Need some Pictures 74 Alternator

jjay911

True Classic
JJs Dallara bodied 74 restoration/photo archive/ ETC

I am still working on getting my 74 Dallara bodied X on the road. Unfortunately there are 4 or 5 wires in the back near the alternator and Shelby and I can not seem to figure out which one goes where. Does anyone have any photos of this part of there 74 model? I am not sure if 75s are the same... Or anyone with a 128 it may be the same set up... I will get a photo soon and post what it looks like in there.... Thanks in advance.. JJ:help:

Last edited:
Ok here are some pics. There are 4 wires. Dont have a clue where they go. I also have included a sneak peek at the new engine thats in the car along with a sneak peek at the side of the car.... Notice that there is still 2inches of available space even with an 8inch wide wheel mounted and a quarter inch spacer.....:shock::shock::shock::shock:

P1010896.jpg

P1010897.jpg

P1010898.jpg

P1010899.jpg

P1010906.jpg

JJ... a '74 used an EXTERNAL regulator...

You will need to have a regulator and mount it to the firewall and then rewire the alternator to it. If you CHOOSE to go this route, get a '74 schematic and just rewire it. I imagine C/O or Matt would carry the regulators. (Matt has an external regulator for a '74 for $45 bucks...) Other later model generators will work also... but it would appear the wiring you are concerned with is for what I have stated. You could also use a later model Bosch or Marelli and rewire them also without the external regulator.

BUT... I would HUMBLY suggest you NOT... and go get a GM alternator with an internal regulator and just run one wire to the starter. The cost with a core would be around 50 bucks... and the details are in the Best Of section. Cost without a core ran me about 90 bucks.

Call if ya need more info...

IF it's a Bosch alternator, you can simply remove the brush pack w/ the harness attached, and replace it with the internal regulator/brush set, same physical dimensions. Volvo's -74 had the same setup :rolleyes:

Ok thanks gentleman.. Now assuming I have the alternator choices figured out. How do I know what wire goes where. Do you guys want me to pull the tape off of those wires and take another picture???? JJ

JJ... with either choice...

... you no longer USE those wires.

The later models used TWO wires... One went to the starter where it tied to the large BATTERY CABLE to recharge the battery, and the second (I think) went to the EIU where it eventually tied to the voltmeter.

I believe THREE of your FOUR wires went to the Regulator, and the fourth probably tied a guage of some sort on a '74. But if you eliminate the regulator... and do the mod as Hussein suggested or upgrade to a GM, none of this matters anymore.

Hey... call and I'll break out the drawings and you can decide what ya really wanna do.

BTW... our Las Vegas "friend" installed a GM on his '78 and just ran ONE wire to the starter... and HE SAID that his "voltmeter or ammeter" and idiot light ALL worked!

I dunno...

Tony I can do better. I will just have you out for a nice Italian dinner at Romanos Macaroni grill..........Just bring your electrical tools....:drink::italia::D

ive done the gm alternator mod, but i couldnt get the pulley lined up right, so it ate up belts left and right, and yes, those wires go to the regulator in teh rear trunk, i just took mine out and went to an internally regulated one, never looked back, just run the big wire to the starter and the small wire to the diode that controls the dummy light, i think mine is out right now, but i bid on a 65A alternator on ebay, but its still got 5 days left, i sorta dont wanna win it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=200393579485&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab=Bidding
feel free to bid on it, i sorta jumped the gun on the bidding, but i bid the minimum so if you bid another 5 cents, i bet you will win it

the regulator...

is that little black box up by the passenger side hood hinge, you should trash it and follow the two wires back to the alt. Another wire comes from the starter, that's the charge wire, last wire by deduction will go to your dummy light. I used a 79 Bosch like the one Thai found on Ebay. Cool thing about that particular alt is that the voltage regulator for it is on the back of the alt, and if you can read the number off the back of it- a replacement is easily found at most big box Auto parts stores

Hey Thai...

I found that I had to cut about 1 3/8 inches off my swivel mount, not the 1 inch as recommended.

If you cut too much... you can always shim it with some washers to get it to align.

But like I said... 1 3/8" worked perfectly with no belt problems.

HTH...

i sorta dont wanna win it
I think I may buy this Brotha... It may solve my problems.. As long as you guys hold my hand and help me get this sorted... There is also a major suspension issue as well... We put the stock shocks back on the car but because the car is so light with all of the fenders cut off it rides 7 inches off the ground....:eyepop:

Voltage regulator

I circled it in yellow, you'll notice it has the same green casing around the wires in your hand....

voltageregulator.jpg

Ok. I have a list I am putting together of items to finish on this car. Before I show you the entire list. Let me share with you some pics of the wheels before they go down to HRE for Restoration and Widening. I am open to oppinions on how wide and how much of a rear spacer and how much tire we should have... I also dont know if If I widen the front rims from 7 inches to 8 if I will need to put a spacer on the front as well to clear the shocks. Or do I just leave the front at 7 inches. The rear seems to need 5.5 inches more to get the lip to the edge of the fender. Do I go 10inch wide on the rear rims and put a 2 inch spacer??? Check the photos and tell me what you think.......

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

Back