New Engine Swap Idea

AKimball92

True Classic
The idea crossed my mind and I am sure it has passed through everyone's mind in the past week, at least to those who have heard the news. Then I found this:

http://autoweek.com/article/sema-show/5-cars-need-honda-civic-type-r-engine-swap

Civic TypeR crate engine available, 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque:

I know we all purchased the X1/9 because we have money trees growing in our well groomed back yards and that this crate engine doesn't double the value of the typical nice car in this forum. The idea would be nice though.

I wonder how much for the transmission or if anything out there would bolt up and handle the punch this thing packs.

The Civic R engine is a K20-based engine if I'm not mistaken, so not only has it passed through peoples minds, it's been done. The difference with this one is the turbo. That gives it the extra 80 or so hp the NA engine does not have. Actual fitment of this thing in an X engine bay, with the turbo and all the associated plumbing, is going to be the challenge here.

Supercharged K20 in an X has been done successfully. Simpler and far less plumbing.

Pete

The idea crossed my mind and I am sure it has passed through everyone's mind in the past week, at least to those who have heard the news. Then I found this:

http://autoweek.com/article/sema-show/5-cars-need-honda-civic-type-r-engine-swap

Civic TypeR crate engine available, 306 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque:

I know we all purchased the X1/9 because we have money trees growing in our well groomed back yards and that this crate engine doesn't double the value of the typical nice car in this forum. The idea would be nice though.

I wonder how much for the transmission or if anything out there would bolt up and handle the punch this thing packs.

Bloody hell. That's my mum's MX-5 in the first photo. What a small world...

The Civic R engine is a K20-based engine if I'm not mistaken, so not only has it passed through peoples minds, it's been done. The difference with this one is the turbo. That gives it the extra 80 or so hp the NA engine does not have. Actual fitment of this thing in an X engine bay, with the turbo and all the associated plumbing, is going to be the challenge here.

Supercharged K20 in an X has been done successfully. Simpler and far less plumbing.

Pete

Concur with Pete. My understanding is the 6 speed k20 trans will bolt on.

Back