new brake pads

Karas137

Daily Driver
what are some companies that offer performance street pads?
if anyone has some input on some being better than others, that would be great as well.

I just got a set of these:

Yellow pads from Allison Automotive. About $ 175 for both front and rear.

yellowpadssm.jpg

Last edited:
those are ebc yellow stuff pads right?

did a little digging around and landed on porterfield and hawk. and a friend recommended i check out ferodo too. they all seem pretty good so i dont really have a way to pick one over another. id like to know if any1 here uses these and what they think of them.

I swear by Hawk's, we dont run anything else. They stand up to a hard punishing on the track and work brilliantly from cold on the road. They don't squeak either, dead silent. Theyre a little more expensive then some others, but they last literally twice as long so its good value in the long run.

They don't make a specific pad for the X though I dont think. I just took an X pad and compared it with the drawings in the Hawk book and found the closest one - from an old RX7 I think it was. After about 10mins on the bench grinder it fit perfectly.

As a comparison, we run Hawk's in our Alfa Sprint that Dad and I compete in on the track. With both of us driving 20 or so laps each per event and around 7-8 events per season, we're getting about 2 seasons out of a set of Hawk's on a track that is notouriously heavy on brakes. Once we ran some EBC's because thats all we could get - within 10 or so laps they were crumbling apart. We checked them after the event and they were used up, ready for the bin. And they still cost about 75% of a set of Hawk's! But I'm sure they are perfectly fine for spirited road driving :)

Karas... Good to hear from you...

Take a trip to Harbor Freight on Victory near Shoup and pick up a bench grinder for $39.00 bucks...

I run the Ferados with NO squeaks and excellent brakes for the street... own TWO bench grinders, and have another 100 bucks in my pocket!

Your choice... HA!

thx andrew, i did read that hawks are great however i dont have a grinder. talked to matt and he said that porterfields are the only ones he uses and i just found an excellent site to get them.

http://www.lpiracing.com/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=110372

I run Hawk's on my street cars (street pads) and the RX7 (1990) rear pads on the lemons-x2. The hawk HT-10's and Blue's both performed fantastic on the lemons-x2, but on a street car or to do it again I would try the porterfields from Matt, he races quite well in SCCA and knows what he's talking about.

RX7 rear's are thinner than stock x19 front's, and thicker than rear's, so if keeping stock rear calipers an oem fit (porterfield) is better IMO

Back