My X has arrived!

al_ngl

Resident Boilermaker
At long last I have my X1/9. Matt dropped it off Wednesday evening and I haven’t really been away from it since (except sleep and class). I went straight from my house to the Purdue car club callout Wednesday. Yesterday I got the car titled/registered/plated and went all over the place in the X clocking over 100 miles. A lot was I-65 and 4k rpms temp was solid 190, of course Matt’s worked out pretty much the whole car. So props go out to Midwest Bayless of course:headbang:

I got a FIAMM Riviera horn set from O’Reilly and installed right where the stock horn goes (PITA to fasten two trumpets in that space) but they sound pretty good (and have a 500 on the box:italia:). I wanted to be heard, especially on campus. I didn’t use the relay but they are loud enough w/ stock wiring.

I spent the rest of the day washing and waxing the car. I still have yet to do the interior. I have pics from last night (poor lighting) to post but the camera is in the X right now so I’ll get around to it later. The car drives just great. The only problems I have are that sometimes 1st, 2nd and Reverse take a little extra effort to engage, and my clutch pedal squeaks. I'm not really sure if that's a problem or if that's normal, but it doesn't seem too bad. I'd guess linkage but it's not all the time. There are a couple other little tiny things, but overall the car's great. I'm going to drive it while I can, and maybe put some money into it this winter.

Pics to come.

Congrats!
Yes, pics are mandatory.
I have gear engagement issues too. If it doesn't want to slip into, say first at a stop, I will put it in second than up to first, maybe let off the brake to allow the car to roll a tad then push it up, never forcing it, just gentle pressure, same is true for reverse, it won't slip right in, I go into 4th first then down to reverse, if it sill won't, ease off brake, allow a little roll, try again. I'm not sure if it's linkage or a grumpy gearbox but it isn't a big deal...yet.
Shifts fine driving, it's just engagement at a stop or slow roll.
My clutch squeaks too, an annoyance but I'm waiting to hear the "fix"!

I just thought of one other small problem: my signals seem to not work when the lights are on/up unless I mess with the wheel a ton so I think my indicator stalk/switch or something must be going bad.

You may want to...

...dye the interior vinyl with some of the spray dye that has been discussed in previous threads recently. I attempted to clean them up before Matt took it to you, but it seems they are faded as much as they are dirty. If you need more info, let me know.

to fix the squeaky clutch spring, try some spray lithium or good ole WD40 , then work the clutch pedal in and out until the squeak stops:thumbsup:

"The Fix"...

spraying lithium grease will probably work for a while but it won't "fix it". Unfortunately the true "fix" requires the pedal assembly to be removed. What happens is that a very large white plastic spacer through which the pivot bolt travels gets dried up and then instead of you moving the bolt when pressing the brake or clutch, you move the spacer. It's much more noticable with the clutch pedal since it travels further. I just rebuilt mine (had to come of for new masters). Feels like new, no noise.

spraying lithium grease will probably work for a while but it won't "fix it". Unfortunately the true "fix" requires the pedal assembly to be removed. What happens is that a very large white plastic spacer through which the pivot bolt travels gets dried up and then instead of you moving the bolt when pressing the brake or clutch, you move the spacer. It's much more noticable with the clutch pedal since it travels further. I just rebuilt mine (had to come of for new masters). Feels like new, no noise.

Yep that sounds about rite. In fact the WD40 or lithium grease will only work until about the second time you drive your car with wet feet from rain, but its an easier fix for the masses and easy enough that the minor inconvenience of having to spray it one a month or 2 is very acceptable to live with versus taking the entire assembly out and doing a 'proper' fix

Enjoy your new X, Alex

And we all have "just that little thing to fix", and forever.
Like Tony once said - you must enjoy working on your car as much as you like driving it, to own an X.
Have fun both ways,

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Yesterday I went down to my non-college home to show the car to my one car-guy friend down there and the rest of the family. After driving everyone around and sitting around talking it got to be pretty late when I got home. Anyway now that I'm relatively awake I'll post up my pics. It was pretty cloudy so the pics aren't great, but they'll suffice for now I suppose. The paint has a bunch of little imperfections and the rear trunk lid is bent, but overall I think it looks pretty good. These pictures are after a wash and wax and then a light sprinkling of rain.

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

clutch squeak attack

I shot some motorcycle chain lube on the clutch springs, and pretty much on everything that pivots on the pedal box, no luck. Then I stuck the end of the lube can's straw nozzle into the rubber boot that goes into the MC, shot a bit and squeak gone, for how long I don't know but it's gone for the moment anyway.

Back