Most likely origins of oil leaks?

Gary McCormick

True Classic
I have been trying to find the source of a very minor, but nagging oil leak for a while and have had no success. It seems to be somewhere above the oil pan gasket but below the valve cover gasket, and does not appear to be at the dipstick. The oil seems to migrate to the oil pan

Any recommendations for a step by step process to find the source? likely sources based on experience?

Gary McCormick

Hi Gary

Check the oil pressure switch. It is on the back of the block, to the left of the breather hose as you stand at the back of the car. The plastic insulator for the sender has been known to crack with age and start to leak.

It is labeled "6" in this pic in the shop manual:
http://www.socalx.com/xhelp/X1-9_103-01_10-115.pdf

Good luck!!

clean the engine down with degreaser or just to get all the oil off. once let to dry off put talcum powder around the leaking area. then start the car let it sit wile running and you will find the trail to your leak.
hope this helps.

I once used flour,

to do the same thing, cheaper, and lots available. My leak was of a different car (Toyota) but it sure tracked it down.

With interest I read this post.
Me too have a not located small leak somewhere.
I checked around the switch with my finger, and bingo, fresh oil.
Do you have more info on the insulator ring, Jim?
Can I just take out the switch and replace the ring? (size, thickness?)
Thanks, great tip.
Paul.

Hi Paul

I believe the whole switch needs to be changed out. You might want to see if it is just loose first? maybe? Couldn't hurt to check.

i had the same leak on my 74 before i pulled the motor. once up on a lift, you could see the oil pouring out of the switch. a new switch resolved my problem

Gaske missing.

Is the gasket under the Dizzy there? It is a flat ring hard paper gasket. That will cause an oil leak/weep.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

leak

Check the oil pressure switch. It is on the back of the block, to the left of the breather hose as you stand at the back of the car. The plastic insulator for the sender has been known to crack with age and start to leak.

It is labeled "6" in this pic in the shop manual:
http://www.socalx.com/xhelp/X1-9_103-01_10-115.pdf

Good luck!!

The oil sender in SOHC applications is a known leak. The exact same switch, same part number, in DOHC applications almost never leaks.
I still don't know why.

thanks for all the advice - mission accomplished

Oil leak located and stopped. Now on to the myriad of other X projects that I have on the drawing board
Gary McCormick
Carlisle, PA
79 X

Back