok. My Fiat was really nice when I bought it, but I ended up fine tuning it at a total cost of about three times what I paid for it.
Bob T.

mine cost approx

original cost $3000
turbo motor $2500
parts and tools guessing around $2000
paint and filler products $300

still needs putting together, painting, tyres... ect.

I'd rather not go looking for all the receipts and find out how much everything really did cost.

Well... Don't count this, but...

I bought mine for $4000 in 1984 with an insurance policy for repairs that had 18 months left on it. During that time I had the trans rebuilt and a timing belt and manifold gaskets replaced. Put some tires on it and drove it for 100,000 miles.

After a hiatus of 7 years when the water pump failed and I couldn't figure out how to get it out... as I did not know about the access panel... I pulled it outta the garage and with a clear head changed out the pump, added a battery and took it for a spin... I haven't stopped grinning since.

I went thru the interior and did the body work (minimal) and had it painted... and have only placed about 28,000 miles on it since, for a total of 168,000 on the same engine. I also rebuilt the trans and installed a few sets of tires, modified the electrics and swapped carbs... trading and developing friendships for labor and parts.

To date, I've owned the car 27 years and have spent $3500 over what I have paid for it.

Now... since buying my SBC '69 Vette... where everything has been modified or rebuilt, less the trans... I spent the same amount of money in 3 months! I installed an aftermarket A/C, high end leather seat covers, and loop carpeting, along with a stereo and various other sundry parts. Again, I provided most of the labor.

My X is insured for 2X what I paid for it and have in it and I think I could get half that if I sold it... The Vette is insured for 3X what I have into it and I could probably get 2X what I paid for it and have in it.

I couldn't retire on any of these "winnings", and it wasn't my intention, especially with the Vette... but I appeciate that I can enjoy these cars and drive them and still get appreciative looks.

Doesn't happen often I know... and I know they are not to the level of Bob Brown's or yours or Peters... but I kinda feel lightning struck twice for me... and the Vette has trophied twice on three rather BIG outtings.

I'm sure you've done better than "average" also... and I know yur having fun!

I have over 20,000 invested in Three Fiats that currently are in some state of Disrepair or restoration. None are Currently in Operational condition...:blackeye:

Too much money,,,

My car cost 1,200 originally but have since 'invested' another 10 grand or so for the motor swap, paint job, various odds and ends and I continue to invest even more money into the car albeit at a slower rate than I used to.

My trans was over $5k

My trans has a 4.54:1 final drive and Duo-Block LSD, both from Colotti and all kinds of new parts. Then there is the Sparko Milano Seats! $$$ !!!! At this point, I don't want to think about it. Just got done buying Redline MTL and Redline engine oil. That alone was over $150 (for oil?!?) So my answer is, "More money than I will ever confess to my wife!" LOL

SANY0047.jpg

SANY0048.jpg

Last edited:
Huh? Are you INSANE?

Who is willing to share their X19 expense report?

Huh? Are you INSANE? Some of the lurkers here are spouses!
:shock:

Seriously, kidding aside, it's easy to put a few grand into any 25-year-old car just to get it running well and reliably. So if the car only costs a few grand... Well, we've already doubled the initial outlay and performance upgrades, rust repair and detail work haven't begun. The X is still a bargain, especially if you count the hours spent on it as entertainment. But it's easy to why homo economicus would let an X rust away rather than spending money on keeping it on the road.

I've actually lost count -

way beyond $17 grand.
I paid $7000 for it in 2001. The guy wanted $10K but settled on my offer. I knew the
car was good but didn't know how good. I was really lucky to get this car because it had
all the options available for that year (leather, AC, factory door striping and stereo) and the
only FUBAR that was done to it was related to a single hose (underneath) to the AC. The only
"dent" in it was on the rear trunk lid caused by the PO's golf clubs sticking up when
he closed the lid. Otherwise, the car was perfect except it badly needed the usual
maintenance. 27,250 original miles when I bought it. I've put about 2500 miles on it since.
Just under 30K miles today.

I'd say about 90 percent of this car has been rebuilt in some way.
Last year's FFO event I spent about $3K on the engine and AC refurb.
Prior years, $1800 on wheels and tires,
$1450 for all new suspension (AIP springs, KYB shocks, SS lines, Plaia plates and pivots, tower
mounts, slotted rotors, yellow pads, etc.etc...)
Over $1,500 for LED's
$1000+ for the stereo
$525 for the new Allison's Automotive ignition
$300 for the newly installed coolant booster pump
$250 for the steering wheel arrangement
$200 for aluminum front grill (very special deal from TonyK!)
$200 for custom euro driving lights.
$180 for 'show-chroming" 16 Bertone lug nuts and targa receivers
$120 for Euro front directionals

Never mind the auto dimming compass mirror, power door locks, motorized antenna,
insertable headlight and pod control mods, dash mods, (oil pressure and digi-volt meter),
new floor mats, dash mat, arm rest, blah-blah! :bla:

Free labor. (well, my wife say's I'll pay...)
And I still have yet to get the car professionally re-touched.

EASILY I have over $20K if you add up my spare parts list.
Makes me feel better about the $12K I spent on the trailer that holds it. :dead: Ha!

that totally sucks!

I have over 20,000 invested in Three Fiats that currently are in some state of Disrepair or restoration. None are Currently in Operational condition...:blackeye:

Bought car for $1,200 3 years ago I'm at about $8,000 and counting. Most of the labor by me. I'm still not done :dead:

Well, you really can't compare what you spend on a racecar and what you spend restoring a street car. That said, I had kept a pretty good accounting of what I had spent (required for tax purposes) to build my DSP car. I had documented more than $30,000 in building and developing it. It may also have commanded the highest sale price for a used X1/9.

ShowField3.jpg

My GT-Lite racecar has also been expensive.

14.5:1 engine w/ dual DCOEs
15:1 back-up engine
Bacci-Romano close-ratio, dog-ring transaxle
Fuel cell
Holley fuel pump
Lots of fiberglass
Aluminum radiator & oil cooler
Lots of Aeroquip hoses
Autometer tach and other guages
Racing radio
Momo steering wheel w/ quick-disconnect hub
Koni Competition strut inserts in G-Force coilovers w/ Eibach springs
T3 camber plates & strut tower bars, front & rear
13x7 Compomotive Racing Wheels (3 sets)
20x9.5-13 Goodyear Slicks
20x9.5-13 Goodyear Rains
Whoa Wilwood brakes, front & rear
Porterfield Kevlar brake pads
Super Blue brake fluid
ERC Racing Fuel
Redline Racing Oil and Lightweight Shockproof Gear Lube

Regards,

WELL... Reading through all these posts...

... nothing done here in he X1/9 world compares financially with any other automotive hobbiest that I know of.

Even Bob Brown and Steve Hoelscher (who have probably spent the most here) drive BARGAINS compared to most any other SHOW CAR or RACE CAR (respectively) that I have ever seen or heard of.

I'll leave you with just one TYPICAL illustration... My brother has been building a 1938 LaSalle Street Rod for over 15 years now and it is now ready for upholstery * about $15,000. He has over $25,000 in the engine and trans alone... and about $75,000 to date in the entire car. Probably close to $100,000 if and when he ever finishes it. When done, he'll be lucky to sell it for $45,000.

He says it doesn't matter, as it is what keeps him sane and happy.

Hmmmmm... I stopped and figured out that over the past 15 years (of the 25 I have been seeing a therapist...) I've spent over $47,000 in insurance claims and co-payments. And look how sane and happy I am...

HAHAHAHA!

86:

Paid to buy: $25.00
owned since June 2009
Since have put about $900.00? into it. I need to go back over midwest-bayless receipts. I am sure its more as those receipts add up FAST!
However when all is said and done I expect to have another $500.00 to "complete" it.

75:
Paid to buy: $500.00
owned since March 2010
Have put about $350.00 into it thus far but it is FAR from being done. I expect at least another $3.5k before its ready for primetime.

I have no idea

I bought for $450.00 many years ago, since then I prefer to erase this little detail from my mind.
This little car is a very addictive passion!

Paid $800 3 months ago.
Oil/filter/$20
air filter/$15
POR15 for tank/$50
Tires $300
many many hours labor (I'm slow and cheap)

Daily driver.
needs struts and some minor rust repair but, so far the $$ to smiles are a bargain.

Let's See....

1987 Bertone X-1/9:

I paid $1,800 for it 15 years ago.

Engine Parts:
Carb: $150 (not original motor)
Electric fuel pump: $40

Hydraulic Parts:
Brake Cylinder: $45
Clutch Cylinder: $35
Hoses: $20

Reciently:
Gas Tank: $200
Radiator: $300

Add a few other minor things I can't remember and it comes to about $3,000.

Other than gas, oil, filters, brake pads, that's about it!

15 years $3K and about 50,000 miles later, I am one happy camper.

I cannot imagine a bigger bang for the buck!

Back