New 1500 Lancia SOHC short block

karhawk

True Classic
Anybody know what Lancia this 1500 might have fit? I will use this new not rebuilt block with a FI head, fast road cam from Delta, 74 exhaust manifold with custom exhaust, Euro carb intake with 34 DATR. I will have the flywheel balanced and lightened.
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG

The pistons are just about even with the deck of this block but I am not sure what the compression is

Chris
Oakland, CA.

No help on the application..

..but it sure is nice! Are the front & rear flanges all the same bolt pattern? I see an extra flange casting to the rear...

All numbers I have have a number after the A in the motor number.
This looks like a B.
Anyway number MOT831A0 sits in a Delta 1.5

Compression rating

so far everything bolts up, that extra boss in back was for a egr and needs to be blocked off.
anybody know what the compression rating might be?

Thanks

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Well that's going to depend...

so far everything bolts up, that extra boss in back was for a egr and needs to be blocked off.
anybody know what the compression rating might be?

Thanks

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

On what head you bolt up. If you bolt up the head that was intended for that block, then you can just look up the factory spec. But if you use any other head, or a head that has been modified (shaved), then the only way to know is to do some measurements.

Before the head goes on the block, you will need to know how far down in the bore those pistons are at TDC. You will also need to know the volume of the valve reliefs in the piston, the volume of the combustion chamber in the head, and the thickness of the compressed head gasket. Once you have all those numbers it's an easy calculation.

Pete

I found this

Looks like the compression is 9.2

engine
1980 Lancia Delta 1500 GT See all Lancia models
Bore × stroke 86.40 mm × 63.90 mm
3.4 in × 2.52 in
Cylinders S-4
Displacement 1.5 litre
1499 cc
(91.475 cu in)
Type SOHC
Key: SOHCSingle overhead camshaft DOHCDouble overhead camshaft OHVOverhead valves TSTwo stroke SVSide valves SlSleeve valves oiseOverhead inlet side exhaust See more...
2 valves per cylinder
8 valves in total
Construction
Sump
Compression ratio 9.20:1
Fuel system 1 We carb
Maximum power
(DIN) 86.2 PS (85 bhp) (63.4 kW)
* 5800 rpm
Specific output 56.7 bhp/litre
0.93 bhp/cu in
Maximum torque
(DIN) 123.0 Nm (91 ft·lb) (12.5 kgm)
* 3500 rpm
bmep 1031.1 kPa (149.6 psi)
Specific torque 82.05 Nm/litre
Maximum rpm
Manufacturer Lancia
Code
Main bearings
Coolant Water
Bore/stroke ratio 1.35
Unitary capacity 374.75 cc/cylinder
Aspiration Normal
Compressor type N/A
Intercooler None
Catalytic converter N
performance
1980 Lancia Delta 1500 GT See all Lancia models

0-50 mph (80 km/h) 7.00 s
0-60 mph 12.50 s
0-100 km/h
0-100 mph -1.00 s
80-120 km/h (50-70 mph) in top
Standing ¼mile 18.20 s
Standing km 34.20 s
Top speed 161 km/h (100 mph)
Fuel consumption

Still depends on the head, head gasket, etc.

I have found that the compression ratio listings, especially for FIAT, are pretty nominal. Yes, the application listed is a Euro spec 1500, but they came in a number of different HP levels which corresponded to various applications.

The block you have is functionally a 1500 FIAT short block. The FIATs came off the line with a casting number on the side of 138 and FIAT name cast in, while the Lancia blocks came off the line with a casting number of 831 and LANCIA name cast in. Same engine.

As stated above, final compression ration depends on deck height, piston cutout size, head gasket used and most importantly combustion chamber volume. BTW, the large valve relief pistons that you have are usually about 4.7cc in volume.

You won't know until you measure.

Ciao,

As stated above, final compression ration depends on deck height, piston cutout size, head gasket used and most importantly combustion chamber volume. BTW, the large valve relief pistons that you have are usually about 4.7cc in volume.

I just recently realised the influence of the head gasket.
The 9,2:1 is probably with a 1mm gasket.
Placing an after market head gasket can lower compression below 8,5:1.

I will measure the deck to piston height, looks almost flush, I will shave the FI head so there is no remaining piston outline, then meas. the piston cutouts and CC the combustion camber. I will use a Fiat gasket unless there is something thinner as good out there.

Chris
Oakland, cA.

For whatever it's worth, experienced engine builders prefer seasoned engine blocks to new ones, especially on a high performance build.

///Mike

Looks like mine...

That looks just like the motor from my X. My X has the Euro version of the 1500 with the pistons that go all the way to the top. Do the US version do this?
Brett

Back