New owner, new member......

Andrew Salathe

Low Mileage
fiatx191-1.jpg

Hello to all from Mount Dandenong, Victoria Australia.
Last weekend saw the long awaited arrival in the driveway of the 79 X I purchased back in October 09........... that has since been sitting in a friends shed getting odds and ends looked at, it had its maiden test driVe of 800 meters on Saturday, so let the fun begin. A few electrical issues to reslove then of to registration..
Thanks for the great resource of information and talent on the site , I will need all the help i can get.....
Cheers for Now
Andrew

Last edited:
Let the fun begin INDEED!

Welcome Andrew! You will not regret buying your X or being a part of this forum.

Welcome Andrew

Congrats on your new ride. You have come to the right place for support... and commiseration as well. ;)

Hi Andrew,

Great to see another aussie here. There's a few of us here but the more the better. I'm also new but in the short time I've been a member I've learnt so much from the guys here.

This is my X, a 1980 1300 with ATS alloys.

Fiat.jpg

Welcome to the 'Dark Side', Andrew...

We're here to help and looks like you have a solid car there...

Let us know when ya wanna get into some of the issues, electrical or otherwise... and post some more CLOSE UP fotos when ya have a chance.

I know Australia is a CONTNENT... so I don't know how close others are to ya... but ya have some great guys and great enthusiasts there... I'm sure they'll chime in.

Welcome mate, this is a great resource. Make sure you get that X running properly in time for the Fiat nationals in Janurary at Goulburn, its a good weekend :)

Thanks To all , yes I've been a long time guest reading in waiting for the X to arrive.
More Photos to come , then i will get stuck in to the electrics, as a land rover owner a well surely they cant be worse than Lucas :eek:mg:

Over all very happy with the purchase, started it again when i got home, the history is a little vague, i believe it was well loved by an older owner, then purchased by a younger owner that wanted a cruise vehicle by never got it of the ground, pick it up after being passed in on ebay a few times for a song and got it shipped down from Sydney to Melbourne. Have completed the basics thus far fluids brakes wheels and tyres and new windscreen.

January sounds like the perfect target! and a dam good drive up the Hume!

Yep it is a good drive. One year I drove my Alfa over to Melbourne from Adelaide, and then rode up the Hume with a mate in his 124CC. It was a great trip. If you've got the time to get off the Hume theres some really nice flowing back roads running most of the way too. Totally off topic and sorry to hijack, but here's some pics from the trip :)

15-CCoupe.jpg

14-Cruisinginthe124.jpg

Welcome Andrew

When you're ready for some very inexpensive electrical mods for your X1/9 that'll boost
the overall electrical system performance, give a holler.
Your car looks great. We all hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Post up some more photos when you get a chance. We'd love to see them.

To a pair of Mates Down Under

Andrew S: Congrats on your X, you are in good company when it comes to getting and keeping your X running. This forum helped me a lot.

Andrew C: That's the best looking 124 I've seen in a long time. It brings back memories of my red '72 Sport Coupe.

Hello and welcome

Andrew it's good to see a new member and a very nice X ! As you know these guys are great .

Welcome!

I joined last year when I was given my X1/9 - and this forum has provided an invaluable wealth of resources!

well between work and the weather, not a lot has been done since its been home, but it is good to see it there at the end of each day.

Got time for a bit of a tinker Sunday afternoon, managed to get the passenger side head light up...... not back down so a start and got the air filter off to discover the carb dripping onto the exhaust :eek:mg: so glad i didn't drive it home. A quick email to Matt at midwest, and a rebuilt carby and a few other bits will be on there way soon. Replaced all the fuses and relays so the electrical works begin looks like a BBrown brown wire Mod and headlight upgrade
More photos to follow

Gidday Andrew, I'm at Somerville on the peninsula. I have a '81 model I did a small makeover on last year. Got lots of help from this forum and Mad Matt and also Henk Martens for parts. Give BB a call for your electrical upgrades...................you wont believe how much better everything runs.
Lappy:sun:

Dash

Andrew,

Thanks for posting the picture of that CC dash.

30 years ago, when I was 20, I bought a 5-year old green 124 CC for $4250. It was a very flash car for a 20-year old to own back then. I drove it from Brisbane to Canberra and back a few times. It loved the "alpine" conditions when I lived in the ACT for two years and always got me home safely from the Tradies on auto pilot.

But the dash was the best part.

I remember a magazine ad from way back then (I think it was for the AC) that simply showed the dash with the tag line "A proper collection of round instruments". Remember, this was in the era of big, looooong rectangular speedos in Kingswoods.

There were a few quirks on the CC dash, weren't there? Wasn't there a knob somewhere that controlled the brightness of the green lights-on telltale lamp? And what was the story with the hand throttle under the steering column? I used to tell my mates it was cruise control.

Remind me what those two knobs are under the Acqua and Press Olio guages?

Regards,

Brian

There were a few quirks on the CC dash, weren't there? Wasn't there a knob somewhere that controlled the brightness of the green lights-on telltale lamp? And what was the story with the hand throttle under the steering column? I used to tell my mates it was cruise control.

Remind me what those two knobs are under the Acqua and Press Olio guages?

Regards,

Brian

My Fiat 1500 had that hand throttle as well. We also called it the cruise control. Great on the flat but not so good on the hills.

Norm

Round instruments

Referring to my recollection of the ad referring to round instruments, here it is...

Fiat2012420sport20coupe20Au20add.jpg

I just spotted it on turbo124.com

Regards,

Brian

Welcome to the forum Andrew.
Its always great to see another one being put back on the roads, you will thoroughly enjoy this car!

Have you noticed how these little cars have gone up in value over the last few years? the asking price seems to have doubled since I bought my first one.

I have one of those

My 124 Coupe also has one of those 'throttle' controls. It's a poor man's cruise control. Pull and twist to set. It's great on long trips, but keep an open eye on the road. Simply tapping the brake won't do...

Back