Need feedback on tires - Brands, sizes, etc...

Arizonax19

True Classic
Looking at this wheel - it's available in 14 x 6 with 4/100 pcd and 38 offset and 15 x 6.5 with the same pcd and offset...

http://www.1010tires.com/images/wheels/super/maxxim_vigor_hsilver_lg_super.jpg

maxxim_vigor_hsilver_lg_super.jpg

I'm using custom modified GR-2 coil-overs so clearance is not an issue.

If anyone is currently running 14" wheels, what tires are you using and what size? Got any pics or experiences to share?

I have 195/50 15 tires but they are a tad talland bulky looking...Is anyone using 195/45's? If so, which brand and do you have pics or experiences to share?

Thanks!
T

Last edited:
Tommy, here's my opinion...

Unless you are asking for technical advice or actual information about the wheel, it doesn't do much good to ask for opinions.

It seems like what you want to know is, "Do you think this wheel will look good on my X?" Problem is, only you can answer that. If you think it looks good, then buy it and run it.

It seems to me that the people that DO like it are more likely to speak up than the people who DON'T like it, so you're not getting accurate poll results anyway. Or vice versa, maybe the naysayers feel more verbose that particular day.

But if it's opinions you want, here's mine. I'm not a big fan of wheels that are of an "open" design for the X. Meaning that there's more air than wheel. I personally think it looks ricer, and if you go too large with it (bigger than 15" on the X, IMO), then the big wheel with the little tiny disk brake looks ridiculous.

Hope I haven't stepped on any toes with my opinion, it's only worth what you paid for it. :)

Pete

I was actually looking more for tire

experiences with these particular sizes... and if anyone has personally seen the wheels. What looks good on the screen does not always look so good up close and personal.

Thanks for your input though, I will edit accordingly.

I do get what you are saying about the "ricer" look and it is a fine line no doubt. With bigger brakes, a lower profile and lower stance with proper camber adjustment, it can look "right", but of course "right" is highly subjective.

I liked the way my black car looked with 15's with drilled/slotted rotors and painted calipers with the exception that the tire profile was just too much that it overwhelmed the overall look... see what I mean?
IMG_0515-3.jpg

Tire size is gonna be the deciding factor...I'd like to do the first wheel in a 195/45/14 and actually go a bit smaller with the overall diameter (than a 185/60/13) but that tire size is HARD to find. The next step up is the 15. 195/45/15 is about as big as I would want to go and it's pretty readily available, but I am not real confident in some of the brands. Nexen is made in South Korea and seems to have both excellent and not so excellent reviews from people I don't know, so if anyone has any personal experience with them, specifically the N3000 I'd sure appreciate some X related feedback.

T

Last edited:
Tommy did you see Rooster's

In the FSW section... Not sure if he still has em' tho...

Usually I'm not a fan of the new school wheels on the X but these look great. I think 14s are just the right size for an X w/o flares or Dallara fenders. 15s look too much pimpin' :2c:

ROOSTER.jpg

try Nexen NX3000 tires, you can get them in 195/45/15's or 205/40/15 <maybe 45's?? They're about $60 each they offer great grip, and low road noise, only complaints are the tread pattern isn't "period" looking if used on an X1/9, and the tires are pretty soft compound, so its easy to wear them out in 15k or less if your a hard driver. The tires are R/Z rated

Tommy, I don't have a Road X anymore...

But I put 15's on my Scorpion and I don't think they look too big.

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a full "side" view.

I'd stay away from 14s, they have the same problem 13's do now (very little available in the way of performance tires).

For tires I went with Kuhmo Ecstas, 205/50/15 rear and 195/50/50 front. They're about $80 apiece.

The 195s are a bit larger in diameter than a 185/60/13 (22.7in vs 22.1) but don't give any fitment problems at either end, on the Scorpion at least. The rear circumference difference is about 4.3%, so your speedo will read a little bit lower than it used to, but in my case it was reading high anyway and this actually corrected things.

I have zero complaints about the Kuhmos, they seem to have great grip, and so far very little wear. I've never taken them in the wet tho.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I have 195/60 14's on my 14x6 biturbo wheels, I needed to cut a bit of the lower front fender to make them work though. I don't have any other clearance issues even with stock suspension and no spacers.

There is an extremely wide selection of 195/60 14's in all ranges of performance. 195/50 or 55 would be much more ideal and shouldnt require any cutting, but they do not have the same broad spectrum of selections.

I run Nexans on my car in 185/55-14

I think they are Nexen NX2000s or something like that. I got them out of Ca for something like $55 delivered to my door in PA...

If the offset is correct on your wheel, then you will have no issues with fitment as they are almost exactly the height of the stock 165/70-13 tire (22.0" as opposed to stock 22.1") and no more than the width of the 185/60-13 optional tire.

Last edited:
yep

That is what I am looking at right now.

The 14 with 185/55 rather than the 15's with 195/45...

Now, I just want to see the wheel live and in person.

Thanks for everyone's input

Tommy

COOL!

It looks like they got the ET and the PCD #s reversed on the box. If so, that means these have 4/98 pattern and 30 offset...

A set of hub-centric to wheel-centric spacers of about 15mm and some press-in studs would be idea for these.

I'm still undecided on 14's versus 15's but I chose 14's these will be near the top of the list.

Thanks for posting!
T

i have those wheels...

I think it was fiatwheels.com?? before they closed it down. They came with extended wheel bolts, center caps, and hub-centric rings. I'm running 185/55/14 all around, with 2 stock spacers at each corner. I'm not rubbing at all with an extremely lowered car (cut IAP springs and KYB's).

The 185/55's are great for the back, but I like the big n' littles look with a lower front end and I'm going with some 155/55's for the front soon. Hope this helps
I'll look for some pics...

Back