New owner - winterizing/seasonal maintenance

kareembadr

Daily Driver
As I await delivery on my X 1/9, I am starting to think ahead about what seasonal maintenance I will have to do (or have done) to the car.

What should I expect, beyond keeping the coolant/antifreeze full?

I live in Texas, and will store the car in my garage. Texas has had a nasty habit of reaching freezing temperatures at least once a year, and of course the summers are absolutely brutal. I plan on driving the car regularly (though not as a daily driver), so I don't anticipate the car sitting in the garage for long stretches without being driven...until a component fails and leaves me no choice.

Also, very newbie question, I am anticipating changing the oil maybe twice a year, given the low mileage I will be putting on it. Is that an unreasonable expectation?

Last edited:
As I await delivery on my X 1/9, I am starting to think ahead about what seasonal maintenance I will have to do (or have done) to the car.

I live in Texas, and will store the car in my garage. Texas has had a nasty habit of reaching freezing temperatures at least once a year, and of course the summers are absolutely brutal. I plan on driving the car regularly (though not as a daily driver), so I don't anticipate the car sitting in the garage for long stretches without being driven...until a component fails and leaves me no choice.

Also, very newbie question, I am anticipating changing the oil maybe twice a year, given the low mileage I will be putting on it, Is that an unreasonable expectation?
A matter of opinion, fur sure, but changing the oil twice a year seems excessive.

I would suggest, however, to drain the coolant and refill with fresh mix every two years. One of the concerns is the coolant pipes under the car. These are mild steel (and a royal pain to replace), so it is worth having healthy coolant with good corrosion inhibitors.

A matter of opinion, fur sure, but changing the oil twice a year seems excessive.
Yeah? Do you wait for the 3,000 mile mark to change the oil? Or is there some other timing/mileage you use for the Fiat?
I would suggest, however, to drain the coolant and refill with fresh mix every two years. One of the concerns is the coolant pipes under the car. These are mild steel (and a royal pain to replace), so it is worth having healthy coolant with good corrosion inhibitors.
Great advice! Thank you!

Also, very newbie question, I am anticipating changing the oil maybe twice a year, given the low mileage I will be putting on it. Is that an unreasonable expectation?
Kareem: Flush and bleed the brake and clutch reserviors every 2 or 3 years. One oil/filter change a year at the end of your driving season should be fine unless you drive way more than 3000 miles each summer. Feel free to drive it at least one half hour during the winter at least once every thirty days when the weather is clear.

Battery tender with a de-sufating mode. They are cheap and have meant my "fun car" batteries last >7 years.

Always remove the battery from the car when it sits for extended periods. Particularly when its on a charger lest it overcharge, I have seen some bad damage. I personally charge my batteries once a month over the winter, ensure it is fully charged when I take it out, charge it over the course of winter (4 months or so), my X1/9 battery was bought in 2016 and so far so good.

I use extended life coolant (5 year) but the 2-3 year guidance is a good recommendation for changing. Particularly if it sits for extended periods.

I disassemble my brakes once a year to clean and lube the caliper sliding surfaces, slippers and caliper mountingbracket. This will keep the brakes from pulling to one side. This takes me a couple of hours and allows me at the same time to verify the brake hoses, boots etc.

Karl. I love these kinds of conversations - really I do! :) It's fun to see the different approaches people take and their reasoning.

I like a low amp trickle charge with the battery in the car. Never had an issue, and some of my cars are a real PITA to remove the battery (C4 Corvette). I've had a battery get damaged by a bad voltage regulator - so I understand the damage of which you speak.

I have moved away from "long life" or "Dexcool" coolant. I found that it leached through the hoses on cars that sit for a month or more. Weird. All my cars now run the conventional green with no issues. I do check the PH annually (because my IDI diesel requires a supplemental coolant additive that needs to be maintained and I have the test strips readily available). And the V6 Alfas need the system drained at timing belt changes (30K miles or about a year and a half with my use rate)

Karl. I love these kinds of conversations - really I do! :) It's fun to see the different approaches people take and their reasoning.

I like a low amp trickle charge with the battery in the car. Never had an issue, and some of my cars are a real PITA to remove the battery (C4 Corvette). I've had a battery get damaged by a bad voltage regulator - so I understand the damage of which you speak.

I have moved away from "long life" or "Dexcool" coolant. I found that it leached through the hoses on cars that sit for a month or more. Weird. All my cars now run the conventional green with no issues. I do check the PH annually (because my IDI diesel requires a supplemental coolant additive that needs to be maintained and I have the test strips readily available). And the V6 Alfas need the system drained at timing belt changes (30K miles or about a year and a half with my use rate)
They do now make a ‘long life’ green, its intended life is 5 years.

Living in a place where it gets very cold, below zero, I worry about frozen batteries which I had happen once and so never again for me :)

Back