My first Fiat

I've verified everything the ECU needs. It has a good ground, a good coil signal (as proven by the cold start injector operating) and the 12 volt ignition signal from the double relay. The injectors have a good 12 volt supply from the double relay so the only thing missing is a ground from the ECU to pulse the injectors. Across the injector connector I caught 0.030 volts pulsing from the ECU with my meter. It has min/max recording so I can recall the lowest and highest reading it took.

coil signal: diagnostic error

The cold start injector works independently of the other parts of the system. It works when the thermotime switch has 12v (from the ignition via dual relay) and is cold enough to ground the cold start valve (injector). Max duration when very cold about 8 seconds.

This has nothing to do with the coil, ECU or ignition module.

Ok, my bad. Looking at the schematic again I see it. I jumped out into the garage this morning and did another test. I hooked my meter up to pin 1 at the ECU and ground. I cranked the engine and the min/max on the meter caught 6.5 volts high and 0.0 volts low so it looks like the ECU is getting the coil signal.

Last edited:
Sean... as I mentioned earlier...

Owning a car such as yours you really NEED to have a GOOD spare Ignition ECM and a GOOD FI ECM. Carry them with you in your ONBOARD tool box along with basic tools, fuses, and a COMBO RELAY.

And in this case... swapping out both would either PROVE or DISPROVE their involvement with your overall problem here... saving you what may be WEEKS of time, energy and frustration.

I know they can be a bit pricey but in the long run, they are a must and possibly your salvation! Gather up these things as you can... hopefully someone close by can LOAN you one to get you moving forward...

Start a NEW thread and ask if you want...

I've already got an FI ECU on the way. I'm probably driving everyone crazy but I'm the type to pick something apart to learn how it works.

I've already got an FI ECU on the way. I'm probably driving everyone crazy but I'm the type to pick something apart to learn how it works.
Me too.:eek:
I eventually found a corroded wire between the CTS (I think it was) and ground (top of cam cover), had gone bad in the harness. I don't think this was my biggest issue but it sure didn't help.

Yep... I hear ya...

I like to dive in by dividing and conquering... or in "layers"...

I mean... for this issue, you can eliminate the braking system, fuel tank, windshield wipers, etc. etc.

Those are obvious... but the "unseen" or can't be readily seen things... like these ECMs, I like to get those outta the way also. And if I do find them to be the culprit... I have been known to dig into them looking for a way to easily and inexpensively repair them also.

But AFTER I get the car back on the road...

Continued success and glad yur having fun!

Back