New to Virginia

engelme

True Classic
Hi guys,
I haven’t posted in quite some time. I’ve made a big change in my life. After spending the last 8 years in Utah, I’ve moved to Charlottesville, VA to become the new Chief of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at the University of Virginia and the Emily Couric Cancer Center. It’s an amazing opportunity for me and I’m really excited to be serving the children of Virginia. I’ve been there for about 3 weeks now and am trying to learn as much as I can about my new home. That includes the car scene. I hoping folks here who live in the area can tell me about clubs and gatherings, interesting drives, shops that can work on our cars, and anything else relevant to owning legacy Fiats an Alfas in the region. I’m also looking for storage options, as for the next 18 months I’m living in a townhouse with only a one car garage. Any info will be appreciated. Cheers.

Welcome back and congratulations, that's one impressive title, long, but impressive.
Charlottesville is a very nice place, until a few years ago a large supplier of Italian car parts was based there, International Auto. As far as I know they are gone now but I'll bet there are still some active Italian car owners around. Sorry about your living situation, suxs I know, BTDT several times. Good luck hooking up with local enthusiasts, this is a good place to reach out from.

DCfiats.org is the DC area Fiat club and there are members down in C'ville. Be careful of the UVA cult! My youngest daughter went there as did my brother (I live in northern Virginia) and apparently if you get your degree there you cease talking about anything but how wonderful UVA is and how C'ville is the most perfect town in the USA. Also, the main route between UVA an northern VA and DC area is rt 29 and is a 1.5 hour long speedtrap.

Can't help ya much in regards to the car scene. I did spent a few years in Williamsburg growing up as a kid. I still remember Jamestown, Yorktown, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia beach... Good times for sure.

I wonder if Jim Aitken is on this website? He lives in Charlottesville and was president of FLU when the club was for historic Fiats. He has done many events in the area. Find Ruth road and have some fun.

I end up in Charlottesville about twice a month visiting my daughter and granddaughter. Glad to meet up at some point.

Hey Todd,
So funny that you mentioned Jim's name. I was at a meet and greet last week as part of my new job, and while the host and I were talking cars, he mentioned that I need to meet one of his former clients....Jim Aitken. I emailed Jim over the weekend and am hoping he will reply. I understand that he's retired, so probably not on email too much. But if so it would be a hoot to meet him. Such a small world! Thanks so much for the recommendation...and the coincidence. Cheers.
Mike

Jim now works for W.E. Brown. He currently only have a 74 spider, hurt doing the Charlottesville wine tour in October, but he is looking at another X1/9 he might buy for his "son". TJ lives in CA but the car will be kept in Charlottesville.

Two items that might interest you. DCFiats has it's annual New Year's Day X1/9 drive starting near Purcerville, VA and ending Gaithersburg, MD. Full details will be on the DCFiats website shortly. Second item is I will be in Charlottesville Saturday to Tuesday with nothing to do most of Sunday or Monday. No X1/9 on this trip.

Todd, you forgot to mention the invitation only Charlottesville wine tour annual event. Used to be an open event but after I showed up in a bright yellow Brava wagon (which broke out in a purple rash while eating breakfast there), they decided to make it a secret invitation only event. But don't worry, they will be glad to embrace any local with an Italian car.

yellow brava cropped.jpg

Yea, that's my baby, I loved it, but it handled like a dumpster on all those country roads, then some moron in a Lancia complained I was smoking too much out the tail pipe for his comfort behind me...I think my mental answer was "then don't drive behind me, dummy" but pretty sure I didn't actually say that, those Lancia guys can be pretty sensitive.

Not really FIAT related, but Moss Motors has their east coast facility over near Richmond/Petersburg. They specialize in British cars and now Miatas, but it's a great place to visit for their annual open house event. I lived in Virginia Beach up to a year ago, always enjoyed visiting Charlottesville

Back