New stock steering wheel...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Got a stock steering wheel from Jeff Stich and installed it today after sanding and repainting the worn and chipped spokes. I'm trying it out to see if I like it. I dig the groovy spoke design myself.

I may have to thicken up the rim with a leather cover or something. The momo wheel that came with the car to me is bigger around and thicker.

IMG_2195_zps45d85eaa.jpg

I have always liked that wheel. I have always thought it would look just as nice in an X :)

It certainly looks nice in a Scorpion, particularly yours :)

The 4-spoke X wheel is similarly styled, but with more spokes. Two spokes takes some getting used to. As does the thin rim and longer distance from the driver (me). The old momo had an adapter that moved the wheel about 2" closer to the driver, so this is another change to get used to.

A local enthusiast has offered me a leather cover that might help with the rim thinness. We'll see.

I'm trying it out to see if I like it. I dig the groovy spoke design myself.

Yeah, I had that same feeling, too. :wink2:

This wheel looks MUCH better in your Scorpion than it would have in my 128. I knew it would - but it took quite a lot of back-&-forth in deciding before I could finally put it up for sale! :nod:

And IMO it's a far better-looking wheel than the 4-spoke Momo you had before! (Sorry, but that thing just looked out of place).

I have to agree with Jeff

The stock wheel looks a lot better, cleaner. I love Momo wheels but your new stock wheel looks a lot nicer.

Ummm, yeah from a looks standpoint the OEM wheel is head and shoulders better than the four spoke wheel.

Personally I have never liked the anatomic type wheels, preferring instead a true round section toroidal shape. Passing the wheel from hand to hand to me is much more comfortable and less awkward to me without the "home" position. I know I am not likely among the majority on this :)

Back