New Sunvisor hinges!

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
The new sunvisors from Henk are nice, but a little thick. While trying to install mine, I realized that they were so thick that they would not fold up tightly against the headliner like the old thin ones because the hinges are too short to allow them to compress against the windshield frame and rubber targa gasket area. As is, they stick out horizontally and are in danger of hitting your forehead. I ended up snapping one hinge the first time I tried to fold the passenger side up. Also, I like the original tightening screw and corner trim, so I decided to reuse those rather than the odd stainless bands supplied with the new visors.

So after looking at the hinge design, I decided that a hinge that dropped down about a centimeter (finger width actually) would provide the necessary clearance. Then looking at the old hinge I realized that it would be easy to fab up one in aluminum stock easily since it is just an angle piece with a pivot on the end. After making up a couple of cardboard prototypes, here is what I came up with. Anyone should be able to do the same. It is not difficult, just tedious and requires careful craftsmanship with hand tools. The whole thing is easier to do than to explain. Lots of filing with a hand file to get nice rounded edges. Then some metal polish to bling them up, or you could just paint them the color of the originals. These are not going to break, so that ham-handed friend is not going to snap them off the first time they try to fold up the visor. Better than 30 year-old plastic.

The basic idea is to cut a thick piece of aluminum flat stock as shown. Then bend the aluminum at the appropriate place for a nice centimeter more stand-off from the windshield frame, and then drill holes and attach a pivot to the ends. The devil is in the details. For the pivots, I used two M5 button-head screws carefully threaded into a hole drilled at the appropriate place. The button-head screws provide a nice finished appearance. Because the aluminum is soft, the steel screws will self-thread if done carefully and the hole is just a little smaller than the screw threads. And they jam tightly once screwed all the way, so there is no problem with the screw turning with the visor. M5s are just the right size to replace the stock hinge pivot.

Here is the driver's side before making new hinges. The visor will not go all the way up and the visor sticks out horizontally. And the plastic hinge brackets are stressed.

The Henk sunvisors are a little wider at the hinge, so the key is to made a cardboard template with the exact windshield frame attachment hole locations as a reference for drilling the exact location of the mounting screw holes in the mounting tabs once the hinges are mounted to the sunvisor. A grinder burr bit makes the countersink in these holes for the countersunk screws that attach to the windshield frame. Use the old mounts to determine how long to make the mounting tabs once the hinges are all fabbed up as there is limited clearance on the outboard hinge where it abutts the targa clamp bracket.

The shape that you will need to cut in a piece of aluminum flat stock. I started with a piece of aluminum like the ones you can find in the metal section of the big box hardware store.

Here is the aluminum stock cut to shape.

Clamp these together and start filing to get a nice clean shape on both and to make them exactly the same, and to remove any imperfections. Then, with them still clamped together, drill the holes for the two M5 screws. Go carefully, stepping up the drill bits until the holes are just tight for the screws.

Here is the finished product.

And attached to the visor

Make up a template like this to locate the tab mounting screw holes. The holes have already been drilled in the picture above using this template.

And here is the visor mounted and properly folded up to the headliner.

Now the visors set flat against the headliner.

Larry,
Great job :thumbsup:

I have also Henk Sun visors and I observe exactly the same thing.... but now I have a solution:dance:

Thanks Larry

Thanks for this

I have a set of Henk's visors on the shelf. I will make some of these then the time comes to put them in. It avoids the frustration of putting them in and the realizing that I need to do some fabrication, perhaps after I have broken the originals.

Paul Davock

Excellent work, thanks for posting!

I will be duplicating this as soon as possible. I have the Henks visors and while they are a quality piece, their integration and fitment into the car leaves something to be desired.

I have had problems with the visors not staying up, and thought about going back to the original stainless pieces that grab the hinge rod. If you could post up some pics of anything that needs doing to accomplish that, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again and good work.

Pete

Pete, there is no trick to using the old hardware

So I am not sure why Henk made the new arrangement. Maybe on some the tensioner thingy doesn't work so well. All I did was a little filing on the locations shown below to ensure that the tensioner could get a good closure. Other than that, they fitted right where they should, no new holes requires or anything.

The old tensioner is sure a lot easier to tighten once it is mounted on the windshield frame. You do need to crank down on them though. Maybe it's not good for the leather and cuts into it or something. WE will see.

Just installed mine from Henk tonight

Installed the new hinges I received from Henk on the driver's side. Photos below -- quality isn't great because it's dark/winter here and my garage lighting is poor :(. Here's what I like:
- They're metal and likely much stronger than the OEM plastic mounts.
- They definitely position the thicker visors at a better angle.

Here's what I don't like:
- The overall shape and finish look "bulky" and unrefined. I think Larry's look a little better so I might be able to file and polish mine a bit to improve that.
- These hinges have a larger gap between the visor and mount points. See below. I also placed them alongside the originals and the gap is definitely greater. Henk -- you may want to tweak your design to make each gap approx 1/8" narrower in future production runs.

OEM hinges with padded visor:

New hinges with padded visor:

OEM hinge photo showing small gap between hinge and visor:

New hinge photo showing larger gap between hinge and visor:

New and old hinges side-by-side lined-up by mounting holes. Gap is larger on new hinges between mounting areas. Looks like they're a little bent as well (perhaps during transit/postage? I didn't bend them). Can probably fix this:

I tend to agree with you on all points...

I dunno what the cost was but I don't see the purpose as to why the new ones were made to "extend" the visors out and down further.

I'm thinking now that since the visors were OEM padded, they also aided in protecting your head from hitting the hard edge of the top.

(My wife suffered a very bad injury in a collision with my car when she T-boned an Accord. She had the visor down and seatbelt on... but somehow the belt retract-or either didn't lock or she shifted enough to hit her head on the edge of the top. Knocked her out completely...)

Anyway, I digress... Maybe the factory made the plastic hinges as a break-away item as well. Those new aluminum ones with their taller length do look a bit intimidating.

If that really isn't a safety issue though... and if they were mine, I think I would clean them up a bit with a grinder and wire wheel and then spray them a TRIM BLACK to kinda make them hide a bit and also to look a bit more professional.

Going a step further, I see the axles are actually bolted-in... and I'd probably re-size the brackets to match OEM, re-drill and reassemble.

Henk might wanna consider asking his supplier to do the same...

As noted the Henk sunvisors are much thicker

They are extremely well made, soft leather, and a good match for most X 1/9 interior colors. However, they are thick. As a result they will not fold up against the roof like the originals and you ram you forehed into them getting in and out. A 1 cm drop is required on the hinge to give them the necessary room to fold up flat against the roof. The hinges are no more of a hazard than the originals, as they are buried behind some thickly padded sunvisors, and they are down less than a cm or so.
The key with the aluminum ones is to file the edges smooth, then sandpaper the whole thing, and finally polish them with some good metal polish. That is what I did on the ones up there in my original post. Or, like I said, you could paint them dark brown like the originals.

As far as safety, keep in mind that the originals are plastic. Not knocking anyones effort here at all. These things look real nice. Couldnt you just put a spacer behind the old mount?

I haven't seen the new leather ones...

and indeed these do appear to be a non-stock visor. I hadn't looked that close at the visor itself.

I can now understand why the mounts were made differently to clear them, but in the fotos at least, it appears there is much more clearance than actually necessary.

Back