New to Virginia

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by engelme, Nov 25, 2018.

1. engelme

engelme True Classic

Hi guys,
    I haven’t posted in quite some time. I’ve made a big change in my life. After spending the last 8 years in Utah, I’ve moved to Charlottesville, VA to become the new Chief of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at the University of Virginia and the Emily Couric Cancer Center. It’s an amazing opportunity for me and I’m really excited to be serving the children of Virginia. I’ve been there for about 3 weeks now and am trying to learn as much as I can about my new home. That includes the car scene. I hoping folks here who live in the area can tell me about clubs and gatherings, interesting drives, shops that can work on our cars, and anything else relevant to owning legacy Fiats an Alfas in the region. I’m also looking for storage options, as for the next 18 months I’m living in a townhouse with only a one car garage. Any info will be appreciated. Cheers.

Waterbury and JimD like this.
  2. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Welcome back and congratulations, that's one impressive title, long, but impressive.
    Charlottesville is a very nice place, until a few years ago a large supplier of Italian car parts was based there, International Auto. As far as I know they are gone now but I'll bet there are still some active Italian car owners around. Sorry about your living situation, suxs I know, BTDT several times. Good luck hooking up with local enthusiasts, this is a good place to reach out from.

3. carl

carl True Classic

DCfiats.org is the DC area Fiat club and there are members down in C'ville. Be careful of the UVA cult! My youngest daughter went there as did my brother (I live in northern Virginia) and apparently if you get your degree there you cease talking about anything but how wonderful UVA is and how C'ville is the most perfect town in the USA. Also, the main route between UVA an northern VA and DC area is rt 29 and is a 1.5 hour long speedtrap.

4. stingray250

stingray250 True Classic

Can't help ya much in regards to the car scene. I did spent a few years in Williamsburg growing up as a kid. I still remember Jamestown, Yorktown, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia beach... Good times for sure.

5. toddr124

toddr124 Hagerstown, MD

I wonder if Jim Aitken is on this website? He lives in Charlottesville and was president of FLU when the club was for historic Fiats. He has done many events in the area. Find Ruth road and have some fun.

I end up in Charlottesville about twice a month visiting my daughter and granddaughter. Glad to meet up at some point.