My Instrument cluster and console mods.

etownsley

Streel Legal GP Race Car
I ditched the original plastic cluster surround for a custom made aluminum piece. The old surround weighed 5 pounds! The new one weighs 1 pound and looks much better.
fiat033.jpg

fiat034.jpg

fiat035.jpg

Here is a picture of my new center console. I never liked the original. It always cut into my right leg. This one still houses the necessary switches and retains similar angular astetics.
fiat036.jpg

I know everyone likes pictures!

Last edited:
The surround weighed 5 pounds!!

The old surround weighed 5 pounds! The new one weighs 1 pound and looks much better.

That is crazy. I never would have guessed that Eric. What did the console section weigh?

Cup holder

That looks great, and a cup holder? Zoinks! I'm jealous of that, let alone the rest of it!

Jeff... you can pick up one of these blade style holders sheap at Autozone IIRC. Slips between the tunnel and the pass seat. You can hang it over the console when you have a passenger or over the pass seat when you are solo.

It even has a little square section for other junk like your cell or mp3 player. :)

Well Eric... if BETTER means...

... more RACE ORIENTED... then you succeeded... with the exception of the cup holder.

(If yur sipping coffee ya ain't racin'... HA!)

Good work though... I could use a narroweer body or a narrower console myself!

That's Sweet!

I considered something bigger myself but finally decided for the single cup holder because I am usually the only one in the car.

The console was not all that heavy.

It was one of the first modifications I did to the car. I hated the way it cut into my right leg.

I cut away the vertical bracing too, which most would consider a mistake. Maybe so....but I am much more comfortable.

The glove box cover (door) also weighs 5 pounds. The dash itself is fairly light considering it's overall size.

Lol!!

That's funny. My car pulls double duty. I autocross it and drive it back and fourth to work.

Better means lighter. Better means black and not brown. Better means better looking.

Here is a pick of what it use to look like.
fiat018.jpg

And the old console.
fiat063.jpg

Back