My 1968 850 Spider Update

850spidermel

Low Mileage
Hi everyone,

I never ended up sharing my progress with you all, but I'm excited to share that the project is going well. Good news is that it runs. Some times it has a hard time firing up after running a while and one of my spark plugs is getting a little toasted. Nonetheless I can tell how fun it's going to be once dialed in. My compression numbers are currently as follows:

Cyl 1 - 135
Cyl 2 - 140
Cyl 3 - 160
Cyl 4 - 150

The car is stored in an industrial park in South San Francisco and I take it out for a local spin here and there. I'm yet to take it beyond this small area as a few things need some attention. The project went on a little break after we had our first child back in July, I'll be resuming the project early next year.

I have a long list of things I need. Most of which can be found on Midwest Bayless. Also I'm really close to abandoning my plans to go with CD31s. I was never able to complete my set and I'm left with 3 of them collecting dust. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a single wheel out there, maybe not. So be on the look out because it's likely I'm going to list them to fund misc parts.

I'm still deciding what bumpers to go with or leave it naked. As of now I think bumpers are the way to go if I'm not cutting costs. It would be awesome to have the clean blades from the early series one cars. I'm yet to see a clean one for sale though. Regardless I need to pick a solution where my front turn signals will rest.

Side note, does anyone have the maximum suggested wheel offset and size combination without any major modifications? A lot of nice vintage replicas out there that I think are pushing 10mm...

Take care,
- Mel

Attachments

• IMG-4972.jpg
    IMG-4972.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-4967.jpg
    IMG-4967.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG-4960.jpg
    IMG-4960.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I never ended up sharing my progress with you all, but I'm excited to share that the project is going well. Good news is that it runs. Some times it has a hard time firing up after running a while and one of my spark plugs is getting a little toasted. Nonetheless I can tell how fun it's going to be once dialed in. My compression numbers are currently as follows:

Cyl 1 - 135
Cyl 2 - 140
Cyl 3 - 160
Cyl 4 - 150

The car is stored in an industrial park in South San Francisco and I take it out for a local spin here and there. I'm yet to take it beyond this small area as a few things need some attention. The project went on a little break after we had our first child back in July, I'll be resuming the project early next year.

I have a long list of things I need. Most of which can be found on Midwest Bayless. Also I'm really close to abandoning my plans to go with CD50s. I was never able to complete my set and I'm left with 3 of them collecting dust. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a single wheel out there, maybe not. So be on the look out because it's likely I'm going to list them to fund misc parts.

I'm still deciding what bumpers to go with or leave it naked. As of now I think bumpers are the way to go if I'm not cutting costs. It would be awesome to have the clean blades from the early series one cars. I'm yet to see a clean one for sale though. Regardless I need to pick a solution where my front turn signals will rest.

Side note, does anyone have the maximum suggested wheel offset and size combination without any major modifications? A lot of nice vintage replicas out there that I think are pushing 10mm...

Take care,
- Mel
Is your third photo in front of Merck's relatively new lab building?

Hi everyone,

Cyl 1 - 135
Cyl 2 - 140
Cyl 3 - 160
Cyl 4 - 150

I have a long list of things I need. Most of which can be found on Midwest Bayless. Also I'm really close to abandoning my plans to go with CD31s. I was never able to complete my set and I'm left with 3 of them collecting dust. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a single wheel out there, maybe not. So be on the look out because it's likely I'm going to list them to fund misc parts.

Take care,
- Mel

Beautiful! And yeah, lose the black wheels for some CD31s. I'm willing to sell a set if you're interested. I may be convinced to sell a single wheel, but it'll take some convincing...

And I'm in Santa Clara, so you save on shipping...

Last edited:
Simply remove the overrider blocks from the bumpers (front & rear) & remount the bumpers on the car, like this:

jeffs69sams67a.jpg jeffs69sams67b.JPG

Simply remove the overrider blocks from the bumpers (front & rear) & remount the bumpers on the car, like this:

View attachment 53868 View attachment 53870
Thanks for pointing that out, Jeff. Believe it or not this is the first and only 850 Spider I’ve ever seen in person/gotten to know. I didn’t know the bumpers can look very simple too by just removing the blocks. Every bit of information regarding them is news to me.

And to everyone, thanks for the wheel concern. They’re hideous! Though I’m not going to invest any time in restoring these crusty things when I feel like I’m so close to pulling the trigger on something more permanent and better quality.

I’ll likely follow up with anyone with wheels leads. My only thing is my set of three are original and unrestored, but I’m decent shape. So buying anything close to NOS or refurbished would probably look funny. Like having a kind of worn shoe and one fresh out the box.

Back