Need Help Identifying Part Mystery Part Contest

jjay911

True Classic
My only clue is that it says Japan on the back. I thought it might be off some old vintage car or motorcycle. It has a cool fin. I just have no idea what its off of... Thanks for any ideas.. JJ

image.jpg

+1 on the fender light.

Since JJ said it had "Japan" stamped or cast into it, probably one of the first round of "knock-offs", possibly from the late '70s or '80s.

Later than that you would expect the second round of knock-offs to be from Taiwan and the third round from China.

If it has a bulb, a 6 volt would tell us the intended application would be for about '64 and older, if 12 volt then probably around '65 or later? Something tells me that H-D changed from 6v to 12v around that time frame.

!

Looks like ULTRA MAN's head.

I bet you could find this in an old JC Whitney catalog. There's tons of hood ornaments and fender indicators all made in Japan, back when "made in Japan" was a JOKE!!!

I think I will make some kind of prize at the end of the year for the person that guesses most of these. Here is another one. I found these in a box and I thought they were old VW beatle lenses but if they are they dont match any I have seen on line..who is up for the pepsie challenge?:)

IMG_6306_zpsae1f67f0.jpg

IMG_6305_zps3bf59e42.jpg

IMG_6303_zps44477433.jpg

After some searching I found these... http://www.mofoco.com/item/EMPI_98_1066_VW_BUG_BEETLE_EURO_TAIL_LIGHT_LENS_73_79/533/c85m41

But I will post a bunch of parts soon that I cant figure out so stay tuned....

Yep, my first thought was the last years of the original Beetle.

Although I would not have picked up on these being the Euro version and not the North American version.

US version...

The reflex reflectors (clear plastic things seen inside from the back) added to the rear and side marker areas of the running light section of the lenses would suggest these are for the US market.

The ebay ones Bob references don't have this, and are probably for European markets.

OK... This parts ID contest will keep you busy.. Most of this is 850 parts but Some of it I havent figured out what it is yet....

The pitted chrome fixings

in the 4th from last photo remind me of bugeye Sprite hood retainers. The are located on the rear deck with the slot facing to the rear. The soft top has pockets in the trailing edge with a mild steel bar providing support.
They were also used on 50s/60s Triumphs too.

Thanks Pottsy....

Yea I figured those were from the 124 they hold down the top cover.

The one that is really got me stumped is this part

All I know is that is is in the convertible top frame somewhere but dont know what to call it..

Side flap lugs...

Side flap lugs is what I used to call them. They hold the sides down by slipping into a notch on the frame as the top is unfolded and tightened down. They slip into pockets in the side flaps and are riveted on, hence the two parts to make a sandwich around the top material.

Thanks Greg... Man that is a funky name for a funky product... I cant believe I still have thousands of parts that I have not even photographed yet...:wall:

I wonder what that does? Since I have an 850 It is sometimes difficult to figure out what is 850 and not since it has been hacked up into a race car...:italia:

Back