I found the PDF for the 74-78 shop manual in the Wiki section. Scroll down to page 47 in the "Engine" section and you will find the t-belt instructions.

Another mark you can check for TDC is the flywheel. There is a veiw port in the top of the bell housing with timing marks. It can be hard to find the little dimple in the flywheel the first time, so set the crank marks at TDC and hopefully you can spot it and mark it. You can see the little dimple painted yellow here.
IM002985.JPG

First a warning, since you have a 78, you need to assume it has an interference engine. Timing belt changing is a little more complicated due to the need to watch the position of the cam and crank. I will try to find the 1300 specific belt procedure.

I have the old 1300 from my 78 on a stand and have a picture of the marks in question. Note: This is just a picture pointing out the marks and they are oriented where they existed when the engine was pulled, not at TDC.
View attachment 32271
Where is the crank pointing on the marks on the plastic belt cover?

Second, PB Blaster is your friend. Apply liberally the day before you intend to start wrenching. :)

I found the PDF for the 74-78 shop manual in the Wiki section. Scroll down to page 47 in the "Engine" section and you will find the t-belt instructions.

Another mark you can check for TDC is the flywheel. There is a veiw port in the top of the bell housing with timing marks. It can be hard to find the little dimple in the flywheel the first time, so set the crank marks at TDC and hopefully you can spot it and mark it. You can see the little dimple painted yellow here.
View attachment 32274
WAHOO!! Thanks so much Jim, I finally got it literally and figurative. Between the step by step instructions in the manual (thanks again) and the pic with the flywheel mark I was able to figure it out. So when I had the crankshaft at TDC the camshaft would be about 10 degrees or about 2 belt teeth off. While in this position I took the old belt and bearing off and then by hand rotated the camshaft pulley until the mark lined up with the mount mark. I then installed the new bearing and belt and slowly, carefully, and very cautiously turned the crankshaft 2 full turns feeling for any interference. No problems everything turned perfectly and smoothly and the rotor ended up at number 4 cylinder. Speaking of number 4 while I'm here I'm upgrading to a used Bosch electronic ignition system I purchased from MWB. I figured it was the one upgrade I could do to the 1300. Anyone that's done this care to share where they mounted the module and resistor or any afterthoughts would be appreciated. As to why the camshaft was out of timing? My only thoughts is maybe it slipped a couple teeth sometime? I have never gotten this car to run and until Thursday when the new water pump arrives ( a victim of the bolt breaking fest, I was using PB but it was one of those Oh I'll get that little coolant leak while I'm right here SNAP!) and I get it installed and try to start it I wont know for sure if the timing belt replacement was a success for sure but for now I'm calling it a win. Again Thanks Jim I couldn't have done it without your help, it's greatly appreciated.

I will try to help here, sorry in advance for the crappy pictures. :) I have been swapping a 1500/FI engine into my 78 for the last 9 years. I have many excuses, none of them great. So I have installed the electronic ignition parts onto a 78.

This is a picture of my 86X's pass side corner of the engine bay where most of the electronic ignition parts live. The position of the coil on the 86 is pretty close to the location found on the 78. The EIC control box goes in the side pod, the condenser is mounted to the engine cover hinge and the resistor mounts to the outside of the side pod. I think it might share the mount for the EIC box. There is a large hole in the pod wall to allow the EIC harness to pass thru to the engine bay. The harness has a large grommet to seal the hole.
IM001868.JPG

Here are a few pictures of the parts installed in the same corner on the 78's engine bay. You will need to make a couple holes IIRC for the EIC box mount. I stuck the "new" coil in the stock location on the 78, mounted the condenser to the hinge. Fitted the EIC box inside the pod and the resistor to the outside. The one thing I didn't do was drill the large hold for the EIC harness. In my 78 there was a U shaped opening at the top of the pod wall, so I just draped the EIC harness thru that gap. I may readdress that if I ever got off my ass and finish the project.

EIC into 78-1.JPGEIC into 78-2.JPGEIC into 78-3.JPG

Hope that helps. If not, we can try again.

That's perfect Jim, Thanks, I like the idea of only drilling 2 small holes for the mounting bolts and not dealing with the larger holes for the grommets especially in that corner where they are on the '86 maybe at another time, like when the engine is out, and the engine cover is off. I think I will make a little sheet metal cover for the module because of the open vented 1300 side covers. Maybe I'll try and incorporate it so the grommets fit in the holes in the cover but the wires are still draped thru the existing u shaped opening. Easier cutting holes on the cover before you bend and install it than in the engine bay. Your photos answered a lot of questions about the installation but I still can't figure out where I connect the other end of light blue wire. In the wiring diagram it shows connecting to a wire from the ignition switch. Is this an existing wire? Or do I run a new wire from the switch? As always Thank you

Fig 13.1.Electronic Ignition.JPG

I will tell you up front that I am not a wiring expert. My one skill in wiring is creating a nice harness fire. Take a look at this "Distributor" page in the Wiki. I am not sure how much help it will be, but near the bottom is a simplified wiring schematic. It shows the blue wire connecting to a pink wire from the harness. I went out to the 78 and unburied it to see if I could find it. I took a picture and noted my understanding of the blue wire's path it takes and what it connects to. I fished that pink wire up from below and hung it on that spark plug loom just to get the picture. I sure hoe that is the blue wire you are looking at. :)

Just FYI for the future. You would have done better to start a new thread in the Workshop forum asking for Electronic Ignition help. I think more people would be looking at it.
IMG_2044.JPG

I found a lot of dangling wires in my 78. I am really going to have fun when I finally decide to figure out where they all go. :(

Oooo we like finding the right homes for dangling bits ! Seriously we have all been there before just ask we are here to help you

Back