My little red car won't crawfish...

Dave Burke

Low Mileage
Hi folks -
A little bit of info first: I have a nice 1976 X1/9 with the 4-speed and 1300. Recently my gear shifter bound up and I had to wrestle it to release it. This I did and set out to fix the problem. It seems that the cotter pin on the shift pin bit into the nylon boss at the end of the shift lever. There was no bushing or washer to keep the cotter pin away from the nylon, so I fixed that but then after looking at the mounting plate for the shift lever I realized that the right side where the lockout for reverse is located had been broken away. This helped explain how sloppy the shifting was into 3rd and 4th gears and why reverse was sometimes elusive. I ordered a used shift lever from Midwest-Bayless as well as a new lollipop and hardware and linkage.

Once I put the new parts into the car - wow! The gating was tighter, and I can run through the gears with a little flick of the wrist. EXCEPT: no reverse gear. Try as I might I cannot get to reverse - while I was able to do so when I had the broken part in the car. I can shift to 2nd or 3rd before trying reverse as well as other tips I have found online, and I am pretty sure that I adjusted the shift lever properly according to the service manual.

Does anyone have some advice for me? Is there maybe a modification to the shift lever or lockout system? Is the lollipop bushing and bolt supposed to be able to pivot (it is pretty well fixed although I greased it)? Are there supposed to be more bushings on the shift lever?

As far as I can tell, I fixed things properly - yet it ain't fixed. Ain't life grand?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Burke

Did you get the 4 spd part or the 5 spd part, they are different and will prevent the proper engagement.

Have you tried pushing down as you try to cross over to reverse through the 3-4 gate? I haven’t had a 4 spd X since 1980 so I don’t recall if that is the way to get to reverse on the early cars.

Have you adjusted the lollipop yet or is it something you left as it was from before?

Along with what Karl has said, I'm thinking it might be a linkage adjustment issue (if not something he said). Following the factory manual for the adjustment, don't be afraid to "go off the reservation" and try a little deviation here and there to see what happens. Over 40 years of wear and abuse, with some new and some old parts combined, things may not fit exactly like the manual assumes they should. So it might need a little "fudging" to get everything to work right.

By the way, what does "crawfish" mean in this context? I'm not always up on the things you kids say. :p

We know the gearbox itself is good since you could get reverse with the old parts. The manual really only deals with fore and aft adjustment of the shift lever via the two bolt adjustment of the shift rod to the lollipop. I have found that unless the pivot bolt which attaches the lollipop to the trans is tight enough then gears such as reverse (and 5th on a five speed) can be hard to find. I unbolt the two bolt connection of the shift rod to the lollipop. Then I tighten the bushed bolt from the lollipop to the trans until THERE IS NO VERTICAL MOTION but the lollipop is free to rotate horizontally with a little friction. Just keep tightening that joint until you detect no vertical movement of the lollipop but the 'pop is free or somewhat free to move vertically. In some cases I have even had to shim that joint to get it tight enough.

In some cases I have even had to shim that joint to get it tight enough.
That's a good point, the bushing and washer assembly at that pivot joint gets worn and distorted. Plus I found some of it completely missing on one of mine. You can get the whole kit new.

Hi Jeff, Carl, Kmead - The more I thought about it, the more I think I know what I did wrong. So all of the linkage from the shift rod to the tranny is new - BUT I may have done something a bit wrong. I really tightened down on the nylon lock nut at the pivot bolt and I fear that it is too tight to pivot. So as soon as the weather dries a bit after the next couple of day's storms (I am in Alabama - Beauregard to be precise. Yes, THAT Beauregard) I will get under her again and redo the hardware. Until then my left leg is getting quite a good workout when I back out of a space, and the gating on the 4 forward gears is quite nice!

Hi Jeff, Carl, Kmead - The more I thought about it, the more I think I know what I did wrong. So all of the linkage from the shift rod to the tranny is new - BUT I may have done something a bit wrong. I really tightened down on the nylon lock nut at the pivot bolt and I fear that it is too tight to pivot. So as soon as the weather dries a bit after the next couple of day's storms (I am in Alabama - Beauregard to be precise. Yes, THAT Beauregard) I will get under her again and redo the hardware. Until then my left leg is getting quite a good workout when I back out of a space, and the gating on the 4 forward gears is quite nice!
Is that bolt supposed to pivot? I thought it should be tight...

There are other items that can cause balky shifting besides the linkage. It is also a good idea to check:
- the 4 bolts on either end of the crossmember that supports the transaxle. Tighten them to spec.
- that crossmember may crack below the transmission so it is worth checking. I have a weld reinforced one for 1300 X for sale.
- the rubberized transmission mount above the crossmember--is it sound or separated?
- the 2 bolts and one stud/nut for that mount. Are they properly fastened?

Everything in the drivetrain is either new/uprated or restored.. Trans is NOS Regata 5 speed, never been in a car til now..
IMG_20191101_194901116~3.jpg
IMG_20191027_172814726~2.jpg

Last edited:
Back