My car will not Idle

DTohill

80 X1/9 Carb
I just installed a new single DCNF MAnifold and carb on my X. once everything was together I set the carb to factory setting and tryed to start it. let it crank a few time to fill up the bowl and it fired up. As soon as I let the key go it died. I did some adjusting thinking it wasnt getting enough fuel. but nothing same thing happened. Any Idea???

I do have a Delta A-16 cam and and a header. NO head or valve work.

thank in advance

Likely a vacuum leak

It is a scientifically proven fact that 98.2796 percent of all problems with new carb installations are caused by a vacuum leak. If the car will run at higher throttle settings but not at idle, the probability climbs to 99.8112 percent.

Other possibilities are the standard stuff to check with carbs: Something is off so you don't really have the factory settings, stuck needle valve, sunken float, crud in some passage somewhere, but that's all stuff you already know to check.

If you get the car to run at a higher speed long enough to warm up fully, do that and then work on the idle. It's a lot easier to tune a warm engine properly and then work on the cold start system, than the other way around.

what did you have before?

is this carb bigger? if so and it's bigger than stock, then the jets will probably need to be tinkered with. When I upgraded mine, I had to use the jets out of the old carb to get her to run, and then try an assortment of different jets to really get it tuned in

First off Dan... FIRE your mechanic...

He's obviously a bum!

Why would he think that a "factory" setting is gonna work on non-stock application??? Geez!

I agree with the person that said look into the idle valve. It requires power to stay operated to keep the idle port open. You can remove it completely and cork the port to prove its the problem or not.

You should be able to get it to idle by holding the throttle open more than usual though, thereby bypassing the idle circuit. You can then look for some vacuum leaks and get that out of the way and then start lowering the throttle stop and adjusting the idle mix screw.

You never stated that this carb was properly rebuilt or tested or ran on another car before either. The idle port COULD be clogged internally if it wasn't properly "boiled out" and blown out also.

Lots of possibilities here... sorry I haven't a pat answer... But like all carbs, once ya start dickin' with them, you'll have another HOBBY for a while before ya get it all sorted out!

Good luck and have fun...

Back