New bumpers. Early-ish

Bobkat

1979 x1/9
So finally finished the bumpers off. Took a few version to get something I am happy with. I have as set of Early FG copies but they are really poor quality and still to large IMO making the car look narrower. My first two designs were a little too thin. This version is just right to my eye. I designed them to be in line and sized with the marker lights . Front is narrow through the centre and widens at the front turn signal lights to the markers. Picture heavy!

front head on sm.jpg

rear head on sm.jpg

front quarer sm.jpg

front pass close fron sm.jpg

front pass close quater sm.jpg

front driver close quarter sm.jpg

rear drivers close side sm.jpg

rear drivers close quater sm.jpg

rear oass close sm.jpg

front 3 quarter sm.jpg

rear side sm.jpg

Thin bumpers were on some iconic early supercars. Love it. They were chrome naturally, for the era. I could even see yours in chrome for some X's with all chrome trim. But this looks right for your's with all black trim. ;)

Thin bumpers were on some iconic early supercars. Love it. They were chrome naturally, for the era. I could even see yours in chrome for some X's with all chrome trim. But this looks right for your's with all black trim. ;)
All my trim is still polished stanless. May be i will finish a set really smooth a wrap in chrome.

Very nice design overall. In fact better than the early bumpers IMO. Gives hope for the bumperless look. Nice "machine" color (solid primary) on the X too. Best of all: No wing! Nice and clean. I like.

Very nice, would like to see more on the exshust throgh the grill. Exactly what I was planning to do. Can you share a couple of pictires under the hood...so to speak.

All my trim is still polished stanless. May be i will finish a set really smooth a wrap in chrome.
Ya, maybe instead of "trim" I should have said the other "components" around the bumper areas are black. So the black bumpers blend in well.

I'll throw out a idea that I am doing with mine. The stainless and bright work is getting a "brushed" effect. If you went that direction then the bumpers could be wrapped in a brushed stainless to match. Perhaps also some of the other components as well? Although I do like the contrast of the black against the bright blue body.

Ya, maybe instead of "trim" I should have said the other "components" around the bumper areas are black. So the black bumpers blend in well.

I'll throw out a idea that I am doing with mine. The stainless and bright work is getting a "brushed" effect. If you went that direction then the bumpers could be wrapped in a brushed stainless to match. Perhaps also some of the other components as well? Although I do like the contrast of the black against the bright blue body.
I get you. The stainless trim really polishes up nice but does take some effort. Brushed is an interesting idea. The metallic wraps are so good now.

Nice! Can I ask what you did for the front spoiler? Was that from a '74 or did you make something instead?

The bumpers (and spoiler) look amazing. Put me on a list if you ever do production on either as well.

Sorry to be late to this thread. I like on the front how you keep the bumper narrow until you get to around the turn signal and then it becomes a bit thicker. Nice touch! Looks great.

I missed that photo on the winding mountain road the first go round on this thread. That is now my favorite X 1/9 picture of all time now. Captures the whole "thing" right in one image. Only way it would have been better is if the X was actually on the road instead of obviously pulled over. But still wins and will be hard to beat.

Back