Needed: 1978 Alternator or rebuildable core

Gerald Pels

Low Mileage
Please let me know if anyone would have available for sale either a working alternator for a 1978 x19 (external regulator) or a rebuildable core for one. A picture of the unit needed is attached.
Thanks in advance for your help. Have a great day.

Attachments

• Original Alternator.jpg
    Original Alternator.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 29
I will look around my parts pile. I took the 1300 out of my 78 years ago. The engine is still here, so the alt must be here somewhere. It was working when I pulled the engine.

I will look around my parts pile. I took the 1300 out of my 78 years ago. The engine is still here, so the alt must be here somewhere. It was working when I pulled the engine.
Hi Jim- That would be awesome. I really appreciate it.
-Gerry

Well that was easy. Only had to look in one box. I had pulled the parts together to use it to troubleshoot a friend's 76, so the belt, harness, cover and regulator were all together. It is a little dirty, but looks correct vs your picture. It does not have that little black box seen in your sample photo. I am not sure what that box is, but probably a noise capacitor.
78_alt.JPG

Please let me know if anyone would have available for sale either a working alternator for a 1978 x19 (external regulator) or a rebuildable core for one. A picture of the unit needed is attached.
Thanks in advance for your help. Have a great day.
I swapped my ‘78’s to a GM alternator. More reliable and easy to find replacements if needed! Only had to make one little bracket for the tensioner arm, literally bolted in!!

I swapped my ‘78’s to a GM alternator. More reliable and easy to find replacements if needed! Only had to make one little bracket for the tensioner arm, literally bolted in!!

I have to admit that one of my clients did this swap, per the discussions on this forum. Already had to replace the alternator twice (once under warranty from the business that did the first swap for him), and the second he just paid for it. I can only guess that the rebuilt units sold thru the NAPA stores are of poor quality.
He has also broken the modified aftermarket GM upper mount. I now have it doubled up to (hopefully) prevent it from breaking, again. So far, so good.

The client has admitted to me that he wishes he had not done the conversion, only because it has now stranded him twice. The old Fiat unit never left him on the side of the road waiting hours for a tow truck.

I have to admit that one of my clients did this swap, per the discussions on this forum. Already had to replace the alternator twice (once under warranty from the business that did the first swap for him), and the second he just paid for it. I can only guess that the rebuilt units sold thru the NAPA stores are of poor quality.
He has also broken the modified aftermarket GM upper mount. I now have it doubled up to (hopefully) prevent it from breaking, again. So far, so good.

The client has admitted to me that he wishes he had not done the conversion, only because it has now stranded him twice. The old Fiat unit never left him on the side of the road waiting hours for a tow truck.
My brother worked at a small auto parts store and told me every time they switched suppliers, the swapped out all the parts boxes, just the box not the part!! Who knows what was inside your Napa boxes!! The rebuilder we use at work fails sometimes, but it’s usually when HE tries a new suppler for his parts!!! My alternator is a used GM unit I got from a friend, history unknown, been on the car for 5 years trouble free??

The top mount can be tricky to get right. I have done a few revisions on mine. think I finally have it now.

IMG_2845.JPG

I still want to pull it and clean/paint it up, but so many other projects still to do.

Back