My 1974 Fiat 128 Berlina

Really impressive work

You are really putting in the time and effort. I wish I had the determination and skills to take on that kind of project. Keep the pictures and updates coming. :)

Thnak you for the comments... there are still a few things left to do...also a warm 1290cc is almost ready for the car, there will be pictres of that as well.
Stay tuned... :pimp:

You are really putting in the time and effort. I wish I had the determination and skills to take on that kind of project. Keep the pictures and updates coming. :)

Jim, I barely knew anything before starting this project, but if there's a will there's a way !! =) Time and money are always a constraint !!

index.php

She is now ready for the MOT inspection so I can get the plates... hopefully it will be a "pass", slightly worried about the seats since they aren't original..

From what I can tell...with your attention to detail...the car should pass the MOT with flying colors :)

As an aside, what brand are the seats and where did you purchase them ...they're great looking.

Keep up the great work! Many of us are following your tread :)

Cheers,
Gianni

Geee thanks mate!

I hope so as well, they dont like aftermarket seats here in Norway unfortunately, so they could fail me, which also depends on the bloke who's at work that day...

I got these seats from BB Classics in UK, they deducted English VAT so the total with shipping came to 234,- and some Pounds... Quote cheap if you ask me.. They also have different seats which are a bit wider, if you are over 80 kilograms, they might feel uncomfortable.

I will post more pics and updates on Monday night after the MOT...

Really looking great. Nice job.

I find it interesting that they changed the taillights (and as a result the rear steel panel) for this model. Are those lights expensive in Europe? I have wanted the outer ones, amber/red for my 850 Sport Coupe, which was standard in Europe, but the cost and availability of them here has been a bit exhorbitant.

I hope your inspection goes well. Lovely car, very nicely done.

regarding the comment on it being lowered....it was mentioned to me that the drive axle angle (I suppose, that would be resting angle, or typical angle under a load) of a lowered 128 and the resulting loading (ie, different from design) of the tripode joint could be a factor related to what may be the premature failure of the drive side tripode on my 128 wagon. I'm a newbie in the 128 world, though, so I dunno....

tripode fail

Hey Chris, Did your tripode joint failure release a plague of needle bearings into the gearbox? And what did it sound like on its way to fail?
I ask for my sedan is making a pretty gnarly rhythmic growling on the passenger side and is also lowered. I reckon it could be either the wheel bearing, CV joint or tripode.

hi...this may warrant a different thread, but I'll reply briefly to say I noticed (I'm new to 128s, so maybe I missed something obvious) no warnings of failure. I've had other cars ahead in the workshop queue so I haven't dug into it yet.

I dunno...

regarding the comment on it being lowered....it was mentioned to me that the drive axle angle (I suppose, that would be resting angle, or typical angle under a load) of a lowered 128 and the resulting loading (ie, different from design) of the tripode joint could be a factor related to what may be the premature failure of the drive side tripode on my 128 wagon. I'm a newbie in the 128 world, though, so I dunno....

Almost 16 years & hundreds of thousands of miles of driving my lowered 128 Wagon has given me ZERO tripod failures from this angle/loading issue that you mentioned. I can't be THAT lucky!:2c: :)

Re: Wheel bearing

I ask for my sedan is making a pretty gnarly rhythmic growling on the passenger side and is also lowered. I reckon it could be either the wheel bearing, CV joint or tripode.

My money says that growling noise is a wheel bearing on its way out, a very common issue with 128's. A failing CVJ would give a "clack-clack-clack" noise on full-lock turns, as well as a noticeable steering shake (wheel wobble) at speed similar to a failed inner steering rack bushing.

To check for a worn wheel bearing, jack the car up, then grab the wheel at the 12:00 & 6:00 positions & try to rock the wheel. If there's noticeable play, you've found the issue. Doing the same thing but from the 9:00 & 3:00 positions will tell you it's either a worn wheel bearing or a worn inner rack bushing (or tierod). To narrow your focus, do Step 1 again, or grab the upper/rear arm of the spindle upright (where the tierod attaches) & push/pull it in/out. If there's play there, it's the rack bushing or tierod. (I say all this because sometimes it can be a worn wheel bearing AND a worn rack bushing/tierod). :wall:

In my experience, a failed inner tripod is actually fairly quiet. Usually if it fails, it's due to one (or more) of the bearing retainer circlips coming (or being forced) loose, letting the needles spill out of their cage during axle rotation. Then they'll just roll into the boot or into the gearbox, often just lying on the bottom of the case, but sometimes they'll get sucked up between two gears & get mashed-up.

Other possible cause

On my 128 the growling noise was internal to the transmission. One of the bearings had some play which caused a wheel bearing like growl.

I really thought it was a wheel bearing, but the noise persisted after replacement of both front bearings. Only upon cracking the transmission open was the actual cause found.

Wheel bearing noise will change pitch depending on if it's loaded or unloaded, so drive along and swerve left / right in long arcs... if the noise lessens in one direction then the bearing to the inside wheel (the unloaded bearing) will be the issue. Trans bearings noises will be more constant, diff bearing noises will change pitch with throttle on/off. Gnarly rumble sounds like a wheel bearing...

Also had 100's of thousands of KM's in a lowered 128, never a tripode issue.

kmead, he changed the rear panel for the 128 rally version rear panel,which uses different tail lights like the 850 coupe. Unlike the 'rallye' version of the 128 sold in the USA, the 'rally' version for the rest of the world had this...

SteveC

Just to follow up

Mine made a different noise in right verses left hand turns, but was internal to the transmission not a differential bearing.

Hey Chris, Did your tripode joint failure release a plague of needle bearings into the gearbox? And what did it sound like on its way to fail?

I do not know yet as it is not at the top of my workshop queue.

If the tripode falls apart you will probably loose drive to the axle and you will have a 128 that goes nowhere (unless pushed!).

Back