New Owner; A Couple of Questions

Gerald Pels

Low Mileage
Hi- I jumped into the Scorpion club last week purchasing Vin 1716. I hope to take delivery from out of state today or tomorrow. I am kind of a stickler for originality. I understand that this car has had the original manifold swapped out to accommodate the twin carb set up. So, one of the questions I have for the group is this. Does the car materially benefit from the twin carbs such that switching back to the original set up probably does not make sense? If that is the case, perhaps I'll jut seek to buy the original manifold and carb and keep in a box in the garage that I will likely forget about until I move.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Congratulations on joining the family!

The original car, as it came to the US, was extremely underpowered. When you combine that with the known brakes issues and a high purchase price, you can gain an understanding in why it was a failure here in the US. The Montecarlo was lighter in weight without the US required bumpers, packed more horsepower, and sat lower (which really helps with respect to handling.)

If you would like the spare parts to keep your Scorpion original, I would be happy to ship you mine which will only cost you the freight. I have several bumpers, stock headlights as well as the smog choked head. The fun part about these cars is that they provide a blank
Slate for your imagination and pocket book to explore.

The engine is basically the same as a 124 spider. Just switching to dual Webers without any other changes won't make any massive changes in power. You will feel a more responsive gas pedal and this makes the car feel more powerful. I have no actual experience with the Lancia but decades worth on spiders with dual carbs. Some of us do it just for the looks and the wonderful wail of dual carbs. But if your driving style is more cruising than imaginary rally racing you may be better off with a single carb.

Congratulations on joining the family!

The original car, as it came to the US, was extremely underpowered. When you combine that with the known brakes issues and a high purchase price, you can gain an understanding in why it was a failure here in the US. The Montecarlo was lighter in weight without the US required bumpers, packed more horsepower, and sat lower (which really helps with respect to handling.)

If you would like the spare parts to keep your Scorpion original, I would be happy to ship you mine which will only cost you the freight. I have several bumpers, stock headlights as well as the smog choked head. The fun part about these cars is that they provide a blank
Slate for your imagination and pocket book to explore.
Hi Dean-

Thanks a million for the insights and the offer on the parts. Could I take you up on the offer? Please let me know the shipping and how to pay and I will get after it. Are you sure you don't want some minor amount???? I'm happy to do so. Thanks again
-Gerry

To provide any real additional horsepower in additional to the dual carbs you'd also need performance cams, high compression pistons, matching exhaust system and perhaps head work.

Slapping back on the emissions choked original carb you'd need a bunch of the emissions components and convert back to a water choke. Instead you could swap a 34mm DMTR on the original manifold and get minor power advantage, simplicity and original appearance including being able to use factory air filter assembly if you wanted.

Hi Dean-

Thanks a million for the insights and the offer on the parts. Could I take you up on the offer? Please let me know the shipping and how to pay and I will get after it. Are you sure you don't want some minor amount???? I'm happy to do so. Thanks again
-Gerry
I sent you a pm

Back