need help on wiring with photos

fiatphil

Daily Driver
Hi all i need help with the wiring of my x if you have a 1977 1300 4speed non-ac and can or willing to take pics of each switch in the center console so i can see what color wires are plugged in to which terminal/tabs on the back of each switch that would be great I really need the hazard switch, interior/dome light switch, the dash/instrument light switch,the aux switch

you're in luck....

first you get the "why didn't you mark the wires" speech, lol.
Mine's take apart, maybe I can describe the wiring diagram I made. this is looking at the back of the switches, just make sure that the little emblem on the front of each switch, is at the bottom
Hazard: orange wires, both on left side, one on first terminal(tied in with a smaller orange), the other on the 3rd terminal, nothing on middle terminal. the red wires same way, one on terminal 1, and the other on 3, nothing in the middle, doesn't matter which goes on which terminal.
Gauge light: top terminal red/white stripe, middle terminal brown, bottom terminal blue/white
interior light : top terminal, black, middle terminal-white/black, bottom terminal-black/purple
hope you can understand this, good luck

getting closer

So i have connected the wires as you described and things are almost all working just a few loose wires to finish up.
1 so there is no white/red wire to speak of where does the wht/red wire go to/come from
I have a yellow/black wire coming from the dimmer thumb dial currently no attached to anything. Not sure where it goes?
2 I have a grayish/brown wire coming from under the dash (drivers side) currently not attached to anything? Not sure where that goes?
3 I have a double red one smaller than the other. Both going in the center hump and then to the fuze box (I think) Not sure where that goes?
4 I have a double black wire not attached to anything. one wire goes to the dimmer thumb dial and the other to the (I think) fuze box.
5 I have not connected any thing the aux switch the one with the three dots on it.
Now the things that still don't work are
no dash lights come on at all
The dome light does not come on when the doors open but the buzzer does come on when the key is in.
the turn signals work only with the front turn lights are not plugged in
but hazards still don't work
THE GOOD
in the dash the lights indicator works
brights indicator works
the voltage gage works
brake lights work
headlights work
side markers work
tail lights work
reverse lights work
wipers work (one speed only)
dome light works with switch
lights go up and down

Maybe This Will Help?

Sorry! It's a honkin' big file for clarity. Just Print it out. If you can't find a 77 Fiat X1/9 Shop manual on ebay, nobody should care if I send you "better" copies for the complete system, for your reference.

Been There, Done That. Just buttoned it up tonite. :woot::dance::dance2::thumbsup:[

I don't know how your "X" has been hacked, but, the first Two pix look like the Brown wire that goes to the Instrument Panel Light Switch. It goes in the middle. The other two wires deside High & Low.
The Double Red goes to your Cig Lighter Element. There's a Double Black wire in there somewhere I'd suggest using for the Ground
That Yellow/Black wire either goes to Fuse G or to the Bulb in the Cig Lighter.
I disabled the Cig Ligther Bulb (total nusiance), but used a Yellow/Red wire to power my Fiber Optic Bulb so it's controlled by the Thumbwheel & Exterior Light Switch.
CAUSTION: Your results may vary!!!

Check My recent Center Console Lighting Post.

Never assume anything on a 37 year old car is as it should be. One or both of these guys may have done a "Hack Job" on it.

Last edited:
I don't know nuthin' about a 1977, but......

On my '86, yellow with a red stripe always had something to do with interior lighting, like the door courtesy lights, the switchgear lights, etc.

Are you sure that big wire bundle is supposed to be inside the center tunnel? On my '86 the main wire bundle to the rear of the car (engine and tail) ran along the outside of the tunnel, between the pass seat and the tunnel, under the carpet. As you can see by your pic, the wire bundle sort of lays on top of the trans linkage rod, and sooner or later insulation is going to wear thru and cause a big short.

They Learned Something in 8 Years

Put the Wiring Where you can get too it. LOL

That is how I Found Mine. No Guarantees about how I "fixed it". For now it works for me. I have an important "Vacation Trip" planed for next month and this "Puppy" behind the Passenger Seat.

A 600 mile trip thru the Smokey Mountains, in Early Fall. I haven't had a Cigarette in 25 years. I fixed the Plug for my Dash Cam and GPS. Film at 11:00. Happy Trails.

I have mine in pieces right now too. PM me if you want some pics and or advice got it all together again with switches hooked you no console so you can see.

Back