My K20 Project is getting close

jlmurphy21

Daily Driver
Well, after a year and 1/2 we finally took My X out for the first drive with the K20 Engine. Expecting a lot of shake out issues, but we were please to have only a hand full of things to knock out afterwords. Such a great felling to drive the car. It has seemed over the past year that every step forward we would take a step back and we would never get it going. I have had a ton of scope creep, but I am really happy with the way its turning out.

Here is what we have done so far

Full Body and paint restore
K20 install with MWB kit
WOW Breaks
Koni Coil overs
Brown wire MOD
Headlight Wiring MOD
Euro bumper change out.
Full Custom SS Header and Exhaust(Pictures to follow)

Here is what we will be knocking out as we button up the Car:
Install of Leather Dash from Henk
Install of Momo sterring Wheel
New Carpet from MWB
Leather Seats
matching door cards interior

Here are the pictures I have, but it was late. More to follow.
One question, is I am looking into the alinement and I was hoping to pick a couple of peoples brains on the best set up. I have 15" Wheels for Vicks with 195s in the front and 205s in the back.

Thanks,

Very nice!

That is great that you have gotten yours on the road. I'm jealous. It looks like we have similar taste in wheels as I have the same ones from Vick's. Post more pics when you have time and please share any issues that I should be watching out for. Congrats!

Welcome...

...To the K-lub :)

And ask away!

Can't wait to see pics of the exhaust...

Oh - are you using a programmable ECU?

Hondata

...To the K-lub :)

And ask away!

Can't wait to see pics of the exhaust...

Oh - are you using a programmable ECU?

Yes, I am using the new Hondata. I went with a JDM motor, to get the limited slip dif and keep the miles low. We have been tweeking the programing a bit, but the guy I got the Hondata from has a contact of a guy that can do email tunning so I might Have him send me a program to flash. I will be back in the shop this weekend and will take a bunch of pics.

Wiring

That is great that you have gotten yours on the road. I'm jealous. It looks like we have similar taste in wheels as I have the same ones from Vick's. Post more pics when you have time and please share any issues that I should be watching out for. Congrats!

We did some special stuff with the wiring and added 5 relays or so. We are in the process of making an as built wiring diagram so we know what the heck we did in a few years. When we get it done, I will shoot it over to you so you can see if you want take anything from it.

Biggest issue we have had was bleeding the coolant system. Also, we had to modify the gas pedal as the throtle was a hair triger at first.

I will keep you posted.

James

Yes, I am using the new Hondata. I went with a JDM motor, to get the limited slip dif and keep the miles low. We have been tweeking the programing a bit, but the guy I got the Hondata from has a contact of a guy that can do email tunning so I might Have him send me a program to flash. I will be back in the shop this weekend and will take a bunch of pics.

Sounds good! I have a decent base-map for the k20 tuned last year using stock injectors if you are interested. My setup is similar to yours with the "neck" between TB and manifold to clear the firewall.

Gonna be fun...!

More Photos and Exhaust Photos

I'm getting the interior button up but here are a couple of photos of the Exhaust that we did, thank god my buddy is a good welder, he did this all himself and I am very happy with how it turned out. Few more pics of the car as well.

That exhaust looks so nice! It looks like you used a cat as well so that probably keeps the noise level down. What parts did you use for it?

Nice work!

Hey James, I'm in Lakewood pulling an engine for my Scorpion project. I'd like to drop by and check out your work if it's cool. The weather isn't cool but that fabrication sure is.
-Christopher

Hello James, your x is looking great. I'm about to start my k20 swap. I have the MWB kit and my type R engine in hand. :)

Getting together

Hey James, I'm in Lakewood pulling an engine for my Scorpion project. I'd like to drop by and check out your work if it's cool. The weather isn't cool but that fabrication sure is.
-Christopher

Christopher,

Yeah, your more than welcome to stop by. PM me and we will set something up.

James

Parts

That exhaust looks so nice! It looks like you used a cat as well so that probably keeps the noise level down. What parts did you use for it?

Roger,

Colorado makes us have the Cat. I will get you the parts list. Sound is really good, not too noise, but it is not quite either.

James

Parts List

Roger,

The parts are as follows:

- k20 3/8 304 SS flange from stainlessheaders.com
- 1 3/4 304 SS first stage runners all length matched from 13 to 13.5 inches long.
- Cylinders 1-4 and 2-3 Y from 1 3/4 to 2 in.
- Final Y 2 to 2.25 in.
- 2 SS bungs for sensors both 14 mm
- 2.25" cat Magnaflow 59925
- 2.25" muffler Magnaflow 11225 cnt/ofs
Everything is 304 or 321 SS
All tig welded in argon purge environment w/ 308l rod.
Mandrel bends were originally from Columbia Mandrel Bends, about half of them were so badly marred up, they were trashed. Finished the job with stainless headers mandrel bends.

Colorado X party?

I'd love to see it too. :)

I'm working on projects at home in Evergreen this week, but would love an excuse to fire up my X and take a drive down the hill.

Cheers,

Rob

When ever where ever

I'd jump at the chance to take a break from sweating under the donor car to see some hot x's! Bandimere Speedway? Just kidding, but anywhere to have a cool drink and a bit of shade to see the results of both your efforts would be awesome.

-Christopher

It's like herding cats!

Thursday or Friday works for me. As long as I have a cool drink to hold and gesture at fabricated parts with I'm happy.

Back