Motor ID Question

Joe F

Hi Miles, Lo Maintenance
I have always wondered if the PO installed a 1.3 or 1.5 motor in my '87 Bertone. If I am not mistaken, the "128 A.1" numbers on the crankcase confirms it as a 1.3. Correct? Does this come to play when ordering a head gasket?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for commenting.

I thought all of the Bertone badged cars had blocks that had LANCIA cast where yours shows FIAT. I'm betting that's not the original block, not sure about 1.3 versus 1.5 liters.

Definitly Not Original

Back in 1992, the PO told me up front that he blew out the original motor and replaced it with one from an older car. He thought it was from a '79, but he did not specify if it was a 128 or X-1/9. An old Fiat mechanic I once new told me it was a '78 motor, but I always thought it was a 1.5L.

On my '86, the "official" engine designation (as opposed to a serial number, don't know if X1/9 blocks were serial numbered) is stamped on the trans end of the block, to the left of the water jacket end plate as viewed from the trans end, just below the joint between the head and block deck.

Not sure how well photobucket will let you zoom in on the pic, but I can definitely see it on my original pic.
7637b650-6472-428f-ad26-aad3e31119d6_zpscbd15015.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wrong corner...

On my '86, the "official" engine designation (as opposed to a serial number, don't know if X1/9 blocks were serial numbered) is stamped on the trans end of the block, to the left of the water jacket end plate as viewed from the trans end, just below the joint between the head and block deck.
Not sure how well photobucket will let you zoom in on the pic, but I can definitely see it on my original pic.

FYI - You won't find the stamping on the block where you've indicated, because it's on the upper right rear corner of the block (not the left), to the right of the water jacket cover plate & above the trans/block mounting-bolt hole. It's just out of view in the top/center of your photo.

BTW - the stamping shows both the engine type (first line) and the engine serial number (second line, below the engine type). Doesn't anyone ever read their Owners Manual??? :confuse2:

engcht.gif

Yeah...

My 86 Bertone has M202.15 stamped in that same spot on the side of the block. But absolutely nothing in the spot that Dan indicates on the trans side. Weird.

Look on the upper right corner of the block, above the short L-shaped hose that connects the thermostat housing to the water pump inlet tube/pipe. :hmm:

Back in 1992, the PO told me up front that he blew out the original motor and replaced it with one from an older car. He thought it was from a '79, but he did not specify if it was a 128 or X-1/9. An old Fiat mechanic I once new told me it was a '78 motor, but I always thought it was a 1.5L.

If it's from a USA '79, it would be an X1/9 or Strada 1500 engine (1978 was the last year for 1300-powered X's). It couldn't be a 128 1500 engine, since 1978 was the last year the 128's were sold & the 128's never got the 1500 engine (only 1100/1300). If it's from a '78 it would be a 1300 from either an X1/9 or a 128. :2c: :)

And I will go on record as saying my block, which I'm positive is original to my 86, has no markings anywhere on that side of the engine, on left or right sides.

I notice the part of the manual that Jeff has posted above indicates up to model year 1980. Wonder if blocks from later years have ID numbers somewhere else?

Back