New Member, New Employee at Midwest Bayless

Longitudinal

True Classic
Hi,

My name is Jonathan. I have extensive experience working with and modifying Audi Foxes, VW Dashers, VW Foxes and VW Quantums. My love for taking the obscure and neglected and using common sense and ingenuity to turn them into performance machines led me to apply at Midwest.

I just completed my first week at Midwest Bayless--spent it working on a deeply troubled Zagato and Thursday started working on learning the X1/9 by starting to assemble one out of parts left behind from another mechanic.

I like the cars. I like the company. I LIKE MY JOB. Look to hear more from me. I will be taking over fabrication work there, including engine swaps. I am also planning to throw myself fully into the job and buy an X for experimentation and modification. If I do this, the car will show up here as a project that I hope will lead to more options for making power, stopping fast and cornering hard for all X owners.

welcome to the xweb

Hello,
Glad too see a new face at midwest-bayless. Looks like you may be working on my X . Its been there since Oct waiting for some work to be done. You may have seen it around. Its orange/red and blue with a single 42DCNF weber on it.

You will Learn alot about our little X's here. They are really fun cars to drive and work on. Easy to work on with some basic know how. If you ever have any questions or thoughts. Just post them here. We love to help out. Don't for get to post pics! (we love pics!!!)

Have fun,
Dan Tohill

Welcome Jonathan

sounds like Matt has found the right man for the job!

Have fun with the Fiats, and yes, you definitely need an X project car! :)

What a great job to have

I envy you. Wrong place and much too late in life for me. May be next show.
Welcome to our little corner of fun.

Enjoy -

Welcome Jonathan, as we like to say here on Xweb - welcome to the dark side!!

i think you will find the similarities between the 8V sohc Golf engine and the Lampredi SOHC will make it an easy transition...

I'm sure Matt and Marnie will look after you.

SteveC

I just completed my first week at Midwest Bayless--spent it working on a deeply troubled Zagato and Thursday started working on learning the X1/9 by starting to assemble one out of parts left behind from another mechanic.

Wow. Coolest job ever! Congrats and welcome.

i think you will find the similarities between the 8V sohc Golf engine and the Lampredi SOHC will make it an easy transition...

X2 Both are probably the easiest motors in the world to work on and the prices for parts are in the same ball park +/- and cost of maintenance and operation is nearly identical! Welcome here

Hey Jon... A hearty Welcome...

I think yur gonna like it here...

Do let us know though... is it true what they say about Tom???

Welcome Jonathan,

You're working for a GREAT team.

Best way I learned about the X1/9, what it has and where everything goes, is to part a couple of them out.
Sometimes doing things in reverse sheds light on how things go back together. :)

Welcome to the best Car Web site on earth.

Jonathan, welcome into the family.

We look forward to seeing what you build, both in the shop and on your own (soon-to-be) X!

Best way I learned about the X1/9, what it has and where everything goes, is to part a couple of them out.
Sometimes doing things in reverse sheds light on how things go back together. :)

Reverse engineering. I like your style, Bob :thumbsup:

Welcome Jonathon

Welcome to Xweb Jonathon!! :)

We are happy to have you with us and look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

cool...Have I got a project idea for you

Imagine this --- an ecotec 2.0 turbo engine (Saturn Sky Redline engine) with an Ion or Cobalt transaxle, stuffed in an X1/9.

265 hp 285 ft/lbs of torque on pump gas sound good to anyone?

Shoot, tell ya what, I will even let you use my 78 for the project, AND I will be happy to do all the test driving and reporting back - for free.
Think about it and let me know..:):thumbsup:

BTW...Welcome to the affliction!

Tommy in AZ

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan

Welcome to Xweb, and congratulations on your new position at MB.

No doubt you will be doing some work on the maroon X that is currently undergoing the K20 conversion. That's my car, can't wait for it to be done. Take good care of her!

Pete

Welcome Jonathan...

It is a great place to work and the folks are awesome there but don't ask about me. Everything they say about me is false unless it is good stuff.

Tom already has you working on the Zagato? That's not going anywhere. Just part it out. :devil::hammer::dead:

Thank you all for the kinds words and the welcome. I truly do like my job, my employers and the X1/9. The cars have surprised me with a level of craftsmanship in the little touches that very well engineered German cars completely lack. I am glad to be here, glad to expand my knowledge and pleased to have a chance to use my skills to develop products to provide consumers with the power necessary to take advantage of the handling potential of the X1/9 chassis.

Mr. Tohill, I will indeed be working on your car. I like the scheme, by the way. Do you have family in Canal Fulton, OH? I have two Tohill friends there.

I will also be taking over the K20 swap, making some changes and will be working to help Matt kit out the K20 conversion for the DIYer. Let's just say I have some ideas. :)

I have been talking with Matt and Chris quite a bit about engine swap alternatives as well. I am excited about the new products I could develop and the variety of powertrain alternatives it would offer to X owners interested in doubling to quadrupling power and/or fuel economy.

Engine swapping and fabrication are right up my alley, so this is all very exciting to me!

I look forward to getting to know you all and meeting some of you when you come to pick up your cars.

Oh, and what exactly do they say about Tom?

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan

Looks like you're in the right environment for your enthusiasm and skill set. Our founder for the site, Mac, passed away recently. I'm sure he would have welcomed you enthusiastically as an eager new member of the wider exxy family.
Good luck in your career.:sun:

Back