New book on the financial collapse may be an interesting read...

I don't think you are....

going to get any argument about the political class. But who, precisely do you nominate to do all this here investigating who is not also part of the political class? Ken Starr?

This is the problem with polarized politics-it is all about dividing up into contending camps and in doing so we surrender our authority over those who lead. I'm not in disagreement with you on any of this really. But the issues you raised are derivative not fundamental. And the solutions will be the laziest way out. Dodd-Frank is a sham, just as all such bills will be in the absence of a real change in the relationship between the taxpayers and the banking system. Matthew has mentioned the first obvious change which is to remove regulation from the system altogether-let banks rise and fall on their own merits. But that system would likely be able to withstand one calamity before we would be right back to insured deposits and some form of tacit government guarantee. The country has been there before in the 30s and the whole of the recent crisis was more about preventing runs on the banks than anything else. It's pretty easy to just throw the bathwater out but you had better check for the baby before you do.
The other way would be to peel the FDIC banks off from everything else into a 'safe' bank system with relatively srict capital ratios and limits on loan pass throughs. But that would raise borrowing costs and eat into bank profits and interest paid to depositors. Sheila Bair made exactly this recommendation and got nowhere. The banks apparently want both the freedom to place capital at risk and the safety of government backup. If the investment banks are going to constantly push for higher leverage allowances in order to maximize profits and commercial banks are tied into that system we are at risk of repeating the past 5 years. Until that conflict of basic interests is resolved it is hard to see how things are going to be any better no matter who you put in jail.

Whatever the wisdom....

of using Spitzer as a spokesman, the issue of mirror gazing, at least at the collective level strikes me as the most important one for trying to understand how we got to where we got to.

Andrew Bacevitch has cast this in terms of how, or even if, we define prosperity and, in the face of such a defintion, how our collective values support or fundamentally undermine pursuing that prosperity. In the recent circumstances, for instance, how much of the housing bubble is directly attributable to a broad association of success and prosperity with 'homeownership' and how far have we been willing to stretch the definition of 'ownership' in order to support an illusion of success and prosperity. The evidence suggests that our society places an inordinate and ultimately insupportable value on this one aspect of our economic lives and is willing to go to great extremes to avoid frustrating the desire to 'own'. Even unto ensuring that many will not only not own but will be impoverished by the attempt to do so.
All of the talk of blame and wrongdoing certainly has its place in a comprhensive view of our current mess, but it seems to me that those are contributing factors but not essential ones-they could have been of a different nature or undertaken by different actors- but the real support of the crisis would always be there in the form of a strong cultural tide on which everyone rose and fell together. I don't think the book has been written on this yet.

Excellent summation of a hugely unwieldy idea.

Nice, job Usta!

Your friend Bacevitch has some pretty cogent thinking, and is quietly on target, amidst the squabbling/debate/noise that otherwise surrounds this issue and so many others...(like military spending).

Where to start the book you suggest? Ha! As I ponder it, the only thing I can come up with is a frontispiece that would include the old saying "Behind every great fortune lies a theft"....

And I listen to this song as I continue to cogitate on the rest of that book.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg_ZGcuybs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg_ZGcuybs[/ame]

Back