New X1/9 owner

Welcome Paul. Looks like a nice car. Can't wait to see more pictures.

I too have an AW11.

0531161724.jpg

Welcome Paul. Looks like a nice car. Can't wait to see more pictures.

I too have an AW11.
That looks like a very nice aw11! 85/86? I spy a GRM sticker on the side of it as well. I am a frequent visitor to the forums over there as well. I hardly ever post anything though. Here is a picture of our AW11. It was a 1 owner car that I bought in Atlanta and drove all the way back to wisconsin. It is very badly sun damaged, but there is hardly any rust on it at all. Only some minor surface rust on the front lip and the trunk floor rusted due to a water leak while it sat outside. I plan on fully rebuilding the engine and transmission this winter to fix all the fluid leaks on it. I will also be repainting it sometime soon as well. Though the Fiat will be pushing that down the priority list.
IMG-20210622-WA0007.jpg

Rust free Georgia car! Sweet.

Yes, you see a GRM sticker on it, both actually. I have had an association with GRM since they started. I was their first "Pro Driver" at the GRM $20XX Challenge and have continued driving at that event for them since 2003.

The two cars in that photo represent 6 SCCA National Championships. :)

PeruTour3.jpg

shoelscher-1.jpg

Welcome! Nice pick up for the cash outlay. I picked up an 81 about 6 years ago and although the body and engine were in good shape I needed to go though all of the systems and the paint was in bad shape. I paid $2750 for it. In my eyes you got a great deal from what I can tell

Hello! My name is Paul, and am am very excited to have found this forum. I just purchased a new to me X1/9 this weekend sight unseen. I still have not seen it in person but I was able to have a friend go check it out and make the payment for me. I will be picking it up next week Saturday and am excitedly counting down the days.

Here are a few pictures that I have of the car. I will get more posted once I have it in my possession.
View attachment 53424View attachment 53425View attachment 53426

From what I've learned about the car so far, it's a1982 5-speed, 2 owner car that was last purchased in 1987 with 45,000 miles on it by a collector. They did some maintenance to it and drove it a little bit, but it's only had another ~4,000 miles put on it since 1987. I plan on going over everything before even attempting to start the car. My friend did say that all the rubber parts looked to be in good condition so hopefully the collector did maintenance to it even while it was just sitting. I don't have any pictures on my phone of the interior or engine bay but they look to be in excellent condition. My friend said that the underside of the car had little to no rust and the shock towers are completely rust free. I'm sure I'll find some rust hidden around the car but hopefully it will be minor since the car was stored inside for most of its life.
I am so excited to get this car! I currently have an AW11 MR2 and this will make a good addition to the family. I find it hard to believe that I was able to pick up this car for only $2200! The guy had a long list of people offering even above asking price but I had managed to be first in line and he was the type of seller to honor the first come first served type of deal.
I've already spent hours reading up on the wiki and the forum here. This is one of the best forums I've ever experienced for my cars. I'm so happy that it's still in use and not all gone over to Facebook like many other groups.
Welcome to the nut house! Nice find! Good luck with the car. You're definitely in the right place, here!

Welcome, from a fellow Cheesehead. I'm a little north of you, near Oshkosh. This forum is a very helpful and friendly group, and there are a few other Wisconsinites to be found on it.

Brian

Today is the day! It's been a long week waiting in excitement. I will post updated pictures once I have the car back home tonight. I was unfortunately only able to get a hold of a tow dolly instead of a trailer but it seems like that should work just fine from what I've read. It is ~110 mile drive home which is not too far

Today took much longer than expected. The seller of the car gave us private tour of his classic European car collection. Easily $500,000+ worth of classic bmw's, Porsches, Mercedes, and a couple of Peugeots and another x1/9. It was a very fun few hours of sharing car stories and drinking beer. Sadly this meant that I did not get home until well after dark. I only have a couple pictures on my phone from loading it but my wife got many more pictures on her phone.
IMG_20211016_164816214_HDR.jpg

The car is much more rough than the first pictures showed, but that was not unexpected. Some rusty spots that need to be addressed but honestly not too much for a classic fiat. The floor pans need to be replaced and some holes need to be patched on the trunk and the frunk. The passenger door also has some bad rust holes near the window. It seems like a very odd spot to rust out. I feel like finding a replacement door would be preferable over trying to patch the rusty one I have.
I did end up purchasing the spare set of wheels and the car came with a bonus x1/9 hood bra! I doubt I'll use it but it's cool to have.
IMG_20211016_210416886.jpg

image000001.jpg

I haven't taken any time to dig into the mechanics of the car. I did notice a nice puddle of brake fluid on the drivers side floor while loading the car though. A quick glance under the dash showed obvious signs of a leak around the top of the master cylinder. Does this likely mean that the MC is bad or is it possible it is just a line coming from the reservoir? I have not looked into where the reservoir is located yet in these cars.
I also saw that seller has a set of wheel spacers installed behind the wheels that are on the rear of the car. Is that something usual on these cars? I was under the impression that they were "stock" wheels. They are the same style as the nice set that I purchased along with the car

I haven't taken any time to dig into the mechanics of the car. I did notice a nice puddle of brake fluid on the drivers side floor while loading the car though. A quick glance under the dash showed obvious signs of a leak around the top of the master cylinder. Does this likely mean that the MC is bad or is it possible it is just a line coming from the reservoir? I have not looked into where the reservoir is located yet in these cars.
I also saw that seller has a set of wheel spacers installed behind the wheels that are on the rear of the car. Is that something usual on these cars? I was under the impression that they were "stock" wheels. They are the same style as the nice set that I purchased along with the car
Fiat placed a 5mm spacer behind each wheel. You can see my rusty spacer in this picture. It has two "pins" that thread into the hub thru the spacer and the rotor to hold everything in place.
new_rotor.JPG

Fiat placed a 5mm spacer behind each wheel. You can see my rusty spacer in this picture. It has two "pins" that thread into the hub thru the spacer and the rotor to hold everything in place.
View attachment 53792
Awesome, thanks for the information. I'm glad I got a full set of 4 of them. They look just as rusty as the ones you have

The reservoir is located on the passenger side of the frunk, near the windshield. Leaks at the master are common and means a replacement. There are many threads on this topic. I've done it in the car before ( what I was much younger and more flexible) but last time I took the recommendations here and removed the pedal assembly and did the brake & clutch masters together.

Congrats, on your purchase and joining us here. We look forward to a long relationship with you :)

There is a large Fiat group in Chicago. They are quite active, they have a meetup this coming weekend I believe to view a collection of cars from the 20/30s and 40/50s modified for veterans with disabilities. In early September they did Fiats Up North (FUN) and have had a number of other events over the summer. They are on Facebook, one can contact them also through email at https://fiatclubamerica.com/chapters-fiat-club-america/ choose the Chicago chapter from the map.

You have a lot to fix there body wise but none of it looks terminal, many of those areas are typical others are indeed odd rust spots.

Ask for suggestions first before jumping in. You might consider downloading the parts books (body and mechanical) from Mid West Bayless to get a good understanding of the relationship of the body parts. There are a number of good manuals available for these cars. I like the Haynes for the pictures and process, don’t trust their torque numbers. The factory manual is linked here in the Wiki and can be bought as a reproduction for a reasonable price. In aggregate the people here have fixed everything on an X, we can give you some good advice. You might read some tangental posts from people like Lookforjoe as he has rebuilt a fair amount of the body of his car over time besides turning it into a speed monster :)

In any case welcome and we look forward to seeing your progress.

Like Karl says, a lot of body work to do but nothing terminal. I would probably change the right door and the panel in the trunk. Not any concern about the top of the struts. The master cylinder seem to be leaking from the hose. Or maybe the white nipple. If it is still working, maybe just a new clamp could do the job or try pushing back the nipple in place. But it is a tight place to work on. If you remove the master, it could be a good idea to completely drop the pedal box to do so and then, also change the hoses from the reservoirs. Change both masters, you would be happy to do it while it is easy to do.

Back