New Tools Tuesday at Harbor Freight. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Hmmm.....

actually looks like a pretty nifty device but I have no experience with one. You would have to compare it to a known accurate torque wrench.

actually looks like a pretty nifty device but I have no experience with one. You would have to compare it to a known accurate torque wrench.
Just noticed it hasn't even been released to the stores yet - I guess I'm on an early-warning list from HF.

I got the email on these today & I may need to pick 1 up. HF is great for the tools you need, but won't use everyday. I've had mixed luck, but if you stay away for the extreme cheapo stuff, they've been OK.

Digital torque attachment. Make any ratchet a torque wrench. Sounds great, but...what's the downside?

I've had one for a couple of years and it is working fine and is easy to set/use. Mine has a range of 2-200Nm and is very precise. It makes the "noise" as well as shows the actual torque. My came with different adapters so 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4" ratchets fits. The downside is that it is adding about 40mm of height to the ratchet

I got that also. Looks like the 3/8 & 1/2 drive together would be a practical range for most "normal" shop work. Checking the usual fare on Amazon, it looks like there are a million flavors that all have the same spec range...and HF's price is actually competitive. I figured this was just a way that the home mechanic could see the exact point where hardware failed, but I was told by friends that it's a pretty handy tool. I might have to pick one up...or two.

Oh yeah. I got one of those for ~$20 at a local tool shed a few years back. It works fantastically, and gives a nice warning when approaching selected torque- saves quite a bit of time if used properly.

I occasionally double it up with my Tekton torque wrenches to verify accuracy, and it's always spot on. Pretty impressive imo.

I would like to mention that the precision of +/- 2% for this torque adapter is very good. Most click type torque wrenches have a precision of +/- 4% and this being a digital adapter the precision of +/- 2% is going to give you better accuracy than if you use a click type torque wrench.

I going to have to get one of these for myself as well for a Christmas present it seems! Thanks for mentioning it to us tvmaster.

George

Back