My 1974 X19

I'm the last guy on the planet that is going to try to "force" you to do something you don't want to do with your own property.

It's just that there are so few original '74 cars around that it would be a "shame" to have yet another one be irreversibly changed. Just my opinion, and probably a minorty one at that!:)

And I think you hit the nail on the head as to why the state of "X-dom" is in such deplorable condition...for most of its run in the USA, the X was a cheap thrill ride for younger folks who would rather buy beer and hang out at nightclubs with their limited money than buy genuine spare parts and do well-executed maintenance. I might be talking out of school here, but I see posts on this forum from longtime X owners who still take this band-aid approach to their cars.

Last edited:
It's your car Michael

do as you wish. And you are correct. You could spend $5K-$10K on your 74 making it perfect again and you would never see that money again. It's the same type of "investment" as the diamond on an engagement ring. ;)

As Bob said, it's more of a passion. So if your passion happens to be modding the sh1t out of your own car. I say do it.

And be sure to post pics.

I mostly agree with Dan here

... and I agree with all the people who are telling me that "they're my cars, I can do whatever I please with them". I can have it both ways because what pleases me is the personality of these cars, so I'm not doing much to change it.

There's "original" in the concours sense of the word, and that's never going to happen... too many original pieces are no longer available NOS, and too worn out to renew from used. Not to say that it wouldn't be fun to recreate a '74 time capsule, just unlikely to happen.

I'll cheerfully desmog and replace the stock air filter housing, just because it makes the engine so much easier to work on. But I can't bring myself to throw out the removed bits, so I *could* put it all back together... and I cannot bring myself to cut a distributor access hole in the spare tire well... I've actually stood there holding the sawzall and then backed down... Nahhh, I've still got the weird double-bend wrench I bought from Bayless in 1978 for the dizzy.

Does a 1500/5-speed conversion change the personality of the car? As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on that one, but it's reversible and in any case I didn't have a good 1300 to replace the trashed 1300 in white car. It's still carbed, with a manual choke.

I am looking at some photos of the 1974s and it looks like on the front nose they had a recess for a fiat badge. My car does not have a recess for the round Fiat Badge, was there a year that did not have the round badge recess?

If it were filled in as Rey says, a telltale might be to look on the backside from inside the frunk and see if there is a depression on the backside, or at least badge mounting holes maybe with a little bondo oozing thru?

Michael
The nose spoiler on your 1974 is correct, a molded in metal lip that was generally painted body color.

The badge should be a round recessed Fiat wreath. I am personally unsure if later cars had a badge like yours, but the 1974 did not - so it could be a replacement hood or a modified hood.

I think the mirror in 1974 was a silvery version of a cromodora astro, which looks similar to what you have in that it's a flag mirror. Same mirror, btw, was stock on the 308 GT4, so it was what Bertone probably spec'd!

My girlfriend just bought a nearly original 1974 X1/9. The car appears unmolested, and represents what a 1974 Fiat was all about. Incorrect color of the seat covers and carpet, plus some funky graphics, may be all the non OE parts on this car. Even the wheels are period correct, and I think even factory optional!

I personally think that certain cars should be retained is near original condition, if not totaly original. There weren't many to begin with, and how many have survived that aren't race cars, rust buckets, or sporting buick motors? Preservation is my choice, and I personally feel a bit of a responsibility to keep the car proper.

That's a tough ideology to defend, however. Are wider tires proper? How about electronic ignition? Where do I draw the line? Is it ok to remove the oe distributor if I keep it in a box? Is that different from putting on a snorkle and keeping the stock engine lid? Is adding a modern stereo that's hidden less intrusive but still ok? Definitions are slippery, and choices are personal.

It is your car, so you can do what you want. Obviously no one can stop you, and the "scorn" of the self righteous is just people with too much time on their hands, IF that scorn even exists. Fiat people are pretty easy going, and I doubt you would get a hard time.

From a financial point of view, the cars just aren't worth tons of money. A five thousand dollar paint job will not pay for itself on the current market - especially now, when the exotic car market is crashing. Even painting a Dino isn't worth it until the economy changes. 1974s may become the first Fiat to be worth something reasonable, however - they are Bertones, they are pure, they are clean lined, they are often smog-rule exempt... but even worth something may be 10,000$ someday, and that could be a stretch.

With that in mind, however, I would personally plead with you to keep your 1974 as original as possible.

There are precious few left.

Jonathan
the FiatRN
Denver, CO

43zsx001j

Z_sX_001.jpg

OK so..... I really want to build a wild street car, but this 74 is very clean, and other then the little idle issue runs like a top, everything works, all the lights, heater, it is just a nice little car. But I am kind of torn about cutting it up and doing a motor swap into it. So.... I am open to offers if anyone is interested in "saving" it, it has a clean title, and is registered through 2010, if not I will more then likely start taking it apart and making my mods.

Back