MTL v. MT90

jasco

True Classic
I changed my transmission oil using MTL about 3 weeks ago. The Greaseslapper sat undriven for a week and now there is a mystery oil spot near the left rear tire. I read in another thread that due to the thinness of MTL, some people experience leaks. The trans plugs appear dry (ish). There isn't much difference in color between the engine oil and the trans oil, so exactly what is leaking isn't obvious. The time lapse between the change and the leak seem important, although I drove the heck out of it for the first 2 weeks before the weather got crappy with no unusual spots noticed. Any thoughts?

cold vs warm

I just put on the first 1000 miles on my rebuilt transmission with redline MT-90 in it. I was told that it should be checked every two weeks for leakage. So far, I only noticed a drop or two on the transmission.
Yesterday the back wheel was finally pulled (lazy bum that I am) and the transmission checked, and less that an ounce was missing (most of that me spilling). I think that there is more leakage when the car is not use and cold than when it’s used and everything is warm (expanded and tight). MTL is thinner then the MT-90 so the effect would be greater. Many members are using a 75/25 mix of MT-90/MTL with good results (location, climate, driven). This all being said, get under the car and check. Let us know….
Vincent Macaluso D.B.A. enzo mac

Have a look at the gasket areas it would take some time initially to leach through them
I have MT90 in mine and it leaks from the gaskets.
Had MTL originally and found the gear box shifted worse due to the lack of fluid. :eek: Most of it ended up on the garage floor.

Dead seals in the transaxle...which need to replaced or the real reason for the leaks.

Have a look at the gasket areas it would take some time initially to leach through them
I have MT90 in mine and it leaks from the gaskets.
Had MTL originally and found the gear box shifted worse due to the lack of fluid. :eek: Most of it ended up on the garage floor.

Good idea to check the brake lines. I hadn't even thought of that.
*Haywood j- I thought my trans shifted worse after the changeover also, but attributed it to my imagination since I was paying more attention to it . Before the change, I occasionally had trouble getting it into reverse...especially on an incline. Now I have trouble almost every time. hmmmm.:confuse2:I'm gonna go jack it up an have a look this morning. I thought this MTL was the fluid to end all fluids. Maybe I should have never changed it...What did Dad say? I always want to improve something until it won't work. :wall:Thanks everyone for your input.

Finding reverse...

Try shifting into 4th first then over into reverse should help you with that problem. :italia:

Lay some cardboard underneath so you can isolate what fluid you are leaking and get a better pinpoint.

Before the change, I occasionally had trouble getting it into reverse...especially on an incline. Now I have trouble almost every time. hmmmm.:confuse2:

Dead seals in the transaxle...which need to replaced or the real reason for the leaks.

yup your right :)

My gearbox has new seals I watched Canadan install them, the gaskets are a different story.

The problem with MTL or MT-90 is most folks are looking for the fix it in a bottle and sure the gearbox will shift better if its not already toast but... if the gear box has never had synthetic in it, its probably gonna leak. So now you gotta tear the gearbox down to fix the leaks and well now its apart might as well rebuild and well.....

I just top mine up once a year, its easier.

Wow, Ditto. My leak is easy to trace. Comes out the shift input by the lollipop.

I ordered a new seal, and hopefully that stops it.

Ed

More importantly... how does it taste?

On a serious note...

MTL and MT90 are the best lubes for this transaxle... it is NOT a STOPLEAK.

But for me... living the CHARMED LIFE and all... the first time I installed MTL it apparently STOPPED the leaks I already had!

HA!

The differences between MT90 and MTL is about 10 points in viscosity weight... and I doubt they taste any different! I also don't believe the difference in viscosity will help or hinder leakage that much either. Best way to repair leaks is with new seals and gaskets... using PERMATEX Black or Gray sealant on the gaskets. Works for me... and I thought this up all by myself without Steve Hoelscher's help (?)

BUT most importantly, the only fluids I know of NEAR the rear tires is Brake Fluid... and ya really need to pull the tire and see what's going on there.

Last edited:
I used MTL in my miata one time... during the 2 months it was in my transmission I noticed the car was easier to shift when cold, but when warm it definitely seemed to crunch a little when it was shifted. Worst of all, my car 'lost' the 5th/Rev shift rod when it was being backed into a parking spot.:eek: The shift rod slipped all the way back past the little spring loaded detent ball stopper mechanism... and the shifter couldn't nab it back. The car was stuck in reverse.

Got it popped back in gear with a long screwdriver wiggled around thru the reverse light switch on the side of the transmission case! After it was back in position I changed the lube back to stock and just dealt with stiff shifting in cold weather. It's never gotten stuck in reverse again.

The stuck in reverse deal is common with early miatas, so that alone doesn't make me give MTL a thumbs down... it was the too thin feeling when the transmission was warm that bothered me. I'd be willing to try a mix for sure, trying to find the Goldilocks 'just right' formula.

I took a look under there, and the drippage is coming from the transmission case. The fluid was dry, light-bodied and un-oaked with crisp acidity and a subdued flavor.There were some overtones of apple and pear. :italia:
I drove it around for an hour or so and did the cardboard test. No new puddle was noted. It probably needs new seals/gaskets. It is 27 years old, after all!
I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to stick a screwdriver in the reverse-light sender hole and stir around until the thing goes into gear(!). I'll just have to top off once in a while.

Back