my Project X update

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by GregS, Mar 24, 2020.

1. GregS

GregS ProjectX

I finished making and fitted a boot lid spoiler to my light weight track X on the week end. It might be a while before I get to try it on a track again though. I thought I may as well post some extra pics of some of the details that make this X a bit different from a standard one. The car is used for circuit sprints and the occasional hill climb, engine is still 1500, 5 speed, about 135hp at the flywheel, all opening panels are light weight, total about 700kg, 0-100kph (62mph) about 6.3 secs. There is a long write up from way back here https://t124.com/forum/forum/fiat-fans/fiat-fans-aa/14314-track-day-x1-9
    rear spoiler.jpg spoiler -side.jpg side shot.jpg front quarter.jpg dash.jpg engine.jpg plenum.jpg engine cover.jpg radiator.jpg hood hinge.jpg hood vents.jpg headlight etc.jpg seats.jpg

81x, jrt, PaulD and 14 others like this.
  2. beezee

beezee True Classic

Nicely crafted...

3. carl

carl True Classic

Makes my X look like a pile of junk, what great looking car.

mkmini likes this.
  4. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

Nice work! I do like that rear duct - I seem to recall having a conversation on that in some thread....

5. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

Not only Your :D.

This is one of X19 that are as a benchmark for me.

6. lookforjoe

lookforjoe True Classic

The side stripe is reminding me I really need to get going on the Dallara stripes - they help break up the overwhelming red-all-over look :D

7. lanciahf

lanciahf True Classic

Very nice! Thank for sharing

8. Mike Schofield

Mike Schofield True Classic

Wow! I absolutely love the scoop to the carbs!
    It looks very sexy! Not to mention the chromed engine lid!!

9. mkmini

mkmini True Classic

It is aluminium lid

10. Ulix

Ulix True Classic

Super cool car!
    Lots of interesting details.

do you have some pics of the dashboard?

How horrible is it to drive in terms of rattles and vibrations compared to a stock X?
    We all dream of lightening our street cars like that...

11. motoTrooper

motoTrooper True Classic

As usual nice spoiler! You have a nice talent for creating functional add-on modifications that don't dilute the purity of the design but enhance it.

lanciahf likes this.
  12. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Yes, very good looking project. Lots of excellent fabrication work. Nicely done, I'll have to review the link to your build on the other site.

EDIT: Just took a quick look at the linked site. None of the photo links work for me. Is it possible to host them here as well? Thanks.

Mike Schofield likes this.
  13. Bjorn Nilson

Bjorn Nilson Daily Driver

Nice build! The car looks awesome. Most of all I like the spoiler, hood and rear duct.
    Interesting story as well, and you got me inspired to keep my spare1500 dual 40 DCNF engine. I will find myself a project car once I am ready with my Uno Turbo build. A carbed 100% racer would be fun.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  14. GregS

GregS ProjectX

It looks like the photo links on T124 forum only work now when logged in, sorry. I will add a few more here but most are covered in this thread. Ulix asked about rattles and vibrations- I don't find it too bad, especially with the roof off, the suspension is not as stiff as most race cars, too much fun to worry about comfort.

Attached Files:

DanielForest and Dr.Jeff like this.
  15. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Thanks for the added pics. I like your dash treatment.

16. DanielForest

DanielForest True Classic

If I understand, your airbox isn't bolted to the carbs but bolted to the firewall and the horns (trumpets) are encased in some soft rubber. Do I get it? I maybe going to follow the same route if I find there is not enough air circulating in the trunk.

17. GregS

GregS ProjectX

The airbox is very light and is basically just sitting on 2 thick foam pads and located by the foam around the trumpets and the flex tube to the air filter. It does have 2 small screws into a thin pad stuck to the top of the foam support pads just to make it a bit more secure. The carbies and trumpets are so close to the cross member I couldn't come up with a better way and still allow for the engine movement.

18. avusblue98

avusblue98 True Classic

That front trunk/radiator ducting is just tits...

MikeHynes and Dr.Jeff like this.
  19. carl

carl True Classic

I'll have to ponder that comment...I think that means you like it.

20. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

What guy doesn't like them? ;)

Mike Schofield likes this.