New Distributorless Ignition System

so cal mark

True Classic
Later this week I'll be unveiling our new distributorless ignition system. Instead of using a modified pulley, trigger wheel and mount, it uses a trigger unit that replaces the distributor. All of the electronics are contained in the trigger unit. The coil output is 60000 volts, it's good to 12000 rpm. Trigger unit is billet aluminum, very compact. The kit will include everything needed to install; trigger unit, harness, spark plug wires and coil pack. It's very simple to install and time, only takes about 20 minutes.

We've installed the first units on 124 Spiders, and they work flawlessly. There is a short youtube video linked at www.allisonsautomotive.com
Here are some pics of the system;

Uh oh, somebody beat Bob B! Very slick indeed!

Any chance you can make a cam driven unit?

Kinda looks that way, doesn't it?

Re: beat me to it....

This one includes the coil drivers as well whereas mine does not.
Looks hassle-free to me. I like it a lot.

Last edited:
The unit features a mechanical advance, 18 total at 3k and it can be adjusted. It has an internal tach driver.
Wil, contact me about a video install on your car. You can call the shop at 909-981-3566 or email at allison1565*verizon.net

The units are being made exclusively for us by Compu-tronix. If you want full info on the unit, the mfg website is www.compu-tronix.com. Select the Ford 2.3 setup, it's virtually the same as the Fiat unit.

here is a link to the video of the system mounted in a Spider;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiCMZ3X0Y58"]YouTube- Allison's Automotive distributorless ignition for the Fiat 124, 131, X1/9[/ame]

Not convinced

I like the idea of a distributorless system which doesn't require a crank position sensor. The problem is what is the advance curve? Apparently the advance is adjustable, but this only seems to be the initial advance. Typically, advance should be determined by the engine RPM and the engine load, resulting in a relatively complicated 3D map for modern ignition systems. This configuration could only have advance based on RPM (as there is no MAP sensor) and the same system seems to be being sold for X1/9s and 124s which have different factory advance curves.

Obviously the spark will be better and the installation will be neater, but the single most important part of the ignition system (from a performance perspective) is the advance curve. This should be as aggressive as is possible without pre-ignition. To do this, the system really needs to also know the engine load and ideally be fitted with a knock sensor.

Cheers,
Dom.

in order to use a full electronic advance we need to buy/build 300 units at a time. The market for that isn't there, so we went with this alternative. The mechanical advance can be tailored to your needs just as a distributor can. This system can be installed by any owner that has just a basic knowledge of auto service.
The system is very similar to the Spider unit, but has slight differences. Static timing is easily set and the curve can be adjusted to your needs.
This is a simple alternative to a crank-fired system that requires custom pulleys, trigger mount and ecm.

Nice set up...

Would work great for stock or mild modified applications. I am guessing that Electromotive would still be the way to go for custom tuning and horsepower.

Nice alternative however. I like the ease of installation.
Brett

I agree if you have the capability of building a fuel and ignition map, the electromotive system is great. For any other application this system will give outstanding performance. This system is also about $200 cheaper than the electromotive system, and requires a fraction of the installation and programming time

I am going to agree with Mark here....

And be a bit of a heretic. I would say that a programmable map for the ignition does not buy you a whole lot over a well operating standard style distributor WITH an operable vacuum advance system.

I had the opportunity to program a map for my car when I had EDIS on it. And, you know, the map ended up looking a lot like the curve on a fuel injection Bosch distributor. No dyno tuning, just datalogging & adjusting.

I would venture to say that a programmable ignition map is only going to give benefit when you are both dyno tuning and going for very specific performance parameters. Steve Hoelscher's DSP car comes to mind here, where Steve's engine was hobbled by low compression and a stock cam, and he was tuning around those impediments for maximum torque.

Ciao,

... and speaking of discounts...

... the X-web Member Discount would be???

Being Mr. Frugal and now an official Senior... on Social Security and a fixed income... with Veteran's Benefits...

I'm always on the lookout for these opportunities...

HA!

Very clean installation of the ignition system inside my unclean engine bay. I am inspired to start cleaning up my engine bay to match the ignition system.
ignition.jpg

Very cool.

For most of us who have Yugo ignitions and have found parts becoming harder to find, this is a great product. Nice item for the daily driver or weekend warrior type.

Can't wait to hear more on how it drives.

Eric

Mark... Wil spells his name with ONE "l"...

... as he never could afford to buy two.

HA!

Probably even more so now...

Back