Mystery wire and switch

torbinho

leckomio...
I am driving a '79. Recently someone had a similar question about some wire hanging of the left fire wall. His wires I belive were a leftover from the carbvan. My van is still in the engine compartment and wire are connected to it. I have a pair of wires in the same area that are not connected. One is white with white stripes the other one is black with a purple stripe.
In the backround of one of the pictures you see a bunch of wires connected into a round mount. Two spots on this mount are open. I wonder if they have to go there?
Futhermore there is a switch close the manual choke. Is this switch stock. At least it is not mentioned in the manual. So far I did not noticed any thing when switching it on and off. Maybe the unconnected wires are the reasen? See pics below.
Thanks for your feedback.

dscf6751i.jpg

wires with potential designation in firewall?

dscf6754.jpg

mystery wires

dscf6759.jpg

mystery switch in the back wall

Last edited by a moderator:
It will help us to help you if you always mention...

... the year X you have...

Then we can refer you to a schematic so you can answer these questions for yourself in the future also.

Please come on back with the year... if its and A/C car, and if its an '80, whether its a carb or FI model. Lastly, any other mods you might know of and photos like these, are always a great help.

BTW... in most cases... if everything WORKS and you find loose wires like this... and you don't have A/C... they are usually A/C related wiring that wasn't used.

The first two images show the two wires that connect to the gulp valve electrovalve.

The mystery switch looks like a non-OEM switch added by somebody. Purpose unknown.

Yep... just as Larry says...

I guess I got hung up on the wording WHITE with a WHITE stripe... and needed to know more.

Now... do you still have the GULP VALVE?

And BTW... it would APPEAR most cars equipped with A/C are in the Northeast... where its needed the LEAST! HA!

don't know what or where the gulp valve is...

would be cool if you could post a picture or a good despriction of the location of this valve. So I can check.
Thx for your help
:confuse2:

switch definitely aftermarket, could be fuel cut-off just check wires off it(where they go) the fuel relay is right there if you have elec. pump.
as for wires I have seen them on many a X1/9's not sure myself but I also have them on my 87'. I'm sure some guru knows but I think they are just excess in the original harness or could be used for testing something. Test them for power/ground/continuity.

No gulp valve to see...

I've just check. Appears there is no gulp valve in my car. Hm, should I put one in or is this part not too important. Or why would someone take it out? Also I should check the box with spare parts that came with the car maybe something is in there. Guess I have to familarize myself with the whole gulp valve assembly. Thanks for your links. They will be very helpful in the future. BTW have have the Haynes and another one called Chiltons Fiat '69-'81 books you mentioned. Could not find anything in the hurry.
Guess I have to make another order with parts soon.

I just found the missing gulp valve in the box!Now I have to find out somehow if it's still working. Any idea how I could find out? I was thinking if the gulp valve removal had something to do with the 40 DCNF carb and the arbath intake manifold that is intalled.
Below the location where the GV would usually sits is a metal cannister approx 4"x3"x2" big. Two hose hanging from it. Any idea what that would be?

Last edited:
Gulp valve

I've just check. Appears there is no gulp valve in my car. Hm, should I put one in or is this part not too important. Or why would someone take it out? was thinking if the gulp valve removal had something to do with the 40 DCNF carb and the arbath intake manifold that is intalled.
The gulp valve is part of the emission control system. Normally the smog pump sends air into the exhaust manifold to complete the combustion of CO and HC in the exhaust, turn them into CO2 and water vapor. The gulp valve redirects this air when it's not wanted. Changing the carb and intake manifold will change the engine's behavior so dramatically that the stock emission control system becomes pretty much unworkable/irrelevant, so after the DCNF conversion the gulp valve just in the way.

Below the location where the GV would usually sits is a metal cannister approx 4"x3"x2" big. Two hose hanging from it. Any idea what that would be?

That's more emissions control stuff. You're looking at the carbon canister that catches fuel vapor from the tank and carb float bowl, absorbs it, and then feeds it back into the carb to burn it when the motor is running. Chances are that it was disconnected as part of the DCNF conversion because the DCNF doesn't have the necessary fittings. You can remove it completely if you want; it's not doing anything.

IMO there are two sane ways of dealing with the emissions stuff on the carbed cars. You can do like LarryC and keep it all and maintain it so that it works properly; or you can (where legal) do a sensible and thoughtful and complete desmogging that will yield more power, better gas mileage, fewer greenhouse gas emissions, but more HC/CO/NOx pollutants. Sounds like your car has been desmogged (but not to my standards :)).

With more modern engines, the emissions controls work so well and are so integrated into the operation of the car that messing with them just makes the car worse - there's no such thing as "desmogging" a modern engine, you're just detuning it.

Sounds like your car has been desmogged (but not to my standards :)).

[/quote]

What are your standards? I like to thinks right. Is there more that should go besides the canister. Your input is appreciated!

Thanks for you detailed feedback you gave me on that issue already.

Cheers:clap:

That's a GOOD start...

Your mystery switch operates a relay... which in turn operates WHAT?

Follow the leads to where they go in the engine bay...

Smog or De-Smog... that is the question!

"What are your standards? I like to thinks right. Is there more that should go besides the canister. Your input is appreciated!"

Well... You have all the photos and you have all the drawings... Now it is up to YOU to determine if you have all the parts there. Then you need to determine if its worth restoring to stock or modifying... how far removed are you from stock?

Is your car required to have the smog equipment?

What are your personal preferences relative to the environment, power, and conscience.

WE can HELP but YOU need to do your homework, then make a decision based on all these factors.

MY GUESS is that you have a half-arse removal of all the smog stuff... you need to PROVE it one way or the other... With the carb you have and the missing gulp valve... I bet the smog pump is gone also... and if it is, and if there are no testing requirements... I'd be leaning towards a full removal.

Charcoal canister

I'll throw in my 2¢ here on this topic. Someone suggested disconnecting and/or removing it will help emissions and power.

If hooked up properly the charcoal canister has no effect on performance, and is important for emissions and safety.

The canister captures evaporative emissions and stores them for later intake, keeping the fuel system sealed and reducing or eliminating that gassy carb smell.

See if you can't figure a way to hook it up so that it works.

Back