New engine getting ready to fire up

karhawk

True Classic
I have a couple issues for the collective:
How tight should the timing belt be? (shaved head 1300 tensioner now)
I'm getting belt creep and I have only cranked it so far
I can crank over the engine shorting the starter, ignition won't crank it
If the timing belt is too loose is the 1438 tensioner the next size to use?
I'll check the neutral safety switch to see if that might be the issue preventing the ignition switch from cranking the engine.
Also no gas coming yet from the manual pump, I will prime it to see if that works
added notes:
the 1500 timing gear is no flange inside or outside
aux gear has flange on outside

THAnks
Chris

Last edited:
it'll look nice too once your new filter arrives. i apologize I got hung up and couldn't get it out this weekend, so tomorrow morning its on the way and should be there Wednesday . Sorry

Take all the slack out of the forward facing side of the t/belt, then release & tighten the tensioner bolt.

Neutral safety? I thought all X's were sticks...

I'd check the ground straps on the head & trans.

I meant clutch switch
all grounds are in place
the belt creep worries me most and the long side of the belt seems a littel loose
it creeps toward the inside and is about 1/8" off the aux gear

I've noted that when properly tensioned (I.E. tensioner not on limits) the timing belt between the engine and the cam should be difficult to twist past 45 degrees rotation. It should twist to 45 pretty easily, but tighten up dramatically after that. I can't get 90 degree's (havn't tried). That's a pretty good indicator of proper tension (that's how I do my 944 timing belts). Others please chime in.

Not sure what "belt creep" is, but after a couple full rotations of the belt it should stay where it is. 1/8" off the gear is ok, as long as its not rubbing anything.

Try taking the spark plugs out and rotating the engine with the starter until a) oil pressure builds and b) fuel is coming out of the mechanical pump. It might take a good 20 seconds or so of cranking. Never start a new engine without first priming the oil pressure.

After getting it running prepare to break it in hard, bring it to temperature (using on and off throttle) then drive the hell out of it (again on and off throttle) to seat the rings :)

Take all the slack out of the forward facing side of the t/belt, then release & tighten the tensioner bolt.

Neutral safety? I thought all X's were sticks...

I'd check the ground straps on the head & trans.

If the engine is turning (cranking) the ground is connected.

when you say "shorting" the start, do you mean connecting power from battery terminal to the solenoid to make it turn? If it runs in that situation it means the engine has ground.

I guess double-check that the starter solenoid lead from the ignition is connected, if it is then check fuses.

New engine running! 1500 with singe DCNF 36

After chasing a few leaks the new engine runs pretty good. Test drive will have to wait until I get the axles in and struts bolted up.
It does have a big off idle stumble when throttle is depressed quickly
the carbs specs as follows:

mains 140
airs 165
F24 tubes
30 chokes
idle jets 50

Does anybody have experience jetting this single carb setup? We are running a 1500 engine with shaved head .065, 35-75 Delta cam, 4-1 header, ported custom Steve C. intake. I know how to get the dual DCNF setup in the ball park but not this single carb.

I still can't figure out why the engine won't crank at the ignition, I have to crank it at the starter, I did rewire the brown wire at the ignition, the Yugo electronic dizzy seens to work fine and I hooked up the wires to the Yugo coil just like they were on the old coil.

The other problem I have is the gas pedal will not get the carb to WOT my ball arm is at about 11 o'clock , I need an arm for the carb that is rotated counter clockwise maybe 15-20 degrees, anybody got one of those laying around??

OK got it cranking with brown ignition wire repair

Per Steve C.
I will try this carb setup:
28 chokes
200 airs
140 mains
50 idles
and maybe smaller acel pump squirter currently 40

Thanks

Back