New 82 and under steering rack and tie rods. No longer for sale.

Mike Schofield

True Classic
Brand new steering rack and set of outer tie rods from Midwest Bayless.
I goofed and ordered the wrong one.
this one is for years prior to 82. A2AE1F2E-1F1A-409F-88E3-F6D674A50740.jpeg5884F994-4C38-4BDF-A30F-01B57B5CDD84.jpeg8B2F89F0-0C04-4F29-BF22-CBB1E704A800.jpeg
Not sure how much to ask. I bought the rack for 238.79 American and 47.58 American for the set of tie rods.
make me a fair offer.

Exposing my ignorance here.

I recall a difference in the late front suspension steering knuckle arm being a different dimension on the late cars. Is the diameter of the tie rod taper different from the early cars?

Does the difference in length of the cast arm on the old knuckle make it impossible to adjust a new rack/tire rod arrangement for the difference in width of the older steering arm to older steering arm dimension vs new?

I have never seen the two side by side, its just surprising the difference is enough with the car itself not actually changing in track width that you couldn’t use the early in a late car or late in an early car.

Also, it will fit later years cars as well as long as you have both the rack and the tie rod ends. You just can’t mix the later years tie rods with the earlier rack and vice versa

Also, it will fit later years cars as well as long as you have both the rack and the tie rod ends. You just can’t mix the later years tie rods with the earlier rack and vice versa
That is what I was wondering and thought would work. Thanks

The racks are interchangeable between all years, the only real difference is the inner/outer tie rod ends. the earlier racks like this one use a shorter inner with a fine thread while the later style "Bertone type" switched to a longer inner tie rod with a coarse thread.

The late style ones are preferred for racing because they provide easier access to the jamb nuts and are quicker to adjust.

Mike, although the rack itself is different from yours, the rack with matching tie rods should fit. In other words, use the entire assembly together (as pictured) and it should work.

I went through the same deal...backwards. Was sent a late model rack instead of an earlier, (with new tie rod ends included, no less)...
Had previously purchased the early tie rod ends in a great deal, so no, not able to use the "alternate" rack with those, and was spooked by the difference. Looking back, I should have used the later rack, and simply sold the early tie rod ends...Dah.

Now with my "correct early rack" in, the adjustments are a PITA!

Live and learn... or simply listen to Brayden.

Looks like you should try twisting the little thing sticking out to the right. Then they might just about line up. Not trying to be funny. I was judging based on the appearance of the boots on each rack.

Looks like you should try twisting the little thing sticking out to the right. Then they might just about line up. Not trying to be funny. I was judging based on the appearance of the boots on each rack.
The tie rods on the new rack are not even engaged. The mounting locations wouldn’t line up at all. Again, everyone is saying they’re interchangeable but I can’t see it.

The tie rods on the new rack are not even engaged. The mounting locations wouldn’t line up at all. Again, everyone is saying they’re interchangeable but I can’t see it.
You have the new rack turned all the way to the right side such that the boots and the rack inside are moved all the way to the right. You have the old rack turned all the way to the left. Try centering both racks by turning the input pinion shaft and then line them up.

The tie rods on the new rack are not even engaged.
You need to screw them in a good few turns and then I'd say both racks are the same length :)

TBH, I think they are both early racks as the later ends are a couple of inches shorter (and the inners correspondingly longer) :confused: Admittedly your old rack is the later FIAT/TRW type which has a staked lock nut on the pinion cover - at least the older Cam Gears type can be easily taken apart and serviced with just the two cover bolts holding it together.

You have the new rack turned all the way to the right side such that the boots and the rack inside are moved all the way to the right. You have the old rack turned all the way to the left. Try centering both racks by turning the input pinion shaft and then line them up.
Seriously? I have zero experience with steering racks…I’m gonna try it…

🤦🏼‍♂️ Yikes! Boy my face is red!! That was totally it! No wonder I wasn’t seeing it!!! Very embarrassed here but thankful for everyone’s input! Not sure what I can blame that one on….Covid brain?? Although it was four or five weeks since I had Covid! Thank you everyone!
no longer for sale!

Back