New shoes for the 85

Have you tried a thin wall 19mm spark plug socket?
I dont have a thin wall 19, so I have to get some type of new socket or switch to lug bolts with 17mm heads. I just happen to have a brand new set of 17mm chrome lug bolts, so I may go that way instead of buying a socket.

Follow up on the rubbing. I used a combo of tapping in the fender lip and the heat gun technique recommended by rx1900. That seems to have cleared up the issue, but I will listen for any recurrence.

Next task is to remove the long studs I have on the hubs and get shorter versions or just revert to lug bolts. Either way, I need to switch to fasteners with 17mm heads, my 19mm socket barely squeezes into the recess for the lugs. I probably should order some fancy soft sided wheel sockets too.

"Tuner" lug nuts. Slimmer, smaller OD. They come with the necessary socket, depending on whom you order from.

Yeah, count me on the ATS classics. They look fantastic. Not a fan of those 15"s. Would look much better on an Alfa Spider or GTV or something. Top picture makes me want to convert to black window trim and black door handles. Love it.

Yeah, count me on the ATS classics. They look fantastic. Not a fan of those 15"s. Would look much better on an Alfa Spider or GTV or something. Top picture makes me want to convert to black window trim and black door handles. Love it.
I agree. Black window trim and black door handles. This is my car in street trim
gimli1.jpg

And in race trim with silver ATS wheels. I don't think I need a second set unless they would be much wider...
mycar.jpg

I'm sorry to disagree. I understand the lack of street tires in 13 inches. I'm glad you like your new shoes but, to my taste, the ATS were some of the best wheels available and also period correct. I like them better in silver, so when I'm going to buy them from you, I will paint them silver. :cool:
Late night shopping on M-B website last night.
13x5 gotta love it !

E728F01C-6309-4ED6-8545-3F1B085AAEA7.jpeg

I need a single 13x6 in proper X back spacing. Well, want more than need really.

Nice rims, all of these fender mods suggestions are what I did. I also used a rubber mallet,
On the fender lip and the bottom up about 6”. It helped with my 175/ 70 13” s

You old guys are certainly stuck in your ways! :cool:

As an old guy I must have been taking a nap and missed this last year.
However, I am not adverse to wheels larger than 13" on an X, just wouldn't have put them on my long gone '85.
I did have a car with 30s on it and I really liked them...it was a 1909 Hupmobile.
And NO, I did not buy it new.

I like this 15" look more now than I did at the time I installed them last year. Even though I am an old guy now by Daniel's standard. :) All my other Xs are still rolling on 13s, I just wanted something different.
IMG_20201011_111429_01.jpg

Speaking as one of the older guys, I do not like 13" wheels on anything. 15" is the smallest I'll have on my X's or other vintage cars of that era. It's mostly about the style/look for me though. They just fill the wheel wells and overall appearance better.

However there was one instance when I actually mounted smaller than stock wheels. It was one of my earlier cars as a 13 year old, a Triumph TR4. It came with 15 steel wheels that were ugly, especially when alloy wheels were a new thing and all the rage. Unfortunately no one made a alloy wheel for that car back then. So the closest I could get was a 14" one from American Racing, intended for a Datsun Z if I recall correctly. But keep in mind low aspect ratio tires did not exist back then. So to also get wider tires it needed really big tires - which meant much taller. So a 14" diameter wide tire was the same height (circumference) as the stock 15's.

Speaking as one of the older guys, I do not like 13" wheels on anything. 15" is the smallest I'll have on my X's or other vintage cars of that era. It's mostly about the style/look for me though. They just fill the wheel wells and overall appearance better.

However there was one instance when I actually mounted smaller than stock wheels. It was one of my earlier cars as a 13 year old, a Triumph TR4. It came with 15 steel wheels that were ugly, especially when alloy wheels were a new thing and all the rage. Unfortunately no one made a alloy wheel for that car back then. So the closest I could get was a 14" one from American Racing, intended for a Datsun Z if I recall correctly. But keep in mind low aspect ratio tires did not exist back then. So to also get wider tires it needed really big tires - which meant much taller. So a 14" diameter wide tire was the same height (circumference) as the stock 15's.
Anything bigger than 13” looks weird on a mini.
13” in the picture
DCF10770-F528-4EBA-9F31-DA3F63F4FD2B.jpeg

Anything bigger than 13” looks weird on a mini.
13” in the picture View attachment 47806
I have to agree, that might be one exception. ;) But it's not just due to the small size of the car. It is mostly due to its style, design, proportions, etc. There are other cars that are just as small that look better with bigger wheels.

I am fine with 13, 14 or 15” rims. Its all good as long as the wheels fit inside the wheel wells, the camber isn’t negative eleventy billion and the tires are not thin ribbons of black.

There are particular wheels I prefer over others but all in all, its your car, do with it what you will. If you like it and love it, drive on.

Back