New X owner, what are the essential tools?

Zona

Jase
Well I'm going to being doing a lot of work on my "new" X can you guys give me a list of the essential tools I'll be needing, my current collection is a little sparse and I see myself spending more on tools to work on my car than on the car itself.

Tools

2 sets of metric wrenches. (primary tools!) up to 25mm.
There are a couple larger that you might need but they'll be sockets.
Also, a single metric socket set up to 25mm.

A floor jack.
Jack stands.
A dremel tool with cutting wheels
An oxy-acetylene torch. (5-lb cylinders would be OK for small jobs)
The usual set of screwdrivers.
A Hammer.
Pliers.

This will get you started.

Congratulations! Traditionally you make the announcement in the discussion forum and post lots of pics of the new baby!

Start with a can of PB Blaster, patience, and perseverance and your off to a great start. Not to mention a service manual.

Links to the online shop manuals

Well I'm going to being doing a lot of work on my "new" X can you guys give me a list of the essential tools I'll be needing, my current collection is a little sparse and I see myself spending more on tools to work on my car than on the car itself.

Just in case you haven't book marked themn yet, here are the online manual links.

Damon's site: http://www.midwesternmedicalmachine.com/~damonfg/X_FSM/FSM_index.html

Rudy's site: http://socalx.com/xhelp/shopmanual.htm

other random tools for specific jobs

metric allen set and a quality extra 6mm hardened steel allen if you do any drivelines. wire brushes are handy. 8mm socket or nut driver needed for random small cover screws.

38mm socket for crank (impact wrench required also)

GOOD metric flare wrench set for hydralics, a cheap set will only cause more issues. pb blaster...

and most important tool needed would be reliable multimeter.

contortionists hands that can work with your eyes shut, allot of the time your working on something you can't even see...
This seems to be my greatest asset when working on my Fiat.

The patience ofa SAINT!!!

Sometimes, you need the patience ofa saint!!! I took the seats out of FiFi. They were jammed and wouldn't move ontha tracks. Boy, were they gummed up!!! Now, (after hours of prying cussing, and violent yelling), thery SLIDE, EASILY!!! I don't know how many times I have tried to fix the window mechanism!!! It STILL doesn't run smoothly!!! But, I will persist!!! It WILL work.
You need PERSISTANCE!!!
But,,,the reward is the drive, up and back down the road!!!
Count Jack, in Almond, Wisconsin

FiFi! I called my car that a couple of times and my wife and daughter told me that under no circumstances was I to call it that. Talk about an emotional response! Been calling it Nuccio lately, at least I can remember that as it's on the dashboard.

HA... I agree with everything mentioned, except...

... in the 27 years I've owned my X1/9, I have never needed an Oxy/Acetyline rig...

And if Bob has ever use one on HIS car, I'd like to know where and for what. HA!

I'm sure others may have... but if Bob has used one it was probably for cutting parts off a donor car! HAHAHA!

I too would recommend some basic hand tools and jacks and as the years go by, you'll pick up the things you really do need and then again many, many others that you really DON'T need... but are fun to have!

That's what birthdays and holidays are really for!

Oxy/Acetyline

... in the 27 years I've owned my X1/9, I have never needed an Oxy/Acetyline rig...
That's because:
A: You're using your neighbor's ;) or
B: You leave exhaust work for someone else. :grin:
But I think you've never had to work on your exhaust because there's no rain in sunny CA! Ha!

And if Bob has ever use one on HIS car, I'd like to know where and for what. HA!
I actually did... on my exhaust. I didn't want to break anything, so I used it to separate the exhaust from the Cat.

I'm sure others may have... but if Bob has used one it was probably for cutting parts off a donor car! HAHAHA!
Yes! 3 donor cars so far....

I too would recommend some basic hand tools and jacks and as the years go by, you'll pick up the things you really do need and then again many, many others that you really DON'T need... but are fun to have!
I think the handiest thing you could have is to live somewhere in the vicinity of (say?) Santa Clarita? :D

All in fun...

Only tools I need

1. Cell phone with other Fiat owners phone numbers.

2. Beer in the refrigerator.

3. Pizza shop that delivers.

4. a good opening line when you use #1.

I've always thought...

... that the books you have are probably more important than the tools. I would recommend a factory manual for you year, a Haynes (from the UK I think) manual, and if your car is injected some information on the Bosch L-Jet system.

F.I. info can be found online, or even at the library. Some libraries even have auto repair manuals like the Hayne's books available.

Some other handy tools: 12v test light, 5 or 6-in-1 screwdriver, liquid wrench. When selecting a metric socket set, look for 6 point sockets rather than 12 point, to reduce the chances of rounding of nuts and bolt heads. A 3/8" torque wrench that goes to 80# or so is handy, but you can get away without it using common sense except for things like head gaskets.

For FI cars, wasn't there a resistor that he needed

to keep on hand in case a certain sensor went out? I forgot what that was.

Well the car comes with a few manuals, not sure which ones since I bought the car but haven't picked it up yet (that will be tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure one of them was a haynes manual. So far all of the tools mentioned I have or can borrow except for the oxy/acetyline but my best friend works in a steel plant so I'm sure he could hook me up if need be. BTW what made them decide to put the spark plugs on the far side of the engine? Looks like it's going to be a pain changing them.

It's on that side cuz...

Well the car comes with a few manuals, not sure which ones since I bought the car but haven't picked it up yet (that will be tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure one of them was a haynes manual. So far all of the tools mentioned I have or can borrow except for the oxy/acetyline but my best friend works in a steel plant so I'm sure he could hook me up if need be. BTW what made them decide to put the spark plugs on the far side of the engine? Looks like it's going to be a pain changing them.

Then engine/transmission package was originally used on a FWD platform (the 128, I think). That would put them at the front of the engine where they belong.

Pete

A picture is worth a thousand words. :sun:

0520000622.jpg

WELCOME!

Post Pics of your new X! :grin:

Then engine/transmission package was originally used on a FWD platform (the 128, I think). That would put them at the front of the engine where they belong.

Pete

Which explains why "FIAT" on the intake is facing the wrong way :rolleyes2:

Back