My Spider is.....

Jeremy128

True Classic
GONE! I finally sold it. So now I'm back to a normal rational amount of Fiat Chaos with the 128.
The 128 is starting to resemble what I want from it. I got the 34DATR on it, and it loves it. I got pretty lucky. I bolted it on, fired it up nd only had to slightly adjust the idle.
Thanks to Jim D, I got the x bumper, disassembled it, and have the smaller part of the bumper installed ont he front. So, now I need to fix a brake line, then install the header, and then lower if using the x rear struts. With all of this, and the X wheels, the car is startign to make its bad attitude apparent to all who see it! :headbang::jedi:
If I could ever figure out how to post pics here, I'd post a few.

Soooo... you use a kid with a helmet for your bumper???

How's that work on the 5 mph tests... or is the poodle necessary to meet requirements?

HAHAHA!

Cute all around... and Jiminy is a great guy.

I'd clean up the bumperette with just a strip of black vinyl electrical tape and find some plastic chair cups at Home Depot to clean up the ends. Looks great...

I have been looking at the bumper trying to come up with ideas for cleaning it up. I thought about vinyl tape. I have also been thinking about removing all the black and cleaning it up.
AS far tas the chair cap, I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. I have not had the time to come up with a plan to cap the ends. Any advice based on experience would be greatly appreciated.
I'v ebeen lucky to get to know Jim over the last couple years. You are right..... hell of a guy.

As for the helmet and poodle, they were playing in the yard while I was palying with the Fiat.
THe helmet is a bit big for her, but it is that way for a reason. She is deaf and has 2 cochlear implants. We have to be a little more protective of her when it comes to head injuries. Also, when she wore a traditional bike helmet, it would knock her implants off of her ears. So, we got an oversized skateboard helmet and placed pads in it so the helmet was snug against her dome, but left room for her implants.
The poodle is a different story all together. if I need my bumper due to some tool hittign my car, they will get 75lbs of pissed poodle on em.

Last edited:
bumpers

I have been looking at the bumper trying to come up with ideas for cleaning it up. I thought about vinyl tape. I have also been thinking about removing all the black and cleaning it up.
AS far tas the chair cap, I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. I have not had the time to come up with a plan to cap the ends. Any advice based on experience would be greatly appreciated.
I'v ebeen lucky to get to know Jim over the last couple years. You are right..... hell of a guy.

I am doing the same bumper mods on my 128 Wagon, except I am using the front in the front where you are using the rear. Black electrical tape fits in the horizontal face, and I use the stock X bumper end cut down... I might figure out pictures someday also.

While at Jims place we discussed the front, but I decided not to use it because the angle of the front bumper. I thought it would throw the lines off. I'd be REALLY interested in seeing some pics!

Hey Boss...ya want I should cap 'em?

...er, cap some bumper ends.

First set...fabbed from '76-78 X ends for BlackX...done in '99.
Cutting them was PIA...due to thickass steel inside.
Flipped bumpers upside down, so the bevel edge was down.
Ground cut edge level, and affixed patch for the exposed foam/steel core.
Patch cut from the side of '76-78 bumper end.
Painted satin black...along with all other elements that were OE stainless.
I made a few more sets of these for the MM bumper conversions I sold several years ago.
OR02-4.jpg

Second set cut from '75 X ends for my former IceBlueX.
Vastly more simple...just cut 'em.
Looks far better as well.
Notice bumper painted inversely from stock X.
The center area had nice OE anodizing...protected from elements by OE black applique.
The top/bottom exposed anodizing gets funky in humid PacNW,
so I painted those areas satin black.
icebluerear1.jpg

icebluerear.jpg

Finally, pic of 128 Estate I'm picking up next weekend,
with X bumpers installed by PO.
Appears to be '76-78 bumpers with beveled ends, and '75 end caps...sitting at angle like that.
We'll fix that in a hurry...paint 'em satin black and lose the Hellas.
Paisley curtains, Grateful Dead rear window decal,
and set of MoonEyes on the front fenders,
and I'm ready to fly my freak flag as an earthmuffin,
gearhead, retread hippie from the '60s at Burning Man!
128estate.jpg

As far as the tape goes...

It sthe easiest method of cleaning up the bumper with a stock look.

Removing all the paint works also, as well as the clearcoat if ya want... then polishing the aluminum to a chrome like finish is also an idea. I like a bit of Body Color though... and repainting the center section regardless the same yellow would look cool.

As for end-caps... Like Chris and others have done... they use the stock BIG ends that they cut down to their likin and refit them.

Ricardo here once found door-knob bumpers for the home in WHITE that were almost a perfect fit over the strut towers... that looked like the factory covers. I betcha you can find some chair leg covers or skids or other plastic material at your local Home Improvement store that might work also.

Kids... always something... yur a good dad and doin' creative things for her... What a doll! I dunno 'bout the 75 pound poodle though!

HA!

Good chattin' with ya...

MM you buying KD's 128??????????????

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm thinking about collapsing the bumper shocks on my 128 and sanding the top to get a satin finish. I'll have to do something with the bumper ends though. I haven't figured out that one yet.

I was also considering painting the whole bumper black. I am waiting to get a black honey comb grill. I think it would look cool with the black HC grill, and a blacked out bumper.

Yes, that's KD's Estate...formerly!

Been lusting for an Estate for many years.
Have chased many derelicts.
Including a 500 mile RT with empty trailer.
Only good one I found was too much coin
for po' wage slave on fixed income.

Figure...I'm gonna be in Medford anyway for May SSCC.
Leaving BlueX with AJ for a month until June SSCC event.
Then going on to NoCal for family vacation anyway.
Since I'll be only a hunnert miles from Napa...why not?

Runs/drives, but wheel bearings were in Napa flood,
so will trailer it home...via Hwy 101!

Hey Mike i still have one of those bumper sets that you sold to me....

and had it shipped to Puerto Rico back then.And you know what,they are still in the same box you shipped them back in 1999 or 2000?....well,too long ago_Only thing they are now in TX!!!!..........:laugh:

Back