New Two Tone Interior/Scorpion

allansieben

X1/9 Time
Hello fellow enthusiasts. I picked up a decent Scorpion donar car on the weekend (#77 in Prod). Just wanted to show you my transformed interior. I found the all black a little over bearing. This kinda breaks it up I think. Comments? Allan
BTW Thats very real supple leather! I got lucky on this one!

I favor black, but

what you've done here looks quite nice. It's what YOU like that counts anyway, but it does look very nice.

All black interiors were not an option in Scorpions, must have been redyed at some point. Most were dk brown dash & 'buckskin' seats/door panels and tan carpet. There were also the 'color matched' interiors on the blue and some red cars - I find those too vivid to live with on a daily basis.

Personally I would like the light seats better if the door panels were to pick up some of the color as well and make the seats appear more integrated. Maybe all surfaces below the dash pad?

Just my opinion, the seats do look nicely done! You will have fun with this car.

Allan...

My X currently has an all Black interior and especially in an open car... I too have tired of all the DUST and fading that has occurred over the years.

I've refreshed much of it and this weekend should have a pair of NEW (to me) BLUE seats to install, thanks to Glen Egen and Rudy Mortero transporting them.

I think they too will make the interior come alive, much like the BONE colored leather has done to your Scorp. But I also have to agree with other statements made, and one I will attempt also... and that is to carry that color theme to a few other points elsewhere.

If you did the door panels in Bone, then the seats would no longer POP. But Bone colored armrests just may be the ticket. You could even use a Duplicolor dye and refresh them every so often if covering them or finding others is a problem. I'm considering doing just that myself.

(I remember Rudy's Alfa had an ALL BLACK interior except that the carpet was BRIGHT RED! My first impression was that it was all wrong... and then I just loved it, as it SET OFF, and SEPARATED the door panels and dash and seats... It all took a matter of seconds to change my mind!)

Additionally, I'm gonna borrow from the somewhat current trend of adding a pinstripe to the exterior that reflects the seat color. I find this on many NEW cars... and think it will further "bring home" and incorporate the Blue seats into my car. You may wanna consider the same.

LASTLY... just for giggles... pull the seats outta the Scorp and install them in your X... take a few photos and post them here. I bet you'll have a hard time putting them back!

HA!

Tony he will have a hard time putting them back because you must be a contortionist to put the back into the Scorpion. It is very difficult. Ask anyone who has installed the Scorpion seats. I know how to do it and I will take that info to the grave. You would have to pay me to put them in again...:wink2::fart:

Yes, once you know the trick the rear seat cusions are really pretty easy. The seat bottoms have their own unique mounting method (little rubber wedges in metal loops protruding out of the front of the seat pan - most of the wedges are long lost by now), and most people get stuck trying to remove the seats from the floorpan (you have to pull the seat bottom, unbolt the seat 'pan' from the rails, then the rails from the car).

Not sure about using them in an X. The seats sit higher than X's (at least the earlier ones) and the seats don't flip forward, so getting to your spare area would be tough. Also, the seats are HEAVY!!!! And there are better fitting seats available. If someone is really interested in a set, I could probably scrounge up a set that need to be recovered.

don't use scorpion seats

They're heavy, and the rear seatbacks *all* break. And the bathandles for the incline adjust break, because people pull-up on them thinking this is the fore-aft adjust.

I only kept mine to keep the car "original" - I would never recommend Scorpion seats for anything other than a Scorpion. They're ****e. :(

Looks great

Nice contrast with the dark interior and you did up the console and shift boot - a rebirth of the car. Black does seem a bit drab for a scorpion. Mine is red but a dated red at that. If and when I get to the restoration I think a good wrapping in red leather should finish it off. Enjoy!!

And thanks for the seat removal hints..

Well... I said "just for giggles"...

... Meaning just to see what they would look like.

I had no idea they did not fold or were so heavy...

I think their overall styling though would "compliment" an X1/9 regardless...

Anyway...

Those Scorpion Seats!!!

Actually, I find those Scorpion seats to be of a brilliant design! It takes all of about 45 minutes (or less), to swap out the 3 piece seat set. Seat cushion,back rest,and head rest all detach with ease leaving the grey hard plastic frame exposed. Its kinda nice to have the option to "play with" the interior at will.
What I like about the new colour contrast, is how it "pulls" the interior out and highlites the intricate details of the seat frames themselves. Before,when you would walk by the car, all you would see is a black black black!!! Now, there is contrast! Only problem now, is that these early seat cushions, DO SIT HIGHER!!!:eyepop::help:
It will be an adjustment for me, as my head already sticks out the top, and there is no short supply of people pointing and laughing as I drive by:(. But I can take it!!! Cause what they don't know, is the amount of fun I'm having ripping up the streets of Abbotsford in a car most people don't know anything about!
Anyways, I am satisfied with the conversion. Thanks for your comments and insight! Allan

Well... I can only think of TWO surgical...

... procedures that MIGHT work, bu neither are very appealing.

Perhaps you could actually remove a lower cushion, unwrap the uphostery, and remove an inch of foam or so... and then re-wrap it.

Worth considering...

This is why when I had the Leather redone in my red car I went with a Color that is used in the Bently contenental.. I liked the contrast. The seats were originally the bone color of the the doors. So I had the seats and the door handles done in the same color.. Expensive but very nice... watch the video...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEcbfRHYOJQ"]YouTube- 76 Lancia Scorpion[/ame]

Back